Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 03-04-2012, 05:05 AM   #1
JKilgore

Hello From CA

Howdy All

Name is Jake, I'm from Riverside, CA and I'll be purchasing/financing a GZ250 from Beaumont Motorsports, Currently Working 2 Jobs(4AM to 11PM) so I can get the down payment quicker. I have decided this over the Honda CBR250 and Ninja 250 because of the gas mileage, Although Honda is very decent bike. I will be using this bike as my primary vehicle and also will be going on long distance trips once i get comfortable with the bike.

Just wanted to stop by and introduce my self

Jake

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-04-2012, 05:39 AM   #2
alantf

Re: Hello From CA

Hi there,

Long distance trips? Don't forget that the GZ is primarily a town bike. Don't even think of going long distances at freeway speed. You'll be wide open throttle, and not doing the bike a lot of good. It's happiest at 60-65 MPH. Also the seat isn't the most comfortable in the world for long distances. Not trying to put you off - it's a great bike. I've had mine for nearly 5 years, & I'm quite happy with it, but it is what it is - a small bike. I live on a small island where most speed limits are 30MPH, & the GZ nips through the traffic congestion like magic. It's a great starter bike for inexperienced riders, but I'd keep working the extra hours, because I've a feeling that in six months or so you'll be wanting to upgrade to a bigger bike.

All the best for your riding, & I hope you get as much enjoyment out of the GZ as the rest of us do. One thing I'd like to add. Get yourself an engine guard. Dunno why they call 'em that. It's job is to protect your leg from burning/squashing when the bike goes down. Notice I said "when" not "if" because I reckon that everyone on the planet who rides has had the bike go down at some time. BTW, if you're getting an engine guard, don't get the Suzuki one. Everyone agrees that they're a piece of shit. Someone on here will point you in the right direction for an American one. :2tup:

Having done my best to explain why the GZ is not good for long distances, I should point out that WaterWarrior's missus went half way across Canada on hers. He might be the best person to explain the best way to go about longer rides.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:41 AM   #3
JKilgore

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Hi there,

Long distance trips? Don't forget that the GZ is primarily a town bike. Don't even think of going long distances at freeway speed. You'll be wide open throttle, and not doing the bike a lot of good. It's happiest at 60-65 MPH. Also the seat isn't the most comfortable in the world for long distances. Not trying to put you off - it's a great bike. I've had mine for nearly 5 years, & I'm quite happy with it, but it is what it is - a small bike. I live on a small island where most speed limits are 30MPH, & the GZ nips through the traffic congestion like magic. It's a great starter bike for inexperienced riders, but I'd keep working the extra hours, because I've a feeling that in six months or so you'll be wanting to upgrade to a bigger bike.

All the best for your riding, & I hope you get as much enjoyment out of the GZ as the rest of us do. One thing I'd like to add. Get yourself an engine guard. Dunno why they call 'em that. It's job is to protect your leg from burning/squashing when the bike goes down. Notice I said "when" not "if" because I reckon that everyone on the planet who rides has had the bike go down at some time. BTW, if you're getting an engine guard, don't get the Suzuki one. Everyone agrees that they're a piece of shit. Someone on here will point you in the right direction for an American one. :2tup:

Having done my best to explain why the GZ is not good for long distances, I should point out that WaterWarrior's missus went half way across Canada on hers. He might be the best person to explain the best way to go about longer rides.
Hello and thanks for the speedy reply, Well I won't be open throttle i'm fine with cruising 65, maybe once every 300 miles i'll open throttle for a few miles then back down to 65.... I plan on purchasing a more comfortable seat or at least a pillow type cover for the seat. I plan upgrading to a 600 or 1000 next year, but will always keep this 250.. I do want to learn the ins and outs of this bike so i can fix it and do preventive maintenance.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
blaine

Welcome to the family.I like your plan.The G.Z. will go 60 to 65 all day with no problems.I put over 30 thousands km on mine in this manner and never had a problem.
:cool:

Old 03-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Welcome Jake. Congratulations on your decision to buy a GZ. As Alantf said, the GZ is great as a town bike but it will do a long distance in a pinch. You will find the GZ a great 1st bike with a very forgiving attitude towards first time riders. MC Enterprises makes an excellant crash bar to protect you and the bike in case you have a drop or mishap on the road. Your biggest safety concern should be proper armored riding gear for your own protection. If you can't afford it you can't afford to ride in my opinion. Budget for gear and the bike.
2 things we recommend for all new riders are professional lessons from a riding school and a copy of Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. Yeah........more budgeting I know but well worth it. You can never be too prepared for the foolishness of other folks on the road.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
PimpS

Welcome Jkillgore, you'll be boosted with knowledge of the guys here! I know i am!
Old 03-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #7
JKilgore

Howdy,

I do have a question though, What is the maintenance cost per year from oil changes to replacing parts? As I have just talked with my uncle and he says it costs more to keep a bike up in maintenance than it does a Car He also says a 250 isn't a good start because drivers in california are idiots and a 250 wouldn't be able to get out of a tight situation as much as a 600 would..

Any comments or answers?
Old 03-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #8
blaine

The maintenance costs are quite low,even lower if you can do your own.Oil filters are relativity cheap and you only need a liter & a half (1400 ml) for a oil change.Other things like brake pads are cheap and last well.Not to mention that you get between 60 to 70 MPG.
:cool:

Old 03-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKilgore
Howdy,

I do have a question though, What is the maintenance cost per year from oil changes to replacing parts? As I have just talked with my uncle and he says it costs more to keep a bike up in maintenance than it does a Car He also says a 250 isn't a good start because drivers in california are idiots and a 250 wouldn't be able to get out of a tight situation as much as a 600 would..

Any comments or answers?
Routine maintenance is cheap and relatively easy for most folks. The GZ is primarily a 3rd world bike where costs are a major factor and unkeep needs to be simple. A little more time is spent just looking for loose fittings and checking for potential problems but that is true on any bike. If a wheel falls off a car you stop. If a wheel falls off a bike you crash and bleed.

Your uncle is right and wrong. A 250 is not going to get you out of a really tight spot with power. However a GZ and some training will likely keep you out of a tight spot 99% of the time. Develop your riding skill on a GZ and stay off the major roadways where the high speed stuff happens. You do have to learn to walk before you can run.. Read, practice in a parking lot, repeat.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:54 PM   #10
JKilgore

Well thats the thing, I'm wanting to go on major roadways (I am wanting to take trips up and down the coast, to the beach, to Vegas etc etc) also Wanting to go back and forth to work/home. I am willing to learn the inside and outside of the bike i'm getting, I'm wanting to learn and know how to maintain / operate the motorcycle in a professional way.

I want to be able to accelerate fast enough get up to 65 on these short on-ramps that Cali loves to put on their highways, and want to be able to cruise 60/65mph without the engine over heating (like the CBR250 usually does at 75).

"The GZ is primarily a 3rd world bike where costs are a major factor and unkeep needs to be simple."
I hope I read that right You are saying that the upkeep is rather cheap?