Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 06-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
Skunkhome

Having splitting headaches after riding.

I have noticed that after riding I end up having terrible headaches. I thought it was because I wasn't wearing dark glasses but yesterday I noticed that my face was sore as well after riding. After riding at night I decided to raise the windshield to take the bugs over my head but the turbulence is so great coming over the top that my helmit and glasses vibrate constantly and so violently that it actually blurts my vision. Today I decided to take my windshield off and see how bad it was. Oh my goodness, what a difference! There is the sound of rushing air but my 3/4 helmit all but eliminates the noise. My vision is clear and after riding I don't feel like I just lost a fight. What a difference it makes to have your head cutting the air rather than being busted by a disturbed air flow. Maybe I should just get a face shield to keep from getting hammers by bugs at night. Have you guys with windshields tried riding without the wind screen? You might be pleasantly surprised.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
Rionna

Re: Having splitting headaches after riding.

Hmmm...interesting. I'm glad your headaches are better. That takes away the joy of riding if you're suffering afterwards. I have a windshield, but have had no problems. My windshield is normally splattered with bugs so I don't think taking the windshield off would be a pretty sight. lol
Old 06-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
JWR

Only 2 ways to have a shield.

Real short or real tall.

I too hate the wind blast on my head and eyeballs.

A small shield to take the blast off of my upper body is the best that I have found.

http://www.giviusa.com

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."

Old 06-21-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
fatoldfool

Probably wind noise is the reason for your headaches. I expect you are also suffering some hearing loss from the noise and buffeting. The top of your windshield should be level with your nose. A well designed windshield at that level should not have much turbulence. Back in the 70s I had an Aerofoil on a 550 Suki that you could actually smoke a cigarette behind. I made 300 mile trips with that one. Also rode it summer and winter. Since getting older and liking my comfort a bit, I have started riding a full face helmet part of the time. I think that is going to become permanent, mainly because I have severe noise induced hearing loss. I am more a fan of well designed windshields than a fan of big windshields.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
Rookie Rider

Try ear plugs.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:42 AM   #6
Skunkhome

I use plugs. The turbulence with the windshield in place is enough to loosen your teeth. And hearing loss? Huh? I have had tenitus for years.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:19 AM   #7
dentheman

I ride with a modular helmet, earplugs, and no windshield. The only problems I have with this is my eyes dry out from the forced air through the chin vent (I will get eyedrops) and my face shield and jacket get a coating of insect remains. I was thinking of getting one of those cheap windshields from Amazon, around $58 I think, to help with the insects on my jacket. But now I think the windshield might be too small on my Shadow. I am getting tired of taking my jacket out back and hosing it down after a ride.
But I would still have to clean the bugs off the windshield. It's a no-win situation!
Old 06-22-2012, 03:16 AM   #8
PimpS

Having headaches usually comes from simple reasons:
- dehidration - one of the first simptoms of it is headache, brains need water to function normally, otherwise they'll give you pain (having a hangover is very hard core form of general dehidraton of your brains).
- helmet size: when helmet is too small for your head, it usually results with headache, cause the pressure makes bad blood circulation, ergo less blood, less food and water for your brain, ergo headache...
- wind: being exposed to strong winds to your head can also result with a headache, but that is not a rule to everyone.

Dr. PimpS suggests: check your helmet size, drink plenty of water before riding and when you make a stop. Don't, even though many of you might bully me cause of that, drink beer - it makes your dehidration faster, unless you drink some non alcohol liquid before and after. Also, you say you wear glasses - if you are experiencing headaches also when you are not riding at all, many times the reason for headache is changed eyesight; if you are older than 40 and your vision was always short sighted, you might be experiencing your eyesight getting better (that's why a need for new pair of glasses with different eyesight), cause as we age our eyesight gets long sighted...
I hope i was understandable...
Old 06-22-2012, 04:23 AM   #9
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoldfool
I have severe noise induced hearing loss.
So have I. In England it's called "industrial deafness" from working with noisy tools. I just take my hearing aids out while riding.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:32 AM   #10
alantf

With regard to windshields :- I've been riding for the best part of 50 years, and NEVER been able to get one adjusted properly. I hate 'em. I always wear a ¾ helmet with a face shield. My latest helmet (an LS2) has the biggest face shield I've ever worn. You can pull it partly down (click, click, click principle) to just protect the eyes, or fully down to just under chin level, to protect the whole face.It also has a second, smoked, shield, operated by a little lever at the side, so you don't need sunglasses. I reckon it's the best helmet I've ever had, & definitely no need for a windshield.