Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 01-16-2015, 03:29 PM   #1
marauder1313

Long road trip across the U.S.A.

Hey everybody, ill be leaving my home in Vancouver B.C. this April, and will be taking my 2001 GZ250 across the lower 48 states for 6 months in total.

Ive already got a route (kind of) planned out, in order to hit every single state.
I guess what im looking for is advice or feedback as far as any places to visit that aren't super touristy but shouldn't be missed (especially on a motorcycle trip)

Im really looking forward to cruising down route 66 in some parts of the trip and touring some of the national parks in Utah.

In any case, id love to hear from anybody on this site who has any advice, or even a place for me to rest my tent for a night cause ill be camping pretty much everywhere outside the big cities.

Thanks for everything guys!!

Alan

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-16-2015, 06:32 PM   #2
Plavanchy

Sounds like an awesome trip-good luck
Old 01-16-2015, 06:40 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

WOW! That sounds like a great way to spend a few months. As you are likely already aware, the GZ is not a high speed bike. Take your time on secondary roads to enjoy the trip rather than dodging fast moving traffic on freeways.
Lynda rode her GZ half way across Canada and back with no problems to speak of. We travelled about 100kph(62mph) if the roads allowed. The bike was happy at that speed with a bit of throttle left in reserve. Just be sure to not let the maintenance lapse while on the trip. The GZ will do the trip but you must remember not to ask for more than it can do.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:00 AM   #4
marauder1313

Yea, im definitely going to keep up with the oil changes, chain maint and tires.
Ill be able to avoid the interstates for the most part. Only in a few places will I have no choice.
As long as I can get at least 125-150miles to the tank out of this GZ, i shouldnt really have to carry a jerry can.
I hope to be in good spirits for most of the trip, even though I know Ill get the occasional downpours. Maybe even see a twister or 2 in Oklahoma
Ill post pics and stuff once I hit the road.
My mission is to prove to all the harleys and goldwings out there that a little 250 is more than enough machine to see all the lower 48 states.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:29 AM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marauder1313 View Post
My mission is to prove to all the harleys and goldwings out there that a little 250 is more than enough machine to see all the lower 48 states.
Lynda got a lot of responses about a long trip with her GZ. Her personal response was the best. "I need a bigger bike." I can do it and the bike can do it but you have to work too much overall on the GZ.
The only thing the GZ will not do is act like a bigger bike with more reserve power and a higher cruise speed. The need for power against headwinds and long grades is a bit*h on a GZ. That said.............go on the trip, enjoy the ride and hone your riding skills to keep yourself safe. By the time you get back you will want a larger bike for the next road trip. Lynda upgraded to a Suzuki m-50 and did the same trip again without me tagging along. Not bad for a grandmother with a sense of adventure.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:50 AM   #6
Maggie

There is a guy who did a cross country and back trip on a Ninja 250 (I think I got the video link from this board, but will look to see if I can find it). In the meantime, try a YouTube search under "the little Ninja that could." Anyway, it will probably inspire you. If a Kawi can do it, so can our little workhorse GZ!!!! Make us proud!
Old 01-20-2015, 01:29 AM   #7
Fawlty

Good luck with this. If you need any inspiration, check out this trip:

http://www.mopedtrip.com/

I also came across this link over on the Vulcan forum, which may be of interest to you:

http://www.motorcycle.com/features/5...s-america.html

(Johnny Strabbler-The Wild One 1953)

Last edited by Fawlty; 01-20-2015 at 01:37 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:21 AM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Just remembered this. Back in the 70's a friend and I were driving up to Jasper Alberta in an absolute down pour with really terrible visibility. Slowly snuck up on a small bike in the rain. The rider was wearing garbage bags for protection and hunkered down fighting the wind and rain. He was riding a 125 Kawasaki 2 stroke enduro. Loaded down with wet looking camping gear and what not. Had to be a tough little bike and an even tougher rider. His bike had a Quebec plate on the back. He had to be at least 3000 miles from home and getting further away with every mile.