Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 12-01-2007, 08:49 AM   #1
Autumn

New Rider from Upstate SC...

Hello,

I took the SC Rider Education Course in October and recently became the proud owner of an '06 GZ250. My new baby is powder blue and only had 210 miles on her. I have all the gear and am busy trying to keep my skill level up and learning to ride safely in traffic.

I would like to do most of the routine maintenance on her myself. Since the bike does not have a center stand, how do you experienced riders stand the bike upright for oil changes, chain lube and tightening and wheel cleaning? What happens if you need to change a tire? I have both the MOM and Shop Manual.

Thanks for providing a great place for answers.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-01-2007, 10:15 AM   #2
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Welcome Autumn.

Get yourself a bike jack! With some carefully placed wood, you can get it to settle right on the frame of the bike and have at it. For some more security, strap the bike to the jack. Theres also a thread on making your own wooden stands.

Oil can be changed without a stand/jack.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 12-01-2007, 12:25 PM   #3
Autumn

Thanks for the advice, Dupo. I have read most of the forums and even read the General Maintenance forum...Page One. For some reason, I missed page two. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:51 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Autumn, congrats to you and the new ride. Give yourself a pat on the back for having rider training and all the gear. This is a great little forum with some pretty smart folks to lean on for help and advice. Ride On.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:46 PM   #5
Regular Guy

Welcome Autumn!

I know you will enjoy your bike. I wanted to share what I use for chain lubing, oil changing, tire work, etc.. It is a motorcyle /ATV jack I bought it at a local Harbor Freight outlet store. They usually have stores in larger cities around the country. You can go on-line to their website. [www.harborfreightl.com] and find the location nearest you or order online. The part number is 2792-4VGA, sale price is $ 59.99. I didn't like it a first, but after I made a simple modification and I love it now. To make it useful for the gz250 you should cut the brace (rectangular tubing) in the very front of of the jack. Remove the bolts and the front two rollers and using a hacksaw cut the brace off flush with the legs, the reinstall wheels with bolts. Be sure when remounting the front wheel to start the bolts from the inside -out towards the outside of the legs (this gives the needed room to use on the rear tire). Not to worry about loss of strength, the jack is rated at 1500 lbs and since the bike weight barely over 300# you still have a large safety margin. I will endorse this jack as strong, safe and easy to use. I have enclosed some pictures of it. When tensioning my chain I shim the lifting pads up in the front with scaps of the bar brace I cut off or flat bar scraps I have lying around so it contacts the axle frame just in front of the chain adjuster. This is to keep the chain tensioner up of of the rubber lifiting bars and from binding this will allow it to easily move back when tightened.

Ride Safe!

[/url]

Old 12-02-2007, 01:24 PM   #6
Autumn

Regular Guy,

I went to the local Harbor Freight and picked up the jack today. Still $59.99 through tomorrow. Thanks very much for taking the time to post pictures and your directions are just great. I really appreciate that. I have a friend that can help me with the modifications. One question through: What do you do about the front wheel? Would those wood jack stands do the trick there?

Thanks again for all of your help.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:22 PM   #7
Regular Guy

Hi Autumn.

I ve never needed anything besides this jack. I use it (from the rear) as shown in the pictures for chain lube and oil change. When I want to raise the front I slide it in side ways and carefully position the lifting beds under the motor and rear frame (not much to grab on to on a little bike like this), but you can certainly do it. From the side it will lift the entire bike off the ground and you can service the front tire, wheel bearings etc. I also do it this way when I want to remove the rear tire or chain. If you have any more question please feel free to ask me, I do not mind at all and let me know how you like it after you have used it.

Also, I recommend you save the scraps of the bar and cut them in to 2 & 3 inch prieces. These will come in handy for shims when needed to tighten the chain or bridge a support, etc.
The ony trouble I ever had was my jack tended to leak down some, the fix for this is to tighten a little screw on the lower back of the jack ( I think it tightend the release valve eale some or something. Its been a while and I did it once and neve rhad a problem since. Yours may not do it at all, just in case though.

Ride Safe!
Old 12-04-2007, 04:26 PM   #8
Autumn

Regular Guy,

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I really appreciate all of your help and experiences with the jack.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:38 PM   #9
Regular Guy

Glad to help you Autumn!