Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 10-14-2009, 02:05 PM   #21
dhgeyer

Re: Have questions GZ250 or Rebel 250?

I just watched the YouTube video of the Rebel on the highway, with the link posted above. It made me skeptical. For one thing, the rider/narrator was reading off speeds indicated by the speedometer. These are always suspect on any vehicle, and particularly on motorcycles in my experience. Also, that Rebel had a large windshield on it. Again, from my experience, a windshield, depending on its shape, size, and angle can either increase or decrease wind resistance.

I subscribe to a magazine called "Motorcycle Consumer News" (MCN). It is unique among such publications in that it accepts no advertising. All revenues come from subscriptions. They have an excellent technical staff, and do honest evaluations on any product they test. When something isn't worth the money, they say so. They also have a standard testing procedure for motorcycles. They treat them all the same, and do all of the same tests. They test the top speed by some means other than the speedometer. They do multiple runs on the same course, and take the highest speed they can get.

The last time they tested a Rebel was in 1996, and they got a top speed of 70 mph. That's about consistent with what I remember mine doing the one time I took it on a highway. I was unable to maintain 60 mph on a fairly significant incline on Route 89 here in NH. MCN got 62.2 ave. mpg fuel economy.

They tested a GZ250 in 1999, using the same procedures. They got a top speed of 78 mph, with combined fuel economy of 49.7 mpg. Not sure why the fuel economy was so low - everyone here gets much better than that. The top speed seems about right. More importantly, the GZ will maintain at least 60 in 4th gear, which will get you up virtually any hill you'd be likely to encounter, especially on the highway. That 60 mph figure may be low. I've never opened mine up fully in 4th.

The braking on the Rebel was much more impressive - 60mph to 0 in 115 feet as opposed to 123 for the GZ. The GZ had a little more HP and torque, measured at the rear wheel, and is a few pounds heavier.

They tested a Kawasaki Ninja 250R in 2008. To be fair, this is a newer model of Ninja 250, and used ones will probably be the older model. However, Kawasaki didn't change much that would affect performance. They got a measured top speed of 95.5 mph, with average fuel economy of 51.2 mpg. Again, this fuel economy is way below what we got with ours, but the top speed seems about right. 0 to 60 was 7.72 seconds, which is a little over half the time it took either the Rebel or GZ to do the same acceleration. The Ninja would be harder to maintain, since it would require removing body work, and the dual carbs would require synchronization. It also has twice as many valves.

Can't find any records of a test of the Vulcan 500. They tested a Ninja 500 in 2004, and got a top speed of 110 mph, with an average of 64 mpg. That's better fuel economy than what they got for the Ninja 250. That just doesn't sound right. Maybe a misprint somewhere. The Vulcan 500 has the same engine/transmission as the Ninja 500, with minor modifications to the cams and timing for better mid range torque at the expense of some raw horsepower at high RPM's. I don't think the Vulcan 500 would go quite as fast as the Ninja.

They tested a Honda Shadow VLX 600 in 1999, which presumably would be the newer model. Top speed of 90, average fuel economy of 40 mpg. We owned 2 VLX's at one point, one new model ('04) and one of the older models ('95). The top speeds seem about right to me, but we got a lot better fuel economy with both of them.

Points to ponder.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-14-2009, 02:40 PM   #22
New GZ250

Here's a link from AMA, comparing four 250cc bikes!

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/sch/0 ... index.html
Old 10-14-2009, 03:46 PM   #23
oakies

Bottom line...If your going to commute 50 miles per day, at any speed, You should have a bigger bike. At least 500cc. For around town the GZ is great, I use it all the time. But if I'm going anywhere farther than 20 miles, I ride one of my my Harleys.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:09 PM   #24
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal

The MPG values you see in review should be seen as the low end of the range. IMO, they probably really flog these bikes when they review them and that results in poor gas mileage. For instance, reviews of my Marauder 800 place the MPG at around 39 stock. I've got one with an aftermarket exhaust and rejetted carbs and I'm getting 49 MPG. I don't really flog the bike, but I'm by no means easy on the throttle.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:24 PM   #25
dhgeyer

I got my first bike in 1963. I had just turned 16, and gotten my driver's license. There was no such thing as a motorcycle license in New York State at that time. I bought a 1954 Harley Davidson 165cc Hummer for $110.00. On a good day it could get up to 50. Rode that for about a year. Next I got a new Honda 150cc. Not sure what they called it, but it was a mini version of the 305 Dream. I rode that bike from East Aurora, NY (near Buffalo) to Far Hills, NJ and back. Thought nothing of it. Back home from college for most weekends, 75 miles each way. For the first 6 years I rode I never could afford anything bigger than a 250 Ducati. I rode that thing all over, 250 miles in the rain one day that I can recall specifically. You can do that stuff when you're young. And if you're on a budget, sometimes you have to.

A bigger bike for commuting would be more comfortable for sure, but "Need" is a relative term. I think that starting out on a small bike (no bigger than 250) is also a good thing. Safer. There's something to be said, too, for buying a first bike that isn't exactly pristine, cosmetically. Mistakes happen. I hate being the first one to drop a bike. If you buy something not too new, not too shiny, and look around and buy it right, you can ride it for a few months or a year and sell it for most of what you paid. If you do a little fixing up you might even get more than what you paid. Then get the newer, bigger bike that you've been saving for in the meantime.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:51 PM   #26
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakies
Bottom line...If your going to commute 50 miles per day, at any speed, You should have a bigger bike.
He said the trip is 50 round trip; 25 each way. He also said it would NOT be on freeways.

That may be YOUR conclusion but I think a LOT of us would not share it. If you are riding roads where the speed limit is 55-60 mph, the GZ would be a fine choice for most people.

NOW because he is a fairly BIG guy, it might not be a good choice because of comfort but that's the only reason. Most riders can do 45 minutes or so on the 250 class bikes with no problem.....even with the crappy stock seats.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:15 PM   #27
JWR

The daily commute would be around 50miles both ways 5 days a week. I could take surface streets but I want it to be able to get on the Highway if need be once in a while.

I think he is talking about 100 miles per day??

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 10-14-2009, 06:39 PM   #28
alazar14

25 miles each way

50 miles total per day

5 days a week

250miles a week

About 8/12 months a year

Surface street speed limit = 50mph for the most part. Never over 50mph. A lot of 40 mph roads.

Total time it takes me going at that speed to get to my campus = 40min on surface streets

Total time it would take going at 65mph on the Highway = 25min

I don't really mind not taking the highway like I said. Even If I did I would be going at around 65-70mph for maybe 15 min of the 25 total. This would maybe be 4-6 times a month. From what Iv read there should be absolutely no reason why the GZ250 can't go 70mph for about 15 min one day a week without causing damage to it.

I don't plan to make any trips longer than 100miles ever...on a GZ250.

I plan to use surface streets about 90% of the time I ride 10% being Highway use.

Basically 90% of the time the GZ will never go beyond 55mph, and the 10% times it does it will be 70mph.

Hopefully I made things a bit more clear.

Also about my Weight and Size I am 6.0 Tall but I only weigh around 175-180lb Im a semi skinny guy but my backpack alone is like 25 more lb lol
Old 10-14-2009, 07:19 PM   #29
burkbuilds

Thanks for clearing up the proposed riding trip you will be making most days. With that information, I'd say you'd be fine with the GZ or the Rebel, but at 6' tall the GZ will be a better physical fit for your frame, unless you are mostly tall in the upper torso and short legged that is. I drove my GZ about 15 miles each way every week on I-75 to visit my mom and as stated previously I did two 250 mile round trips to Atlanta on it, so no problems going "highway" speeds for a while but you won't have much left at 65 mph if you needed to speed up to avoid anything which happens more than you might think. (Happened to me this morning when a pickup decided to turn left and broadside me, but I had enough power to gun it and he missed me! Barely.) Most of my riding to school was on Highway 27 (55mph speed limit). You weigh about 30 lbs less than I do, so I would expect that you could go a little faster on the GZ than I was able to do with a little less "strain" on the motor. It's a great motor, like somebody pointed out the only people we really hear about having any problems with the motor almost always drove it WOT all the time and didn't do squat for maintenance.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:45 PM   #30
JWR

Any bike that you like will do that with no problem.

You did not ask, but......
The Yamaha 250 V Twin will out pull, out run, get better fuel mileage, and is smoother than the GZ.
This is based on my 1400 mile Blue Ridge Parkway trip.

The GZ is more comfortable and less money.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."