Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 06-27-2007, 12:02 PM   #1
prof_stack

Noob from WA

Very nice site! I've been riding almost 40 years, using 7 motorcycles over that time: 90cc, 175cc, 499cc, 883cc, 1340cc, 482cc, 984cc. All pleasure riding. No commuting as its only 5 miles and bicycle is better for that.

My touring days are behind me and rides are now 50 to 200 miles per day, mostly on rural roads. My Buell XB9S is the best bike I've owned. No problems and it is maintenance free (except for oils and tire check) and averaging 58 mpg on the longer day rides. I don't scrape the pegs these days....

But I'm looking at the possibility of getting a smaller motorcycle to do these day rides and still be fun. I realize that losing 75% of the HP is quite a change!

Two days ago I test rode a GZ250, putting 20 miles on the slightly used (570 miles) '07 model. First gear was useless and it really should have a 16T sprocket on the front rather than the stock 15T as some people have done. But I was mostly impressed. I'll post some questions in the General section later and look forward to any answers you all can give.

Good to be here.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-27-2007, 05:27 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: Noob from WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_stack
Two days ago I test rode a GZ250, putting 20 miles on the slightly used (570 miles) '07 model. First gear was useless and it really should have a 15T sprocket on the front as some people have done. But I was mostly impressed. I'll post some questions in the General section later and look forward to any answers you all can give.

Good to be here.
And nice to have you.......even though without a GZ, you're just a poser! :roll:

You might want to have a look at the Suzuki S40 also. It the GZ's big brother. Similar in a lot of respects and only 50 lbs heavier.

The sprocket upgrade is to 16T; stock is 15.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:43 PM   #3
prof_stack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
And nice to have you.......even though without a GZ, you're just a poser! :roll:
You might want to have a look at the Suzuki S40 also. It the GZ's big brother. Similar in a lot of respects and only 50 lbs heavier.
The sprocket upgrade is to 16T; stock is 15.

Thanks Easy! I edited my post to indicate the 16T. The S40 is the 650 Savage in past days, right? I'm not as impressed with it as with the 250, at least right now.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:28 PM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_stack
The S40 is the 650 Intruder in past days, right? I'm not as impressed with it as with the 250, at least right now.
Yep. Me neither.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:47 AM   #5
birdmove

Prof Stack, didn't you ride a Blast before you got your XB?

jon in Puyallup.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:40 AM   #6
prof_stack

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmove
Prof Stack, didn't you ride a Blast before you got your XB? jon in Puyallup.
Yup, that's me; still riding and looking for new angles. Is your last name Neet? Or is my memory fading...?

If I hadn't test-ridden the XB9S in Dec of '02 I would probably still be on the Blast, a fun bike which treated me well. Interesting how priorities change over time. A smaller cycle now sounds good to me. Ideally I'd like a 400 or 500 single but there are none out there right now that interest me. The new Royal Enfield looks great but the Internet groups report continual problems with the bikes.

The GZ250 intrigues me somehow. And, of course, there is much fun in pursuing knowledge about new motorcycles.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:28 AM   #7
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I'll hold my "welcome aboard" until you get the bike

good luck in your decision,
Jonathan
Old 06-28-2007, 10:56 PM   #8
birdmove

Yep,thats me-last name Neet. I've been riding for over 45 years now. Right now, I ride a KLR650 and a Honda Ruckus. Just sold my 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic. I do like thumpers too.I have test ridden both the Blast and an XB9/Firebolt.Both were great rides. Another bike that interests me is the Hyosung GT250. Moto International is a dealer, and has new,leftover 2005s at about $2500.00.They are a 250 sporty v-twin.

jon
Old 06-29-2007, 08:18 AM   #9
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

And very fun to the ride. They are the only real competition for the Ninja 250.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:42 PM   #10
prof_stack

Thanks for all the nice comments, guys! I'm heading out to do more looking. Maybe another test-ride.

Is it true that one can get the best deal when buying on the last day of the month? :roll: