Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 02-23-2012, 12:33 AM   #1
vikz250

Future GZ250..very soon..

hello guys just wanted to say hi ! I am very close to owning a brand new one 2009 GZ250, most probably mid march but now I'm kinda feeling a little nervous about this. I have never riden any kind of motorcycle besides a scooter back in the 80's, I ride all kinds of bicycle, from road bikes to mountain bikes but this motorized thing is a whole new thing for me.I am planning on enrolling to one of those motorcycle schools so I can get my license and at thesame time get used to it, any words of encouragement will be nice..

here is the GZ250 I am considering ..I could have pulled the trigger today but I wanted to be very sure, it wont be to much a month ($58!! + 11 insurance no down no interest for 5yrs!!)..

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-23-2012, 01:26 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Future GZ250..very soon..

Words of encouragement !!!!!!!!!!!!! Yippee for you. Glad to have you join us here. Your riding class will be a lot of fun believe it or not. Also pick up a copy of Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. It is the bible of motorcycling.
Your experience on bicycles will help a lot too.
Did you set enough $ aside for proper safety gear ? A T-shirt and jeans won't cut it if you fall even at low speeds. Check out your local shop for riding gear that fits comfy and be willing to wear it every time you are out riding. It is a good habit to get into. You can buy stuff cheaper on line but you need to do a few test fits first. Maybe ask your dealer to give you a discount if you are buying the bike from him.
Helmets are a crap shoot so you must try on a bunch to find a real comfy helmet. Initially riding is expensive with all the gear and bike purchase but it is well worth the fun.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:41 AM   #3
vikz250

I have leather jackets that I can use and I have a friend who will let me try his helmet but I'll ask the dealer if they can hook me up for a good helmet too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Words of encouragement !!!!!!!!!!!!! Yippee for you. Glad to have you join us here. Your riding class will be a lot of fun believe it or not. Also pick up a copy of Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. It is the bible of motorcycling.
Your experience on bicycles will help a lot too.
Did you set enough $ aside for proper safety gear ? A T-shirt and jeans won't cut it if you fall even at low speeds. Check out your local shop for riding gear that fits comfy and be willing to wear it every time you are out riding. It is a good habit to get into. You can buy stuff cheaper on line but you need to do a few test fits first. Maybe ask your dealer to give you a discount if you are buying the bike from him.
Helmets are a crap shoot so you must try on a bunch to find a real comfy helmet. Initially riding is expensive with all the gear and bike purchase but it is well worth the fun.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:00 AM   #4
blaine

Welcome to our family & the world of motorcycles.Go for it,no second thoughts! As WW stated you have a good basis with all your bicycle knowledge.Your gonna LOVE IT !!!!!
:cool: :2tup:

Old 02-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
PimpS

Beautiful choice and bike! Have a good run and enjoy it!

Old 02-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
mole2

Welcome to the forum from South Carolina. Congrats on the bike. As for a plain leather jacket, it won't afford you the same protection as a motorcycle specific leather jacket with armor at the impact points (elbows, shoulders and a back pad). I own both a leather jacket and a mesh jacket (with armor) for the warmer weather here. The state of Washington requires that a DOT approved helmet be worn. Take the safety course BEFORE you go out on the road. It's the best investment in your safety you can make.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:24 AM   #7
greatmaul

Hi and welcome! I was a brand new rider just about 6 months ago. I rode bikes just a little, but not very much. I loved the motorcycle class, and I ride up and down the freeways and back roads here on my little gz250 all day long. I have a 2 hour commute each way and it's much more fun on the bike than in the car any day. With your extensive 2 wheel experience, I think you'll find it a blast.

I do second and third the nominations for good riding gear with armor. I found a lot on ebay for very good prices, including a brand new joe rocket suzuki jacket I just got for $20, originally $240. Also, 2nd the recommendation for David L. Hough's "Proficient Motorcycling." It's a great book. I got mine on amazon for a great price.

Be safe and have fun!!
Old 02-25-2012, 12:07 AM   #8
Rookie Rider

Welcome, yes get the mesh jacket with padding, you can take out the liner for warm days and the padding still stays in. Take it slow and learn the right way. Def take the class and buy that book mentioned above, you wont be sorry. Ride safe !!
Old 02-25-2012, 04:42 PM   #9
ecr959

Hello vikz250

Welcome to this forum, you have come to the right place. You will learn about safety, about maintenance, and about every facet of this sweet GZ250 that we all have. We all have the same bike, so the veterans in this forum really speak from experience. I know you will have fun learning and enjoying this motorbike.

BTW, I am curious about the sticker on the headlight. It says "82" whats that about ?
Old 02-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #10
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecr959

BTW, I am curious about the sticker on the headlight. It says "82" whats that about ?
I would guess,that it's still sitting at the dealers,that it's the "estimated MPG"
:cool: