Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 11-15-2007, 10:39 PM   #1
Regular Guy

Hello to everyone,

I ride a 2002 GZ250. I use it every day as a commuter bike and general transpoertation. I have done some mods: Drilled the jet opend the air box some, drilled the muffler, 16 T front sprocket, fabricated a rack that has underwent several evolutions and is now super strong. I have mounted to the rack a large industrial grade Fibre Form insulated instrument box that was surplus from an anlayzer job I did some years back and though it is ugly it is very funtional and that is what I am into on this bike. I use it like a pack mule for work, shopping, etc. I have done one adaptation some of you may be interested in. I adapted a windshield I bought out of JC Whitney called an F15 Touring style windshield. It is produced by National Cycle costs about $ 96.00. I forgot the exact model number if someone is interested I will try and get it or can call JC Whiney up and they can probably tell me the exact part number I ordered, but what is unique about this shield is that it does not clamp on to the handle bars at all. It is designed for older and bigger bikes like BMW's, Triumphs, Big Suzuki's, etc. and is made to clamp on the two large bolts on the side of headlight. I bought it with the idea that I would make my own bracket anyway, but much to my surprise, it bolted right on to the turn signal mounts straight out of the box. The reason I chose this style windshield instead of a handle bar clamp style was because I had a lousy experience with that type on my old "76 KZ750, and though I am sure they probably have improved them since then, I just thought I would avoid that kind if possible. Anyways, it installed very cleanly, no clutter on the bars and is strong. I like it a lot.

Added some reflective tape to be seen and night, some large bubble truck mirrors on the fork tubes to eliminate blind spots, some clip on bicycle led strobes for foggy weather ( these are great , they attach to a quick connect system that stays on the rear blinker tube and are super bright, not expensive either) + I use an old zenon fired strobe i had lying around on the rear for really foggy conditions. A little squeak horn because it amuses my three year old son, some small spot mirrors on my regular mirrors and that's about the main stuff.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-15-2007, 11:09 PM   #2
5th_bike

Welcome to the forum Regular Guy !

I joined recently after I got my 2005 GZ250 from someone who didn't use it. 670 miles so far. And it's still totally stock. I'm thinking about getting a windshield as a first addition.

This forum is really nice and quiet, apparently the members enjoy riding rather than posting on the forum - nothing wrong with that !
Old 11-16-2007, 09:42 AM   #3
Easy Rider

Re: New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regular Guy
I have done one adaptation some of you may be interested in. I adapted a windshield I bought out of JC Whitney called an F15 Touring style windshield. It is produced by National Cycle costs about $ 96.00. I forgot the exact model number if someone is interested I will try and get it or can call JC Whiney up and they can probably tell me the exact part number I ordered,
To say I'm interested in your windshield is an understatement. I've got a small one but not happy with it. Been thinking about a visit to the dealer to see what they know but I've been waiting in the weeds like a hungry Lion waiting to pounce on something that smells juicy; I think you're it !!!

Where are you located?
Any chance we can get a picture or three?

Old 11-17-2007, 11:27 PM   #4
Regular Guy

Hey guys/gals:

I will be glad to share the info on this windshield, but I will need to look for the shipping list (although I probably ditched it with the box) or I can call JC Whitney to see which one they sent me. When ordering it I remember telling them It wouldn't much matter which model they sent since they didn't make one for my bike anyways and I was planning on having to fabricate my own mounts to make it work. Just so happened what ever model they sent was a near perfect match for the turn signal brackets.

I will take some pictures and sent along soon as I can.

Thanks all and good to be part of the group.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:29 PM   #5
Regular Guy

PS

Oh I forgot to mention that I am in Lake Charles, Louisiana,

Old 11-18-2007, 11:35 AM   #6
Easy Rider

Re: PS

Quote:
Oh I forgot to mention that I am in Lake Charles, Louisiana,
Guess I won't be stopping by to see it any time soon, since I live in Illinois!
Old 11-22-2007, 02:54 AM   #7
Regular Guy

Details about the F-15 wind shield

Hi Easy Rider!

Sorry for the delay in getting this information to you, but I.ve been busy lately.

Ok, I called the order desk of JC Whitney. where I got it from, and after some research they gave me the model number of shield I ordered. It is MS013907b, price is the same, $ 95.99 + shipping (usually free with orders over $ 75.00 but this changes so ask). They are only offered in light tint. Sorry no clear offering, I wanted tint anyways, and I think it looks good. In stock 7-10 day standard ground delivery. The above info is for the sport touring wind shield. If anyone is interested, they offer a shortened version (cafe racer style/ crotch rocket type) in dark tint only, costs is $93.99, in stock and part number for this one is 2X013906. You can go on line and look at the pictures in their catalog.

I am going to try and attach some pictures of it on my bike. I've never done this so if they don't stick let me know and I will try again. I originally mounted it using a small bolt in the existing curve slot. You will need to drill a 1/4 or 5/16 inch hole in the turn signal bracket for slot in the windshield. Once you have the shield mounted on the bracket using the blinker stem it should be apparent where to drill this hole. The wind shield comes with some other clamps for using on the headlight installation (the correct application one) I did not use these. I suppose if you wanted to be creative you could figure a way to make a better bracket and use them. I chose to keep it simple. I ground the slots farther back, as much as possible with a rat tail file and a Dremmel tool with a small cylinderical stone (used a stone on each side), This but the angle of the shied at about45 degrees and worked well and it actually cut my wind resitance and added 5-8 mph on my top end, but the wind would buffet me just on the top of my helmet so after using it for 3 months and with the rainy season at hand I removed the blinker tubes one at a time and repositioned the bracket in front of the bolt (the one I had to drill and install originally) and allowd the shield braket to rest on the bolt and camptured it with the washer I had on it to start with. This brought the windshield from 45 degree to true vertical. I now get much beter wind and rain protection but some added drag, not to bad though. but everything is atrade off.

If you have questions just let me know and I will try and help.

Tips: Get a second pair of hands to help out. Cover the shield with cardboard to avoid straches. You can use SS or chrome wahers for better appearance than mine.

good luck!

Old 11-23-2007, 09:27 AM   #8
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Awesome! A utlity motorcycle. Good work.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:01 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

A small SUV. Can't complain about that.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:11 PM   #10
Easy Rider

Re: Details about the F-15 wind shield

Quote:
Hi Easy Rider!

Sorry for the delay in getting this information to you, but I.ve been busy lately.
Thanks a bunch. I guess I'm still looking. Your pictures came through perfectly but I don't think that is quite what I had in mind. I think it's a good thing that the GZ tops out around 65, 'cause the mounted angle of the shield would worry me any higher than that. I'd be afraid of steering instability.
Maybe someone else will find it useful.