Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 01-17-2018, 08:01 AM   #31
burkbuilds

My x-rays on Monday showed good bone healing in the thigh and knee areas, not as much around the ankle where the worst damage occurred but the Dr. did not seem surprised with those results and said it was just going to take time to fill in that much bone loss. Next visit they said they'd measure the length of my legs to see how much I've lost on that leg. He also told me I had a "floating knee". I looked it up, nothing to do with buoyancy, lol. Basically, it just means I smashed up my knee joint pretty badly and it's not stable.

I have a job interview next week with my former employer. They contacted me and asked if I'd be willing to talk to them about returning. We'll see how that goes.

Here's the latest pics of the x-rays.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-15-18 Ankle x-ray.jpg (86.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 1-15-18 Knee x-ray.jpg (85.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 1-15-18 Thigh x-ray.jpg (88.7 KB, 2 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-17-2018, 10:47 AM   #32
Vegas Street Rider

My daughter is an orthopedic nurse and I showed her your x-rays and she says you are making good progress given the extensive damage you incurred. Like me, she says be patient. The body's healing powers are miraculous but take time.

I have a floating knee from a ski accident years ago and although I have to be careful, I cope with it quite well. You will have to make some adjustments in your life but the upside is you have your life. Another plus is, if you are like me, your body will help you predict the weather. Trust me. You will know what I am talking about.

Continue to heal and God Bless.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:28 PM   #33
burkbuilds

Thanks for the encouragement, I really appreciate it. Sorry to hear about your job loss as well. I'm just hoping to get back in the workforce for another 8-10 years and then semi-retire, whatever that may mean.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:58 AM   #34
Water Warrior 2

I must have done something right in the past. I have never had a broken bone or serious injury with all the dumb crap I did. My worst injury was landing on my left knee after back flipping my 1st bike off a 12 foot cliff. Don't ask, it is too hard to explain and it wasn't intentional.
As for employment I made an effort to get a job with a pension plan and other benefits which were sometimes costly but did pay off in the long run. Worked with some pretty weird and wacky people sometimes but I held on to the retirement idea and pension $. Fortunately I was able to retire at 60 with enough to get by without starving. Had a little in savings which went to buy my retirement bike. I did accomplish my goal to retirement but it was a twisted road getting there. I am not the poster boy for making all the right decisions but the end justified the outcome.
So hang in there folks, things will work out with some persistance. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:59 PM   #35
burkbuilds

Two steps forward and three back

Well, I am making progress, although not as quickly as I expected nor quickly as I'd like. I am scheduled for more surgery on my foot, specifically my toes. Apparently some of the nerve damage there is permanent and I have several toes that are either "hammering" down and under my foot or just kinda "whonky" going off in weird directions. So they plan to operate later this month and pin them straight. Four weeks after that they remove the "pins" which are really screws (why don't they just call them screws?). All of which means I have additional recovery time to look forward to.

On the good side. I've been offered a position with a local manufacturer, but only once I'm up and walking again because they can't have me on crutches or a cane out in the plant for safety reasons. It may be April before I can do that but at least I have a position waiting for me. Yea!

Old 02-07-2018, 06:37 PM   #36
Vegas Street Rider

Mixed results but bottom line is you will be upright and breathing. That is a gift in itself. Will continue to pray for your quick recovery.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:29 PM   #37
Water Warrior 2

You may have a mixed bag of updates but the future is looking good overall in my eyes. Having a job to go to is surely a blessing not matter how you cut it. Let the surgeons take care of the medical issues and just concentrate on a complete recovery if that is in the cards. Got my fingers crossed for you.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:36 PM   #38
burkbuilds

I had the toe surgery on February 22 and I'm doing pretty good. I was a little concerned about the possibility that the pain was going to be severe, but either because I've damaged so many nerves in that foot I can't feel it or just because it wouldn't have been very painful anyway, not sure, but I'm not hurting much at all. I can't walk right now though because putting any pressure on the two toes I had the pins inserted in is a very sharp pain but the pins will come out in another couple of weeks or so and I should be walking pretty soon afterwards. I started back with Physical Therapy yesterday.
Feet are pretty ugly anyway so if you don't want to look I understand but here's a couple of pics of my toes after surgery and I had more x-rays done of my leg on February 26th and I'm starting to see some bone growth around the ankle area now, yea!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0046.jpg (81.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0049.jpg (83.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0045.jpg (82.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0050.jpg (88.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 03-06-2018, 09:23 PM   #39
Water Warrior 2

Looks like things are looking up a bit. Bone growth is a bonus I never thought of in your recovery. By summer you may be up and running a marathon just for fun.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:21 AM   #40
burkbuilds

Thanks WW, I hope to be able to walk without a limp anyway. I really haven't been able to run in years so I kinda doubt that's going to happen but I never really liked to run anyway, lol. As long as I can walk, I'll be okay with that outcome.