Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 05-03-2009, 10:37 PM   #21
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal
Re: which Rotella T

My whole point is that I've never heard anyone recommend a different cold weight oil for higher temperatures. Now, if you'd said 20W-50 instead, I'd have agreed with you.

BTW, as far as I know, the additives affect the cold weight of the oil. I.e, a 5W-40 and 10W-40 oil are made from the same 40 weight base, but have a different additive mix for the cold weight.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-04-2009, 04:05 AM   #22
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Quote:
Originally Posted by music man
I have been using it for quite some time now, and it works like a charm.
Ditto, and a LOT of sportbikes and trackbikes use Rotella-T Synthetic as well...and they generally run hotter, at a much higher compression and oil pressure and are usually abused a lot more than the GZ ever will be.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:37 AM   #23
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by primal
BTW, as far as I know, the additives affect the cold weight of the oil. I.e, a 5W-40 and 10W-40 oil are made from the same 40 weight base, but have a different additive mix for the cold weight.
If you really care about this stuff, maybe you should research it a bit.
The "stuff" that makes oil multi-viscosity is mainly viscosity improvers.
That is long molecular polymer chains that ball up or string out depending on the temperature.
I don't think that particular "additive" is even petroleum based......but I'm not sure about that.

Bottom line is: I really don't care because minor differences in oil viscosity are just not that important.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-04-2009, 10:23 AM   #24
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

The real differences/problems in viscosity usually only manifest themselves long after the time to change it has passed anyway.

Not to be confused here with the Energy-conserving additives, which begin to cause problems immediately in a wet-clutch system.