Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 03-04-2019, 12:26 PM   #1
BladeVortex

Razz Spring cleaning

As I was fogging the cylinder for the Siberian deep freeze here, I noticed that the piston head was absolutely covered in carbon. It looked like a piece of charcoal in there honestly, comparable to this. So here's my little game plan:

I'll do the first half of my normal routine for taking out of winter, which is Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinder the night before to somewhat lube the walls, then next day suck out the MMO and start it up. Here i'll stop before I do the rest of the "bringing back to life" routine.
After it's warm, ill move it to TDC compression stroke and fill up the chamber with either Seafoam, Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner, Berryman's B12, or something else, and let it soak for a day.
That's the big question, what's the best stuff for piston head soaks if you're going to be re-lubricating the walls to counteract the strong solvent i'll be using, and changing oil afterwards to remove that solvent as well? I figure that since i'm doing all that re-lubing I can pour a pretty strong solvent in there as long as it doesn't begin to eat the walls/piston head.
Anyway, next step is to suck out all the solvent, then fill with MMO for another night of re-lubing. The next day, I'll suck out the MMO and start it up for a minute.
Afterwards continue the "bringing back to life" routine. Carburetor cleaner then Seafoam sprayed into the intake while running to clean the valves and carburetor. Then change the oil and oil filter.
I believe this should be OK to do to finally satisfy my ridiculous quest for perfection on this bike. Let me know your thoughts on this, maybe even adding another kind of chemical treatment to my steps for further perfection

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-18-2019, 01:16 AM   #2
BladeVortex

Update so far, I've done the first MMO soak to bring it out of storage, and it fired right up very smoothly. So far so good. I did the Seafoam soak, and when I was sucking it out, it was amber colored, which is exactly what I hoped for. Now it's doing the second MMO soak to replace all the seafoam solvent.

Tags
carbon, cleaning, oil, seafoam, winterization