Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 05-26-2013, 11:46 PM   #1
hedgehog002

Hi form California

Hello there! I'm new to this whole thing so please forgive me if I seem to ramble. I am a new rider and just purchased a 2003 GZ. I also have a 2013 Honda Shadow 750 (which I dropped my first day out. :poorbaby Needless to say I figured I needed something smaller to develop my skills on. Took my GZ out today and have to say, I had fun and it felt great not having to worry about dropping again!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-27-2013, 02:56 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Hi form California

Welcome to the forum. You will likely drop your GZ eventually too. Yeah, it happens to all of us.
First things first. Have you taken a rider training course? If not then do it soonest. Have you read your copy of Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough? These are the 2 best things you can do for yourself. Keep practicing your skills as taught in the course and what you read in the book. Use the GZ exclusively for your own safety and well being. The larger bike will be waiting for you when you are a better more confident rider.
Also wear appropriate riding gear for safety. Dressing for an oops can be a life saver.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
Goose51683

Welcome Hedgehog. There are a few of us who are new riders. I can't even begin to explain all the great information on this forum, not to mention the quick answers for any questions you may have.

I would echo water warriors comment about the appropriate safety gear. We all drop our bike eventually and sometimes that happens when your traveling 60 mph. Trust me, every down side to wearing the gear will disappear in that 5 seconds your skidding across the pavement.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
hedgehog002

Thank you for the welcome! Yes, I have taken the motorcycle safety course and always wear my fullface helmet, riding jacket, boots and jeans when I ride. I will have to check out that book. The way I see it, the more knowledge I have the better.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Most riding courses are a short form of Proficient Motorcycling. Read it and you will see many more tips and bits to really improve the skills that you have. Read it cover to cover. I got back into riding at age 60 and thought I was a fair rider. The following year I did a course and a bunch of reading. I had to break a lot of bad/dangerous habits and soon realized my Guardian Angel had been working overtime for a long time to keep me upright and uninjured.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:36 AM   #6
mole2

Welcome to the forum from South Carolina. Ride safe.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:27 AM   #7
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
You will likely drop your GZ eventually too. Yeah, it happens to all of us.
So get yourself a set of engine guards/crash bars. It's the only thing that'll stop your leg getting trapped/squashed/burned when the bike goes down. I've been riding for nearly 50 years, and I won't ride without them. They're the only thing that saved my leg, a coupla years ago, when an SUV I was overtaking, suddenly turned left without checking his mirror or signalling, and the bike went down.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:59 AM   #8
hedgehog002

Thanks alantf for the info. I wasn't sure what they were called so I was looking for the wrong items. I will have to invest in some gaurds sooner rather then later.