Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 06-27-2013, 04:30 AM   #1
scott103

new guy in the sf bay area

i bought an 09 gz on saturday, after watching the price plunge over the course of awhile. i'd seen what most 250s in the area sell at, and i was deadset on a ninja or virago/vstar for awhile. i got onto the idea of a vulcan 500, that i wouldn't grow out of in a day or two, lol. I bought an 09 gz250 and it's working for now and possibly for a lot longer.

i've never ridden a motorcycle, but have had a lot of stick shift cars and knew it was for me for a long time. I bought an 80cc honda elite twist and go scooter that i rode for a year, had my first drop and several close calls with cages on my 12 mile commute. I finally moved up to a real mc and started looking at 250s, the suzuki was at the end of my radar, too slow, too slow, too slow was all i heard.

today instead of waiting for my friend with a van to get home, i just hopped on and took it a few blocks and started teaching myself to ride, and decided to give it a go and rode almost 50 miles home, majority interstate. for those with a scooter afraid to take the plunge, i say go for it. it's really forgiving, "my friends with real bikes", that haven't seen it, think it's a joke, but i don't care. even at 1/2 throttle, you will catch traffic without a hitch. that's all i want and all i need from it. the fat tire makes it NOT squirelly through grooves/ruts/holes, and it can rip pretty decent to get where it has to go.

I've had my license suspended or revoked for doing stupid things with a car...numerous times... this bike is perfect for someone like me. I hit an indicated 75 witha bit more to go, and 4th gear pulled hard to 60, didn't want to take it farther.

does anyone have a shield or fairing recommendation to make me feel less like i'm going to get blown off of the bike? btw, i'm a hair over 6' and 165-170.

btw, i wasn't running it at 75, i was running it at the line for 100kph, 62mph, and only hit it after the ramp onto the interstate after crossing the bridge. i had to know it was capable, lol.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: new guy in the sf bay area

First, welcome to the forum.

2nd, I'm kind of a seasoned rider and I've never owned anything larger than a 250. So there, for all the haters. The 250cc motorcycle was, at one point in the evolution of the bike, considered a strong mid-range. People used to take 50-125cc bikes on cross-country journeys. People who own smaller displacement bikes also usually ride their motorcycles more often than the people who spend $40,000 on 1500ccs on garage ornamentation. For the purpose of moving you about at a quick speed, saving fuel, being lighter on the wallet to purchase and just plain being fun, the smaller displacement bikes are everything plus some.

Now, that being said, there are times when you'll probably wish that you had just a little more umph. But, for the most part, you should be pretty set.

4th can get you into the 65mph range near the top end. These should do around 80mph with your slender frame. (We are about the same size.) Make sure you keep the oil level checked on. A valve clearance check would be a good idea too, depending on how many miles are on the bike. And if you want to add a tach for just a little more feedback, there is a how-to here on the site for that.... Come to think of it, there is a how-to for pretty much anything important with this bike. So check those out.

Again, welcome to the club. Make yourself at home and keep riding.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
Rookie Rider

Welcome aboard. Ride safe !!

Old 07-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
mole2

Welcome to the forum from South Carolina. Might I suggest you sign up for the MSF BRC (Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course)? It's the best investment in your safety you can purchase. Ride safe.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:14 AM   #5
haraldduus

Welcome