Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 05-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #1
oristorob

Old dog new trick

Hello everyone:
I’m Rob from SC, 64 years old, fully retired and never owned or rode a motorcycle until a couple a weeks ago. Needing to check “motorcycle rider” of my bucket list I purchased a 1981 Goldwing Interstate in very good shape for an old bike. I noticed that older guys seem to prefer Goldwings so I thought that’s what I should get. After falling twice (still have sore hand and foot but the road rash is almost heeled) and dropping the bike on it’s side another two times I decided that maybe the Goldwing is not a good starter bike. So back to craigslist and yesterday I purchased 2007 Suzuki GZ 250, 3600 miles and appears to be in good shape. I paid $1350 which I hope is a good price. I plan to learn on this bike, pass the drivers using the GZ 250 and hopefully move up to the Goldwing.

I went to the DMV Tuesday to test for a beginners permit and failed the eye test. I am due for an eye exam but being the cheapo I am, I planned to wait five more months until medicare kicked in so you tax payers can help pay. On the way home I noticed I had no problem reading the signs and decided I would go to a different DMV office and try again. Passed the eye exam and written test and got my beginners permit. I will get an eye exam this Fall.

Got to go get the GZ 250 off the trailer, go pay property tax, buy insurance and transfer the title (busy day). Oh, I may even go to Walmart and buy a helmet. All advise is appreciated.

Rob

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-24-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
Goose51683

Re: Old dog new trick

BUY A HELMET!

It sounds like we have nearly identical bikes and about the same riding experience and trust me a good full helmet is worth its weight in gold especially after that first wipe out.

Other than that I would say have fun!

I've also found a lot of value out of a thick leather jacket and some thick gloves. Just my opinion but tearing the tips off of your fingers sucks.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:22 AM   #3
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

You got a pretty good deal on the bike. I was expecting to see you say something like $1700-$2,000 or so. With 3600 miles, she is just getting broken in.

Welcome aboard.
THere are lots of threads that you should look through, regardling maintenance and stuff and familiarize yourself with the few quirks that this bike has, but generally just enjoy yourself. These things are very forgiving, they don't have any real serious issues that ever pop up and we have pretty good group of guys (and some gals) in here.

Soo.... welcome to the club

Old 05-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
mole2

Welcome to the forum from South Carolina. The best advice I can give you is take the MSF BRC (Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course). It's the best investment in your safety you can make and, if you pass, you won't have to take the road test at the DMV. As far as safety equipment at least get a helmet and gloves to start. Always wear long pants and boots. I shed the leather jacket around this time of year as it's just to hot to wear going into the SC summer. lol I prefer a modular full face helmet. In October you can come to the coast here for the fall rally and in the spring we have the crusing the coast rally (Myrtle Beach Rally).

Old 05-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Welcome Rob. As you found out the hard way, a Wing is not a starter bike. The GZ will be just the perfect bike to start your riding career. It may be a tad smaller but it is still a motorcycle without the weight and intimidation factor of a larger machine. Read Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. Also take a riding course with professional instructors.
Buy a good comfortable helmet. If it doesn't feel right you loose a lot of the riding experience. Wear as much protective riding gear as you can. You have already found out the results of an oops and us old guys don't recover near as well as we used to.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
blaine

Welcome to the family.Take your time & you will soon upgrade to the wing.Enjoy & ride safe.
:cool:

Old 05-25-2013, 03:04 AM   #7
haraldduus

Welcome to the forum, and enjoy your GZ, it is a great bike.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
JWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by oristorob
Hello everyone:
I’m Rob from SC, 64 years old, fully retired and never owned or rode a motorcycle until a couple a weeks ago. Needing to check “motorcycle rider” of my bucket list I purchased a 1981 Goldwing Interstate in very good shape for an old bike. I noticed that older guys seem to prefer Goldwings so I thought that’s what I should get. After falling twice (still have sore hand and foot but the road rash is almost heeled) and dropping the bike on it’s side another two times I decided that maybe the Goldwing is not a good starter bike. So back to craigslist and yesterday I purchased 2007 Suzuki GZ 250, 3600 miles and appears to be in good shape. I paid $1350 which I hope is a good price. I plan to learn on this bike, pass the drivers using the GZ 250 and hopefully move up to the Goldwing.

I went to the DMV Tuesday to test for a beginners permit and failed the eye test. I am due for an eye exam but being the cheapo I am, I planned to wait five more months until medicare kicked in so you tax payers can help pay. On the way home I noticed I had no problem reading the signs and decided I would go to a different DMV office and try again. Passed the eye exam and written test and got my beginners permit. I will get an eye exam this Fall.

Got to go get the GZ 250 off the trailer, go pay property tax, buy insurance and transfer the title (busy day). Oh, I may even go to Walmart and buy a helmet. All advise is appreciated.

Rob

Kids today...what can you tell them.
The GZ is a good bike to hone your skills.
Six years and six bikes later.

[attachment=0:2n4migaz]IMG_0934.JPG[/attachment:2n4migaz]

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 05-25-2013, 10:13 PM   #9
Rookie Rider

Welcome aboard. Stick around here and you will learn so much about your gz. Its the perfect starter bike man. Ride safe.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #10
oristorob

Thanks to everyone for the welcome and advise. It is appreciated. I am enjoying riding the bike around my yard and even took it out on my county road for a couple miles. I am not intiminated at all like I was on the goldwing. I am going to try to post a couple of pictures of my bikes.