Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 06-18-2010, 09:52 AM   #11
bonehead

Re: Totally true.

So how much would it be if you did your own fluid changes? have you ever done that or is it too complicated?
Just wondering cuz I'm not too sure I want to invest in a Harley with those prices.
I like to do most of the maintanence myself.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-18-2010, 11:55 AM   #12
Sarris

Bone; The only reason I have it done there vs another shop vs doing it myself is that I bought it there new and like their service.

It is always serviced by the same individual who knows my bike. My dealer will also give me a higher trade-in allowance for a bike maintained properly at their facility.

HD's take a 20w-40w heavy duty diesel rated oil and a spin-on filter, so I imagine you could do it yourself for $25-$35.

With the other miscellaneous fluids you could probably DIY for $80 or so. I understand it's not all that difficult (in most cases) to work on.

With 5k mile service intervals I don't use synthetic motor oil, but I do use Bel-Ray gear saver transmission oil.

I'm really not bitching, I'm just severely under-employed and running short-o-cash.

:roll:
Old 06-18-2010, 12:03 PM   #13
bonehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
Bone; The only reason I have it done there vs another shop vs doing it myself is that I bought it there new and like their service.

It is always serviced by the same individual who knows my bike. My dealer will also give me a higher trade-in allowance for a bike maintained properly at their facility.

HD's take a 20w-40w heavy duty diesel rated oil and a spin-on filter, so I imagine you could do it yourself for $25-$35.

With the other miscellaneous fluids you could probably DIY for $80 or so. I understand it's not all that difficult (in most cases) to work on.

With 5k mile service intervals I don't use synthetic motor oil, but I do use Bel-Ray gear saver transmission oil.

I'm really not bitching, I'm just severely under-employed and running short-o-cash.

:roll:
I'm sure everyone is feeling the pinch. I know I am. That's why I am really researching before I do get another bike.
Thanks for the info, very helpful. :2tup:

Old 06-18-2010, 12:06 PM   #14
dhgeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
Ever wonder what those initials truly mean?

Bring Money With
Bring My Wallet

Bring More Wampum

In 2001, driving up a freeway in CA, Sue and I saw a pickup truck with carefully modified manufacturer labeling on the tailgate. It was one of those look, something ain't right, look again, laugh. Subtle and well done.

MITSUBISHIT
Old 06-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #15
dhgeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead
I'm sure everyone is feeling the pinch. I know I am. That's why I am really researching before I do get another bike.
Thanks for the info, very helpful. :2tup:
Odd as this may seem, you might consider BMW if you're thinking along the lines of doing your own work. If you get a naked one (Roadster), they're one of the easiest bikes to maintain. Due to their design, there's no need to run motorcycle oil, as the clutch isn't in the oil bath. Routine maintenance parts don't cost any more than for other bikes, with the possible exception of oil filters, but that's minor. You don't have to remove the tank to do a valve adjustment or throttle body sync. If you get one with the Telelever front suspension there's no routine maint on the forks. Shaft drives require very little attention, and what is required is infrequent and easy.

Some cruisers, including most of the current Suzikis, have self adjusting hydraulic valve lifters and only one carb/throttle body. Those two features eliminate a lot of work, so that's another possible way to go. Get one of those with a shaft drive, and there isn't all that much to do on a routine basis.