Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 11-08-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
Mrsk1w1t1m

New Rider

I am a new rider thinking about the GZ250. I have heard wonderful things about this bike and I have been told over a dozen times it will be too small for me in about 3 weeks, that big trucks will blow me off the road etc etc. Could anyone provide me feedback? I am almost 45 yrs old and short (5'3") and most bikes don't fit me.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-08-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: New Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsk1w1t1m
Could anyone provide me feedback? I am almost 45 yrs old and short (5'3") and most bikes don't fit me.
Don't have much time 'cause I'm going out for a group ride here shortly but.........
The GZ is a perfect bike for a small person; I'm 5'5" with a 28" inseam and it fit me perfectly.
So does my Shadow 600.

Whether or not it will be a good permanent bike for you is a very personal thing.

While you are waiting for more detailed answers, please browse through the old message threads here.......or use the search function. "Is the GZ right for me....." has been discussed a LOT in the past.

Oh, and welcome !!
Old 11-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

MrsK, don't believe everything you hear as 100% truth. You may or may not outgrow a GZ. It is up to you and your riding needs and experiences. My SO rode her GZ for almost 3 years in total happiness and gained a lot of experience and the necessary skills to ride a larger bike with confidence. The turning point for Lynda was a ride half way across Canada and back. Lynda is a 5'3" grandmother who never rode a bike until she got her GZ. Now she rides a 800 V-twin Suzuki cruiser with a few simple modifications to make it fit. Don't worry about outgrowing the GZ, take your time and enjoy a smaller bike and it's capabilities to the fullest.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:18 PM   #4
alanmcorcoran

If you plan on doing a lot of highway riding and you only want to buy ONE bike, then don't get a GZ. On the other hand, if you've never ridden before, you will be safer and have more fun on a GZ while you are getting up to speed. Personally, I think you should have about 3000 miles on a starter bike before you get into a heavier (750 and up) bike. You won't see many people taking the test on a 800 pound bike. Stick to non-highways.

The downside of a starter bike is they can be hard to sell (depeding on the supply, the price of gas and the economy - all of which are working against the seller right now) , so try and find a used one that runs well and you can get for under 2K. I have a pristine 2008 for sale, but it's not worth it to me to sell it for 2K... yet.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
Mrsk1w1t1m

Thank you all for your responses. I have found a 2000 GZ250 for under $2000 and it only has 14,000 miles on it. I am a little nervous about getting a bike and think this one will be perfect for a while. I appreciate all the input.

MrsK1w1Tim
(Debbie)

Old 11-08-2009, 10:48 PM   #6
mrlmd1

~$2000 sounds a little high for a 9-10 year old bike with 14,000 miles.
If the bike is 9+ years old - make sure you check how old the tires are, in addition to how much they are worn, also check the date stamp on the sidewall of the tires. If they are 6-7 years old, the rubber gets hard and the grip is much less than young tires. Replacing both tires and mounting them may cost you another $150-200 and up depending on where you go. Also ask for the maintenance records. Don't just jump at the price of the bike.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:04 PM   #7
diffluere

I paid $1500 for a 2002 gz with only 4200 miles. I think 2000 is too much for a bike with almost 4 times the miles! Maybe you can talk them down a little bit. I ended up spending another $300 on new tires and $50 on a windshield, plus getting a tag and registration so in the end I almost paid $2000 for it. Then again, I am in Florida and things tend to be cheaper here (vs. say, california. not sure about arkansas).
Old 11-09-2009, 02:27 PM   #8
dannylightning

with 14k miles on a gz that old i think i would only pay about 12 hundred. when i bought my gz i got a 2003 with around 2k miles on it for 1800.00
Old 11-09-2009, 03:11 PM   #9
Mrsk1w1t1m

Well looking at Craigs List I found a cheaper one. Gonna go look at it. Thanks everyone!
Old 11-09-2009, 11:15 PM   #10
Larry in Arkansas

Debbie,
I sent you a PM about a 2005 GZ I have for sale for $1100. It is listed on Craigslist for Little Rock, AR. I've not sent a PM on this forum before and didn't get and acknowledgement that the PM was sent.