Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 06-08-2015, 05:25 PM   #1
apaz

Broke my bolt

So... the title sums it up, but here's some more detail. A while back I had a leaky situation going on with the cylinder head. I got a flat tire in the middle of last winter and put her away to work on till this summer. I have her back together but I still have that leak. With the awesome suggestions of you guys (and gals), I torqued the bolts down and got a bit over zealous on one of them and broke it. Now I guess it's hard to deny that I have a leak.

Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone knows about getting the bolts that go there. I am checking out BikeBandit, but a little unsure about which one I should be getting.

What is the level of difficulty for the job? Can it be done in a weekend? Can i get the head off without taking out the engine? I know I need to replace the gasket, but is there anything else that I should replace while I'm in there? Maybe a list of other gaskets and stuff?

Sorry if I'm asking questions that have already been asked. I'm attaching pictures of the area I'm focusing on.

You guys have been awesome in the past and thank you in advance.

Armando

QUICK EDIT: Just chatted with Bike Bandit and they say that it's #12, and hurray for me, #12 has been discontinued. Anyone know of another good possible place to find that bolt? Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-06-08 07.22.48.jpg (85.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-06-08 07.25.08.jpg (83.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot from 2015-06-08 14:03:49.jpg (19.0 KB, 15 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by apaz; 06-08-2015 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Added some updated information
Old 06-09-2015, 03:31 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

The info page will give you the dimensions of the bolt. A big box hardware might have it. A Nut n Bolt store will surely have one or get one for you. Another source may be an industrial supply shop.

I think that some minor stuff like bolts etc are discontinued by the bike manufacturers when the aftermarkets covers the market so well.

When I first read ":Broke my Bolt" I thought you just got a new Yamaha "Bolt" and had an oops.

Last edited by Water Warrior 2; 06-09-2015 at 03:34 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:25 PM   #3
apaz

Hey there Water Warrior 2. Thanks for the reply. I am doing some looking around. When you say "info page", which one are you talking about? I've just seen quite a few pictures, but not sure about dimensions. Once I have those, I'm going to go out on the hunt for it.

Yeah, I suppose the "bolt" reference could lead someone in that direction.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:41 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by apaz View Post
Hey there Water Warrior 2. Thanks for the reply. I am doing some looking around. When you say "info page", which one are you talking about? I've just seen quite a few pictures, but not sure about dimensions. Once I have those, I'm going to go out on the hunt for it.

Yeah, I suppose the "bolt" reference could lead someone in that direction.
Had another senior moment. I was thinking that the parts fiche would give dimensions but alas, it only gives a part number.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:06 PM   #5
spldart

Is that not one of the long bolts that travels from the motor case all the way through the jug to the cyl head?

If so I'd be hunting a salvage motor from a bone yard to be my parts donor. Along with a full
set of gaskets and o-rings (if applicable) to do a quick rebuild.

You did say P.art N.o L.onger A.vailable right?

N.ew O.ld S.tock?

And if this is the case then it's time to maybe consider how much your willing to invest in the problem.

How many miles?

Old 06-10-2015, 06:04 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

ebay helped me acquire some new old stock(NOS) for the GL650. Definitely needed a complete gasket kit. Got one.
There seems to be a lot of bike wreckers out there with slightly used serviceable parts. Check them out. Looking is free.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:43 PM   #7
apaz

Well alright, I feel pretty silly now. I contacted Suzuki directly and well with fresh eyes, it turns out I was orienting the diagram the wrong way. Seems I need bolt number #13 and not #12. Oops. Got a part number and going to get on it pretty quick.

Water, thanks, I'll be looking on ebay for a front right fork cover. I have a knick in it and I want to get around to replacing it. Never done front fork work before. Any advice, links, videos you might be able to point me towards? Thank for the help.

spldart, thanks also. I didn't even think about junk yards which is crazy since it should be part of the male dna. Not sure where there might be a junked motorcycle yard around Seattle, but I'll start doing some research. I think I'm just going to replace the main gasket because i kind of want a quick turn around on this since I'm want to use her for my alternate mode of transportation, when I'm not on my bicycle, for a new job I just got.

Alright, I'll let you fellas know how it goes. Thanks for the input.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:06 AM   #8
apaz

Hey there fellas. So I know it's not too kosher to double post, but I thought I would drop a quick line in hopes of getting a quick response. I'm removing the cylinder head cover and I can't find the size of the socket needed to rotate the crankshaft to line up the "T". You guys know, before it gives me a reason to buy a new set of larger sockets?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Engine disassembly screenshot.jpg (14.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-23-2015, 01:32 PM   #9
gz4me +

It is a 22mm socket.