Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 01-02-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
alanmcorcoran

Anybody ever ride a Stratoliner?

It's a big tourer from Yamaha. I am thinking of renting one to get a feel for a bigger bike. It's a bit bigger than what I was aiming for, but it is hard to find rentals of 600cc bikes where I am. I'd be especially interested in anyone with about 3000 miles riding experience on the GZ that traded up to an 1800cc class "touring/cruiser."

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-02-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: Anybody ever ride a Stratoliner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
It's a bit bigger than what I was aiming for, but it is hard to find rentals of 600cc bikes where I am.
A "BIT" bigger ??? I guess !!! :roll:

Good idea but a little off track with an 1800, I think.

Have you checked with Harley dealers?
They often have Sportsters to rent (883cc) and/or "cheap Jap. crap" taken in on trade that they love to make a few bucks on by renting out.

Not only is it hard to find 600cc bikes to rent, aside from sport bikes, there aren't many to buy either.........but there are LOTS of good things between 800 and 1800.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:24 PM   #3
alanmcorcoran

Rode the Strat today. I was surprised at how much of the GZ experience carries over. I was somewhat nervous about climbing on something that much larger and heavier, but once I was on, it wasn't that much different to drive than the GZ.

Of course, it does 75 in third gear and I only got as far as fourth gear (and I was forcing that - didn't really need it. Kind of makes me wonder how often people make it into fifth and sixth...)

And, to second Dupo, there is a huge sh*t eating grin that is hard to get rid of once you climb on board. Plus, it sounds real manly at the traffic lights. I almost don't look like a pussy with all my ATGATT crap on. Being the sort that tends to regret not going "bigger" or "better" I've all but decided I will skip the 600cc category for my next bike and focus in on the 1100 and up bikes.

Hey Moe - I'm going to take the Strat up to Monterey later this month. The guy has three of them - you maybe want to come with?

Old 01-02-2009, 08:48 PM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Of course, it does 75 in third gear and I only got as far as fourth gear (and I was forcing that - didn't really need it. Kind of makes me wonder how often people make it into fifth and sixth...)
Oh crap. The bug has bit him!
Been nice knowing you, Alan. :roll:

You're welcome to stick around on here with us wussies if you want.

One caution: There is a LOT more mass moving around in the engine of the big V-twin. Those engines aren't as tollerant of being rev'ed out as is the little thumper. 75 in third is a little much.......if you want the engine to last very long.

Much like the GZ, 4th is good for curising around town, above 45 or so and 5th is overdrive, highway use.

I think you are making a BIG mistake overlooking things in the 800-1100 class.
You do realize that there are a bunch of CARS with engines smaller than 1800 cc, right ??
At some point, a bigger engine is just wasteful.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:26 PM   #5
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
The 'Liner has floorboards...
It does, but the riding position is about the same, if not a tad worse. One minor adjustment I was conscious of was having my shifting foot a little more forward. I didn't get enough time in on the beast to rate the relative seat comfort (also, my brain was kind of mostly in "Ho-Leeee Geeeze" land, tuned into the power plant rather than the ass plant.) I think the pegs on the Suzie sit more directly under foot which is where I like them. The Stratoliner is not "chopper style" though. Even with the floor boards (more like generous foot rests) the position is not too radical. I did notice the wheel base seems to be a lot longer and the windshield sits a lot more forward. It also has an actual gas gauge and left and right turn indicators on the tank. Plus, the one i rode had a GPS mounted on it. Didn't look at it much, but it is probably more handy when you are out in the middle of nowhere.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:13 AM   #6
Moedad

Quote:
Hey Moe - I'm going to take the Strat up to Monterey later this month. The guy has three of them - you maybe want to come with?
It's long been a dream of mine to ride Hwy 1 on a motorcycle. I'm definitely interested, depending on my finances.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:07 PM   #7
Sarris

Alan;

If your gonna go big, try a Harley Street Glide, $18995. There is no better. The way a Harley fits and feels is like no other. It feels like it's painted on you. It'll make that Startoliner feel like a battleship. (I have a friend who owns one, so I've ridden one, FYI) Plus on the HD you get AM/FM/CD/CD-MP3, great fairing, cruise control, full guages, hard bags, etc.....

I've had my 2006 for about 2-1/2 years and have about 30K without incident.

:banana: :chop: :banana:
Old 01-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #8
alanmcorcoran

Thanks for the tip Sarris. Harleys are more easily found for rent. After I get some miles on the Strat, I will find an HD to compare. FYI, the Strat's geometry made it feel very UN-battleship like to me, but obviously, without having ridden any other large bikes yet, I have no point of reference but the GZ. I have sat on a 1800cc Gold Wing and it felt like the center of gravity was higher, but how much can you really tell when they aren't moving. Plus it's a straight tourer, and the Strat is less tourer, more cruiser-ish. I'm not sure which is what I want yet.

Any mechanical problems with the HD? I see a lot of knocks on HD quality (and price) on the Internet (The Strat is about 2K less, but price is not my primary concern.) Did you actually pay $18995 or do they sell them for less?
Old 01-03-2009, 08:00 PM   #9
music man

Quote:
( price is not my primary concern.)

That Must be nice, I wish just one time in my life in shopping for a vehicle of any kind, two or four wheeled that I could say that. And From what I have heard, Harley-Davidson Motorcycles are leaps and bounds more reliable than they were 10-15 years ago, but Sarris would probably be the ultimate authority on that.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:29 PM   #10
Easy Rider

Quote:
FYI, the Strat's geometry made it feel very UN-battleship like to me, but obviously, without having ridden any other large bikes yet, I have no point of reference but the GZ.
I'm biased.......
against the land cruisers and toward a sport tourer.
Honda ST1300
Kawasaki makes one
Yamaha used to, now don't know
BMW makes several.

Second point is: I think this next year will be a good time to shop for an "upscale" bike as I suspect there will be more than a few repo's. Sad but good for somebody shopping with $$$.
A little patience might land you a really sweet deal.