Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 01-06-2009, 09:04 PM   #11
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Re: Riding for fun and adventure...

Dig through this site: TotalMotorcycle.com

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-06-2009, 09:21 PM   #12
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
7) RV like luggage space. I might be making a mistake here, but a part of me says, "hit the road with a toothbrush" and a few pairs of washable unmentionables. I am also not likely to be sleeping in a tent.
A rational analysis.....except maybe for #7. That's what I like about the sport-tourers; integrated hard "bags". Not RV like but enough space in the two side bags for a good rain suit AND some practical groceries. Add the top tub in place of a passenger and you've got enough space (that looks GOOD) for a spartan road trip......and it's all weather protected and under lock and key. Space enough to keep a "suit and tie" to swap for the leathers that you ride to work in.
As long as you are being "douchebag practical" ........... :biggrin:

Edit: OK, here ya' go. Notice near the bottom the "Locate dealer" button and one called something like "Arrange a demo.". I've heard that these folks can be VERY accomodating.....if they know (or reasonably suspect) that you actually have $$$.

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/bikes/bik ... ction=tour
Old 01-06-2009, 09:34 PM   #13
mrlmd1

Alan's seriously got the bug, he's almost gone. Pretty soon we'll see an ad for a 2008 GZ on here.
And kiss that 65mpg goodbye and watch what happens in the spring when gas is back up over $3.00/gal. He'll miss the little ole GZ. :poked: :cool:

Old 01-06-2009, 11:33 PM   #14
Water Warrior 2

Alan, your top/bottom 10 list makes me think you should seriously look at the Suzuki M-50.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:08 AM   #15
Water Warrior 2

Oh, just remembered. Yamaha has a new 950 CC V-twin. Have a peek at it too.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:42 AM   #16
mr. softie

A few thoughts Alan. I happen to agree most of your criteria are sound.

I have ridden my gz on 400 mile a day rides and that is really pushing it. I was happy to get home to be sure. Perhaps on back roads or smaller highways with lots of breaks it would be better, but still more a test of endurance than fun. I would say 150 to 175 miles per day would be perfectly ok on the gz250. (that's with my marvelous seat mod of course!)

There is a happy medium I think for most touring. I don't think you need an 800lb 1800cc bike to enjoy the ride. It is more about a bike that fits you, is quiet and smooth, reliable as all hell, that can carry the gear you want to carry, on roads you want to ride on. As mentioned above the 600, 1200 or 1250 Bandit makes a nice touring bike with some soft luggage. Lots of people tour on VStroms. Others are partial to FJRs or Ninjas. Harley Davidson owners swear by their bikes. I rode my Moto Guzzi 850 bagger all over the place and had no problems with all day multi day rides. That bike was ~450-500lbs and only ~ 45hp. Plus it was stylish and handled like a dream. All day on the slab is boring any way you do it, But a Valentine 1 and a bike that will cruise all day at 100mph+ make the miles melt away(1000 mile days!) I am not condoning such a thing of course! A bike that is fun to ride is a top priority.

As far as some of the other bikes mentioned:

Big BMW Touring bikes are great but very expensive to own and maintain. Probably best wind protection and ergos of any touring bike. Lots of features. Transmissions can be troublesome.

Honda ST1300's also expensive but very smooth and reliable. Kinda plastic-y looking, but easy to clean (No chrome!) ST1100's can be found much more reasonably, have better luggage, but not as nice a bike as the 1300. The Gold Wing is tops for straight touring but would you really want to be seen on one? Or worse have one fall on you? (800lbs!)

The Kawasaki Concours' are also nice, and have a large support group of loyal owners. And the 1000 can be found in great shape for ~$3000.

The biggest problem I see with big fully faired touring bikes is they lose nearly all their value if they get scratched up or you break any of the plastic. Plus the expense of parts. $250 for a headlamp???

That's just some of what I have read of course I could never afford to buy or maintain any of the big fancy touring bikes! Also notice how many used ones are being sold because the owner has a bad back etc! These things are huge and top heavy and like a pile of bricks till you get them rolling. The rider is one slippery foot plant away from a broken leg. An average size man has to tip toe them at a stop. Plus you need pavement to ride these things on. Get stuck on a soft shoulder or sand etc. and you stay stuck till a wrecker can be called in. I would rather have a bike I could pick up by myself should it fall over, one I could ride down a dirt or gravel road or on dirt or sand with some control, while at the same time be capable of comfortable all day rides. And I need it to look like a motorcycle and not a two wheeled car. Any suggestions?

On the other hand I looked at a 1978 Yamaha XS 1100 yesterday. Thought I might fix it up. 6 1/2 gallons fuel and 45-50 mpg. All day comfort. Lots of cheap parts on eBay. Sub 12 second quarter mile and 135 mph top speed if one were to be so inclined. Shaft drive. Floor boards. 600 lbs and 100 hp. all for about $500 plus some elbow grease and a new tire. Less than a dollar a pound! Highly rated touring bike...
Old 01-08-2009, 04:26 AM   #17
alanmcorcoran

Thanks for your time and thoughts softie. It's unbelievable to me how many bikes there are out there to choose from. Although I am a recovering impulse buyer, I am making a big effort to take my time before I dive into another bike. The GZ has worked out perfectly for me for what I bought it for, even though I bought it essentially by default. I had said previously I would probably keep the GZ (like Sarris has) if I buy something larger, but, the more I think about it, the more I think that's not going to happen. I can afford two bikes, but I'm having trouble seeing me making effective use of both of them. Plus I barely maintain one. If I have two, and one is sitting a lot, I can see more overhead and trouble. I need more room in the garage, etc. Patrick and Sarris have done it, but I think they are both more serious riders than I will ever be. Haven't decided for sure yet, but this is making me think I need something practical for everyday around town and that I can take on a multiday trip. So I'm kind of letting go of the 1800cc idea and thinking more of the 600-800cc range. I still plan to rent the big Strat and take a ride up to Monterey. Maybe I will totally love it and then I'll feel better about dropping 15K on a big tourer. I know what you mean about the Goldwing, if i sit on one I'm gonna instantly age 10 years and bye-bye girlies. But, if I really like it, I don't care what I look like. (Besides, the girls only love me for my money anyway.) It's the weight and all that goes with it that bothers me.

It's a shame the GZ isn't just a tad more beefy (say a 350) or I would keep it indefinitely. I'm starting to understand the obsession with squeezing an extra ten mph out of one. I know the big bikes bring on a whole new set of problems, but I was thrilled with the easy power of the Strat after flogging my poor GZ to death to stay alive on the 55. Maybe I'll keep the GZ and just rent the big ones when I want to go somewhere far.

I've seen a lot of potential bikes on Craigslist (in fact, a 2005 Yamaha 1100 Custom(?) caught my eye), but my lack of mechanical smarts is going to make me susceptible to being scammed by someone with a problem bike that runs well enough to sell but reveals serious problems once bought. The dealers are not much better with all of their garbage add-on fees that you will never recover.

Keep the ideas coming. It's a great help to have the collective wisdom of so many riders to exploit while I am sifting through the myriad of choices.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:35 AM   #18
music man

Alan, I think you are on to something with the thought of getting a 600-800cc bike, maybe even a 1100, because like you said, you can use it for an everyday bike and a long trip bike. I think a 600 will still be a little smaller than you want for really long trips but anything from the 800-1200 range would be more than enough for any situation.

I have ridden a 600 shadow and even though it had WAY more power than my GZ, it was still a little small for ideal conditions on an extended trip but very fun to ride, and The 1200cc Goldwing I rode while plenty big in the engine department, and had a wealth of storage space, and a seat so comfortable that I could have sat on it at the house to watch T.V. on, it just wasn't my style of bike.

I also have ridden a Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan classic and while it was more my style than the Goldwing, and felt just as smooth and powerful on the highway, it felt like a tank in the handling department to me, it just didn't feel like a bike that I could enjoy blasting down a curvy back-road to nowhere on.

So I guess what I am saying is, is that if I had my choice monetarily speaking, I would probably still never buy a bike bigger than a 1200cc, and probably not a Goldwing style bike either, but if you are looking for extreme comfort on a long trip that is probably the best way to go, I just don't think it is for me.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:15 AM   #19
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by music man
I have ridden a 600 shadow and even though it had WAY more power than my GZ, it was still a little small for ideal conditions on an extended trip
OK, I have to ask: Just exactly what about the 600 causes you to say that?

My guess is that it is more personal preference than any really solid drawbacks......????
Old 01-08-2009, 09:30 AM   #20
mrlmd1

This is all very good advice and it's amazing how many and how varied the choices are when it comes to getting a bigger bike. What is probably a very strong consideration is what are you going to use it for? A big heavy touring bike is probably great for the open highway roads but if you need something more limber and nimble for riding in city traffic, it's not a good choice. And they're not good for the occasional off good-road riding. A good dual sport may fit the bill better with add-on luggage for both city and highway riding with the occasional long trip. It all depends on what you want to use it for like I said, and it has to be comfortable and economical both to operate and maintain and have lots of aftermarket accessories and good support. Then, it starts over, always looking for the next bike. Like with a boat, it's usually the third one you get that you love and keep. But it's still hard to beat the little GZ for most of us.
And renting different bikes to try out or take on a road trip is a good idea to get a feel for them first before plunking down those big bucks. And probably cheaper in the long run too.