Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 01-08-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
alanmcorcoran

2005 Yamaha V-star 1100 Custom Raven

Any comments, pro, con or otherwise on this one? Priced right? Has mustang seat, which I've heard you guys gush about. I think this is in the range of what I want to move up to...

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/960599337.html

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-08-2009, 06:10 PM   #2
mrlmd1

Re: 2005 Yamaha V-star 1100 Custom Raven

Don't forget to read the top item in this category, the Handy Guide to Buying a New Bike, if you go look at it. It might give you a clue as to it's real condition, and may be a bargaining tool if you do find something wrong. And like a book and it's cover, don't just judge the bike by it's seat. If you go see it on your bike rather than in the cage, he'll probably let you take it out for a spin, as he knows you can ride a motorcycle.
It is nice looking and has all the accessories you would want already on it. Good luck. Too bad it's not closer to here.:2tup:
Old 01-08-2009, 06:18 PM   #3
mr. softie

I am sure your toothbrush and those unmentionables you mentioned would fit in that luggage Alan, and the PO has upgraded the bike already. Test ride it first and if you really like it why not?

I really like the looks-hey I am an American male after all-but would have to actually ride one on an all day ride to know if the riding position was right for me comfort wise., and to judge the fun factor etc

Old 01-08-2009, 06:28 PM   #4
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Don't forget to read the top item in this category, the Handy Guide to Buying a New Bike,
Believe it or not, I did read the top item. Or at least the first three screens or so. I quickly came to the conclusion that, aside from the obvious stuff, (tires, paint, etc.) I'm probably too lazy to do a proper job evaluating a used bike. I've been corresponding with the guy, and he bought it and had it serviced by the local Suzuki dealer (original owner) so I'm hoping I can just check with them on its service history. Also, I could be wrong, but it seems like the kind of bike a guy rides with his wife or girlfriend and they kept it in good shape.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Any comments, pro, con or otherwise on this one? Priced right? Has mustang seat, which I've heard you guys gush about. I think this is in the range of what I want to move up to...
Not THAT one, apparently, because the listing is GONE already.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:23 PM   #6
alanmcorcoran

Sorry Easy, it was there this morning. I had it in my browser:

2005 V-Star 1100 Custom Raven. Clean title - orginal owner. Very clean bike, beautiful black with red pinstripes, 9,800 miles, always garaged, never dropped. Mustang seat and pillion, Starcom Advance 2 way communication with radios, helmets and headsets, Kuryakyn hypercharger air cleaner and jetted carbs, kuryakyn grips with palm rest, Kuryakyn highway pegs, Passanger foot rests, Yamaha windscreen, quick release lockable saddle bags, sissy bar with pad, new Metzler front & rear tires, all scheduled maintenance to date and performed by local shop. Super reliable, Ready to ride anywhere. Call Dave at 714-357-3336 to set appt. $5,200 OBO.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:33 PM   #7
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Kuryakyn hypercharger air cleaner and jetted carbs,
I think you are on the right track, size wise.

Now for my personal biases:
I would NOT be looking at twins.....except maybe for BMW.
I4 or V4's are just better, smoother engines, I think.
AND.....
I would NOT consider a bike that has been tinkered with by an amateur mechanic. It might be just fine but at the very least the gas mileage is probably down a bit from stock. I don't remember any mention of pipes; I wouldn't get anything with non-stock pipes either.

But that's just ME !! :roll:

AND what is all this crap about 3rd time is the charm ???? :skull:
With all the EXCELLENT advice you are getting here, your next bike will be PERFECT! :cool:
Old 01-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #8
alanmcorcoran

Thanks for heads up re re-jetted carbs. I'll find out if they were done at a shop or in his garage. Can't tell from the picture on the pipes, although this model is kind of specially designed to be effed with (aftermarket pipe wise.)

The Strat I rode was a V-Twin, and, with all my (one) previous riding experience, I can vouch for its smoothiness. Tried to determine from the Vstar site the diff between 1100 Classic and Custom and it appears to be style choices (tires), seat height (custom is lowest) and other non-performance related stuff. The Custom seems to have a lot less chrome.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:47 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

The 1100 is quite a popular bike around here with the cruiser set. Lots of on-road grunt for passing and climbing up the side of a mountain. Would I buy one ? NO ! Not my first choice for a cruiser. I would lean towards the Suzuki 50 series for fuel injection(no messing with rejetting), water cooling and ease of servicing. The Zuk has a spin on oil filter while the Yamaha is similar to the GZ but you have to drop the exhaust pipes to get at it. Yamaha does however sell a spin on filter relocation kit for the 1100. Not dissing Yamaha here, just pointing out a factory wart. I honestly think 90% of all Japanese bike are awesome and would like a large garage full of them. If that were the case I would probably have a H-D also but pass on the wardrobe. Alan, take your time shopping. Check out more bikes that appeal to you and then lurk on some forums. You will find out what owners are experiencing with their rides and some of the warts the factories build into them. Most warts can be fixed by the aftermarket crowd. If this particular 1100 is your choice then have at her and enjoy your ride.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:50 PM   #10
alanmcorcoran

I guess I better figure out what a spin-on oil filter is. I've seen other comments dissing the 1100 for not having fuel injection. Also, it seems that the "Classic" is more popular than the "Custom." What are the advantages, in practical terms, of fuel injection over Carburation? Also, 1100 is shaft drive, while some other bikes of similar size are chain or belt. Is shaft the best? Why?

Easy, bike has original pipes, but owner did re-jet himself. Claims it was not a huge deal, was provided step-by-step instructions from Kuryakyn (hey, we just had a pretty decent earthquake!).