Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 02-26-2010, 01:39 AM   #11
Water Warrior 2

Re: Ear plugs and full lids...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
I wear half-helmet with built in ear muffs.works very well.can hear traffic,do sholder checks easly
Ears muffs will keep your ears warm but probably won't do much for hearing protection. I always wear earplugs with a fullface helmet. Shoulder checks are still easy if done right. Many people say they do not suffer hearing damage from loud or continuous noise but it comes back to bite them years later.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-26-2010, 03:15 AM   #12
Maggie

I always wear a full face now (reluctantly getting used to it after the "freedom" of a 3/4) and always wear ear plugs (pink ones for girls, by the way) on the freeway. I don't really think about the plugs for the GZ because I never seem to be going too fast for such a stretch that the noise becomes noticeable. I may have to rethink that, though. APPATT? All pink plugs all the time. :whistle:
Old 02-26-2010, 09:39 AM   #13
burkbuilds

I wear a full face helmet in cool and cold weather and I never wear ear plugs and don't notice much noise, but maybe that is because I've already lost a lot of my hearing.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:14 PM   #14
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkbuilds
I wear a full face helmet in cool and cold weather and I never wear ear plugs and don't notice much noise, but maybe that is because I've already lost a lot of my hearing.
Hmm, not good, hearing protection will help save what's left.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:56 PM   #15
alanmcorcoran

One thing I want to warn you about... Losing your hearing is not good, but what is even worse is developing tinnitus, which I prefer to think of as losing your silence. I am not sure of the relationship between riding the Strat and the low level, near constant ringing in my ears, but I have already permanently lost some of my "silence." So far, I only notice it when it's supposed to be silent but, once you have it, it can be very maddening. Since it is essentially "hearing" things that are not there, I suspect it does not go away, even if your hearing does.

That being said, I have not got into the habit of ear plugs for shorter (and sometimes, longer) rides. I don't think the GZ is that loud. The Strat definitely is, especially on freeways.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:11 PM   #16
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

It's mainly the wind noise that is the problem with smaller (quieter) bikes. A helmet actually amplifies it sometimes too. I like to wear them when I ride the Shadow because it's damned loud, both on the highway and off, but I haven't bothered much with the Ninja or the SV lately. I changed the exhaust of the Ninja back to stock, so it's very nearly silent running.

The SV has a Yosh aftermarket, but it's baffled well and pretty quiet unless you really open it up.

I also don't worry about wearing them on the GZ, mainly because I'm trolling around country roads at < 45.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:54 PM   #17
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
One thing I want to warn you about... Losing your hearing is not good, but what is even worse is developing tinnitus, which I prefer to think of as losing your silence. I am not sure of the relationship between riding the Strat and the low level, near constant ringing in my ears, but I have already permanently lost some of my "silence." So far, I only notice it when it's supposed to be silent but, once you have it, it can be very maddening. Since it is essentially "hearing" things that are not there, I suspect it does not go away, even if your hearing does.

That being said, I have not got into the habit of ear plugs for shorter (and sometimes, longer) rides. I don't think the GZ is that loud. The Strat definitely is, especially on freeways.
Started loosing my silence about 30 years ago. Tinnitus will drive you half nuts on ocassions. I never have a totally soundless moment, there is always the ringing in my head. Loud jobs, loud music, loud cars will do that to you. Air compressors, electric kitchen equipment all have an accummulating effect that not everyone is aware of in day to day living. Oh here's one, sound effects from games and such. Some are very harsh on the hearing.
So please be careful and protect your hearing. I can think of a lot of things I would have done differently when younger but of course you can't turn back time.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:05 PM   #18
dhgeyer

A lot of it depends on speed, of course, as has been pointed out. It also depends on your windshield configuration. A tall shield with lowers, or any kind of full fairing with a tall windshield will cut the noise down to a safe level with or without the plugs, even at highway speeds. You have to use a little judgment about your setup. If it's pretty quiet, you'll be alright.

I've used full face, half, and three quarter helmets, and I don't think it makes much difference with respect to noise. If your head is in a lot of wind in excess of about 50mph or so, you need plugs if you want to protect your hearing.

A full face helmet with good quality disposable plugs will not cut your ability to hear traffic or other ambient noise any more than sitting in a car with the windows closed.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:09 AM   #19
blaine

Ear muffs keep wind out witch bothers me a lot.with plugs can`t hear traffic.Just my prefence.