Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 09-12-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
alanmcorcoran

Toy Hauler Loading, Towing and other $hit that can go wrong.

Some of you have probably seen from other threads that I'm scheduled to venture out (for the first time) with a smallish rental toy hauler and my ten year old 1/2 ton Suburban when i return to California (Thursday.) Several of you have already cautioned me about the joys of backing it up and aggravations with hitching and unhitching. I've done a little googling on the Internet and I've learned a few things:

1) People with 1/2 tons think they are big enough to tow.
2) People with 3/4 or 1 tons, think people with 1/2 tons (that're towing) are idiots.
3) All things considered, it's not a good idea to go over 55 (for a number of reasons, the least of which is, it's illegal.)
4) Side loaders seem to suck. Pretty sure mine loads from the rear.
5) Some people are able to load Harley sized bikes in Toy Haulers routinely. Others say it's impossible.
6) Some Toy Haulers are made to shit specs and the tie down rings etc. are known to pull right out of their cheap-ass composite wood floors. (This seems criminally stupid to me, but not surprising given my past experience with RV accessory "quality." [cough.])

Have some questions/chum for the board...

1) should I go with the Geezer for the first time out? Anybody done two up on a geezer? How long could their passenger's ass take it? Or suck it up and do the Strat?
2) Ride it into the Toy hauler? Walk it? winch it?
3) back it out under power or merely in gear? Or just with the brake?
4) Tie down recommendations?

And any other stuff you want to mention...

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
alantf

Re: Toy Hauler Loading, Towing and other $hit that can go wr

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Anybody done two up on a geezer?
Regularly! My missus & I do it all the time for town riding, but don't even think about autopista (freeway?) riding with two up. Been there, done that - ONCE - Never ever, in no way shape or form ever intend to try it ever again. I reckon we could've run faster! :sad:
Old 09-12-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
alanmcorcoran

FYI, I think this is the unit I'm going to rent. From the photos it doesn't look like the ramp is much of a challenge. But then again these things always look easier when you are looking at a picture.

http://www.rvusa.com/rvs/california/el- ... ler-207942

Old 09-12-2010, 07:27 PM   #4
blaine

The ramp looks like you can ride in,no problem.I think I would back it out running.That ramp looks low enough not to cause any problems riding in, or backing out with the Strat.
:cool:

Old 09-12-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
Moedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
The ramp looks like you can ride in,no problem.I think I would back it out running.That ramp looks low enough not to cause any problems riding in, or backing out with the Strat.
:cool:
I agree.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Oh my, love the full width ramp. The ramp does look low enough to ride up as mentioned. As for unloading I would be tempted to just back it out with engine shut off and in gear, The clutch and front brake can provide 2 wheel braking while both feet are on the floor/ramp/ground. Didn't see any tie downs in the pics. Hope they are just hidden and waiting to do the deed.
Alan your half ton Sub should work well enough for your purposes at 55 or 60. One of the biggest problems with towing is too light of a tow vehicle and the Sub is not a light weight by any means especially with a proper hitch and brake control.
Just go and enjoy the time with your wife and take pics to share. You have everything covered by the looks of it.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:21 PM   #7
mrlmd1

Are you even sure you can get the Strat in there with that table in the way? Is it removable?
I've moved my S50 off my trailer with no problem just sitting on it, straddling it and balancing it and walking it backwards, slowing it down with the front brake. You don't need the bike in gear and have to use the clutch. There's also no reason to have it running when you back it down the ramp, just one less thing to worry about. Just back down straight and don't turn the bars 'till you get on flat ground as bikes fall over just as easily going backwards as going forward if steered to the side and using the front brake. The same thing could also happen if you used the rear brake or the clutch with bike in gear, just steer straight down the ramp.
That ramp is a pussy ramp - less than half as steep as the one on a trailer, the slope is much less, the ramp longer, and should be NO problem at all.
And I missed something along the way, like what is the point of all of this? Why do you need the toy hauler? Are you trying to get your bike home from somewhere or taking all of this on a vacation somewhere? If you're doing the latter, then just take the GZ and take your time and save 500lbs of grief and leave the big bike home.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:30 PM   #8
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
The ramp looks like you can ride in,no problem.
The problem might come in, however with deciding whether to let the bike intrude into the "kitchen" OR to wrassle it around so that it sits sideways. Sitting sideways in it's assigned slot would seem to be the obvious answer.......when there is a wife involved......but it seems to me that getting the Strat oriented that way might be a LOT more difficult (and dangerous) than it might appear. With that in mind, I would suggest the GZ for the first "test load". How good or bad that goes might determine which one you actually take.

Is there no door or partition seperating the "Toy section" from the living quarters ?? Gasoline vapors ??

If there is NOT a seperating "wall" then carrying the bike with the front wheel where the folding table goes wouldn't be much of a problem, I guess, as unloading the bike would seem to be a necessary first step RIGHT after stopping.

BUT then......that means leaving the bike outside overnight in un-familiar territory.

I will be VERY interested is hearing how this turns out ...............'cause the thought has crossed my mind of getting a self-contained version for a summer of Nascar/Outlaws chasin'. That thought hasn't been conveyed to the spouse yet though. :whistle:
Old 09-12-2010, 08:35 PM   #9
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
You don't need the bike in gear and have to use the clutch. There's also no reason to have it running when you back it down the ramp, just one less thing to worry about.

I second those recommendations, espcially the one about the clutch. Since feathering the clutch while backing down a hill without the engine running is NOT something one usually practices.......I suspect that it would be too grabby to be safe.

For some wierd reason, I feel more comfortable backing with the engine running......always, everywhere.
I have NO IDEA why that is. It really makes no sense since I'm usually not in gear. :??:
Old 09-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #10
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
I've moved my S50 off my trailer with no problem just sitting on it, straddling it and balancing it and walking it backwards, slowing it down with the front brake. You don't need the bike in gear and have to use the clutch. There's also no reason to have it running when you back it down the ramp, just one less thing to worry about. Just back down straight and don't turn the bars 'till you get on flat ground as bikes fall over just as easily going backwards as going forward if steered to the side and using the front brake. The same thing could also happen if you used the rear brake or the clutch with bike in gear, just steer straight down the ramp.
:plus1: