Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 10-07-2010, 02:01 AM   #21
dhgeyer

Re: About to buy a KLR650...

I'm no expert on dirt riding, but have done some - just not on dirt bikes. When I was young I took my bikes into the woods and fields all the time, even though they weren't made for it. I think you're doing pretty much what you have to do - just get out there and find out what works for you. Don't worry about overheating the engine on the downhills: it's liquid cooled. One difference between on road and off road is the use of brakes: off road you use more rear brake, and of course somewhat more gradual application. Another difference is that if you go into a skid, it's not the end of the world. Experienced riders slide the back end around all the time. As you said, it has much in common with downhill skiing. There's a learning curve. Take it at a pace that's comfortable for you. If you're not going for speed - just want to get there and back, just keep doing what you're doing: keep the speed reasonable for conditions and keep it under control.

The Speed Channel on TV shows motocross and dirt racing sometimes. You'll learn a lot from watching what those guys do.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-07-2010, 07:11 AM   #22
bonehead

I agree with Dave. NO front brake at speed.!!! It is the quickest way to cause yourself to go down.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:03 PM   #23
dentheman

It certainly is a nice looking bike, and some of the roads around here look like those in the photos. In fact, a LOT of the roads around here look like those. Sometimes my right hip gets a little painful, but I had no problem swinging my leg over a GZ, I don't know about this one. Would it be suitable for a trip of a couple hours down the hiway, or even as much 300 miles one way?

I MIGHT add this to my short list, which is getting longer every day. I am being convinced that more cc would not be a problem.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:56 PM   #24
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead
I agree with Dave. NO front brake at speed.!!! It is the quickest way to cause yourself to go down.
From me experience the front brake is still more than useable but you must get used to it's application in difference instances. Practice and more practice. Use everything the bike has to offer.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:01 PM   #25
dhgeyer

Let's compromise. I wouldn't eliminate the front brake entirely in off road use, but you do use a lot more rear. On pavement all sources agree (within 10%) that about 80% of your stopping power is in the front brake. That's why the front brake has more power on all modern road bikes. Off road the situation changes. If you slide the rear end on dirt or mud there is much less chance of a high side than on pavement. Experienced riders routinely slide the rear end around as part of steering the bike. If you skid the front end off road, as Bonehead says, you're likely to go down. So you use a lot more back brake - in some cases only the back brake. But, just going down the trail, if you need to stop in a hurry, use both brakes - just be careful with the front and use progressive braking so you don't slide the front out.

This topic has come up many times in forums dedicated to bikes that had some of the early linked brake systems. There was no way to use the back brake only, and it was causing some get offs in the dirt. The newer systems have addressed this. On my R1200R, squeezing the front brake lever activates both brakes - the computer and anti lock brake system decide how much rear brake to apply for optimum stopping power. But pressing the rear brake pedal activates the rear brake only. There are times when that is the best thing to do.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:25 PM   #26
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
It certainly is a nice looking bike, and some of the roads around here look like those in the photos. In fact, a LOT of the roads around here look like those. Sometimes my right hip gets a little painful, but I had no problem swinging my leg over a GZ, I don't know about this one. Would it be suitable for a trip of a couple hours down the hiway, or even as much 300 miles one way?
IMHO I would say yes, but a 300 mile day is not something I'd encourage anyone to do regularly on any bike. That's a lot of time in the saddle and, to me anyway, just a tad past the point of fun. If you start early, and take a break every 60 miles or so, it can be done without killing yourself, but it's one I do at the start or the end. 120-170 is plenty in between.

Re climbing on, you don't really swing your leg over - I "push" my knee over and then swing my leg down after my ankle clears the seat. As dh said, I'm gettin' used to it.

Also, I saw a 500cc ninja parked at the dealer today when I picked up my Strat.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:54 PM   #27
Moedad

I was out of town all last week so I'm just catching up here. NICE bike! That's going to be a lot of fun for you!
Old 10-11-2010, 05:59 PM   #28
alanmcorcoran

Moedad,

I need a dual sport riding buddy. Are you still thinking about one? I did Cleveland from Silverado Canyon to BlueJay on Saturday.

-Alan.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:13 PM   #29
dannylightning

verry cool, i should have got something that i can take off road, i am getting sick of driving on the street with all the bad drivers on cell phones...
Old 10-11-2010, 07:18 PM   #30
Moedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Moedad,

I need a dual sport riding buddy. Are you still thinking about one? I did Cleveland from Silverado Canyon to BlueJay on Saturday.
I'm sort of watching Craigslist for good deal on a VStrom 650. Does that qualify as thinking?

I've seen some good deals come and go--not sure what I'm waiting for.