Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 10-11-2010, 01:33 AM   #11
alanmcorcoran

Re: Road trip San Diego CA to Albuquerque NM

Your bike is decent sized. And, yes, the second bike is capable of carrying a lot. BTW - just click "add image to post" to post a picture in-line. You have to do Post reply, not Quick Reply. You can go back and edit your old post and fix the picture though. When you edit, the "add image" to post shows up.

keep an eye out - many peole get seats and bags etc and then don't want them. I got a decent deal on seat luggage rack on here for my GZ just a few weeks ago.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-11-2010, 06:35 AM   #12
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Starbucks has excellent bathrooms
Wow! America must be the only country in the world where you can get a bath in a coffee shop. Do they have showers, or just bathtubs? :2tup:
Old 10-11-2010, 07:19 AM   #13
3-D Video

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a tent unless you're planning on staying in campgrounds and want the privacy. Even then, a poncho will give you all the privacy you'll need for changing clothes. I'd be most concerned about staying warm at night. The dry air in those parts will not hold the heat after the sun sets… And this, from personal experience, always shake out your boots in the morning. Their warmth and comparative dampness make the a real draw for scorpions.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #14
3-D Video

I'm a bit of a minimalist. With that in mind, here's what I'd be taking:
Cell phone. Turn it off when you aren't checking messages.
The usual spare bulbs and fuses.
Whatever toiletries you need to keep happy.
Some dried fruits and nuts to munch between stops.
One of the mechanical things you'll need to be prepared to fix along the way is a blown tire. For that I'd recommend carrying a patch kit, a mechanical foot or engine-air pump (since you have two cylinders), two or three tire levers, a valve core wrench (and an extra valve core or two), and something to pull the nail/glass/splinter out of your tire with.
Having owned a few VWs, I'm not comfortable driving in hot thin air without an oil temp gauge (mine's a MOTO-DETAIL, about $35). Though, if AZKev says it's not necessary, then it probably isn't.
Separate shirt, slacks, and shoes for those all-important meetings… Be aware that the Arizona campus is a pretty conservative place.
Some ethanol and a bandana will take care of most first aid problems which might arise, and make for a pretty effective body parts cleaner when you can't find a shower.
A down coat, warm hat/balaclava, long johns, and some Grabber® body and toe warmers will make a sleeping bag unnecessary. A poncho pretty much eliminates any need for a tent. I doubt you'll need to insulate your self from the ground, so I'd pass on carrying some bulky pad.
A couple of cans of self-heating coffee or soup can be a real pleasure in the wee morning hours.
Last, but certainly not least, water! I once got stranded for 3 days outside of Gila Bend, so let me reiterate… Water!
Old 10-11-2010, 05:28 PM   #15
Moedad

At the end of May, heat will likely be your biggest threat on the CA/AZ portion of that route. Sounds like you're doing most of your traveling during the first half of the day, so that's good. The trip from Albuquerque to Phoenix will probably be the worst day. Cool, maybe cold start, and ending up in temps over 100. Just be ready to take cool down breaks and you'll do okay.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #16
Water Warrior 2

Alazar 14. Are you saying to move the rear signals 3 inches will cost $400 ??? Ah, that would be a dealer doing the work ? If so here is an idea. Find a cheap used sissy bar and put it on. The rear signals can be mounted to the sissy bar using cheap metal brackets/plates from Home Depot. You move the signals as far back as you want and the sissy bar is a great tool for hauling your load and tying it down. If I understand you correctly this should cost much less and you can do all the work yourself with a few hand tools. Let your imagination go into overdrive for while and see what develops.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #17
alazar14

I'm just worried about how I am going to extend the wires that run under the bike that give signal and juice to the blinker lights...

I'm not very handy with electric wiring and such.

Not to mention I don't want to end up with 2 non working blinkers.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #18
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alazar14
I'm just worried about how I am going to extend the wires that run under the bike that give signal and juice to the blinker lights...

I'm not very handy with electric wiring and such.

Not to mention I don't want to end up with 2 non working blinkers.
Take a good look at the wires leading to the signals. It is really quite a simple procedure and you have to start somewhere in your bike moding career. There are only two wires to each signal so it is pretty hard to go wrong. Find a buddy who can give you some hands on pointers and you are done.
Your next project will be a Stebel air horn and relay, heated grips and relay, power point and relay, Hyperlights brake lights, accessory fuse panel for added stuff and a box full of left over odds and ends. It is really a lot of fun and a wonderful time consuming activity. Almost as good as riding. :lol:
Old 10-11-2010, 07:20 PM   #19
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-D Video
I'm a bit of a minimalist... I doubt you'll need to insulate your self from the ground, so I'd pass on carrying some bulky pad.
I could see myself transforming into a "minimalist" over time (although I doubt I will ever be able to fix a flat.) I do want to point out the packed dimensions of my sleeping pad are about equivalent to a 7-eleven big gulp (4.8 x 11 inches). It's probably the last piece of gear I'd give up.

Re tent v. poncho, I think a poncho might keep you dry, but would be less effective keeping your stuff dry (if you have any.) My bigger concern would be how to keep the fire ants, mosquitoes, bees, flies, wasps, ticks, spiders, and other bugs commonly encountered in the desert (scorpions, tarantulas) from eating me alive. I'm not a naturalist, but it seems the bugs have a communication network when it comes to water sources/carbon dioxide emitters - once they spot you, it's an all bug alert!

I do find a certain appeal to 3-D's "homeless guy" approach - that's essentially who you are after a few days afield - and who would know best how to manage in that situation than the people who do it indefinitely.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #20
3-D Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
I do find a certain appeal to 3-D's "homeless guy" approach

'Course, my recommendations were for what I might need on a short trip with a minimum amount of storage space. Anything additional would be gravy… camera, tunes, drum kit, stool?… each persons' milage will vary :2tup:

There are those who take pleasure in the challenge of carrying the very least and lightest amount they can while camping. I am certainly not one of them. I am more of a "the more you carry in your head, the less you carry on your back" kind of guy.

(The Doctor gets peed out the first day)
At 2 lbs 2 oz this kit has all I seem to need for a comfortable and safe stay throughout most of California, Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia (places I know what to expect) in all but the snowy winter months. Twice, once in Big Sur and once again in Desolation Valley, this and a change of clothes was all I carried with me for a months' stay.