Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 09-16-2011, 08:10 AM   #51
Gz Rider

Re: Got nailed by a jeep today

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-16-2011, 08:20 AM   #52
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

You can see how that same mindset plays out in individual psychologica development. We Americans tend to think of ourselves as more deserving and more important, while the general tone of the Euros is to accept whatever is better for everyone as a whole. (Generalizations always have faults, but I would say that they exist for a reason...)

Here's an example from the exiting contestants on a very popular game show. One is American and the other is British:

Yank: "It was a conspiracy! They voted me off because they knew I was a threat to them. I hope Kathy loses in the next round and that Ted...he's just lucky I didn't get to face him in one-on-one. I would have smoked him!"

Brit: "Well, I certainly gave it my best. But there were a few questions in that last round that I missed and I know I squandered a few opportunities to bank some money for the team. I wish Cathy and the others the best as they go forward and I would certainly appreciate another opportunity to try again."
Old 09-16-2011, 10:49 AM   #53
Gz Rider

Old 09-16-2011, 11:36 AM   #54
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Hahaha. That's awesome!

I would have liked to have been a fly on that wall.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:23 PM   #55
Water Warrior 2

A lot of folks don't like Americans in general because they are citizens of the most powerful country in the free world. Yeah well it took some pretty strong people to make it that way and keep it that way. Individually the Americans that I have met are among the finest and have confidence in their country and themselves. The U.S. has a great presence in my daily life with only a line dividing us. That is one line I can cross without penalty.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:06 PM   #56
Gz Rider

Old 09-16-2011, 05:14 PM   #57
Gz Rider

Old 09-16-2011, 10:40 PM   #58
Water Warrior 2

One thing I do remember is from the JFK era. His actions had more positive benefits to Canadians than our own Government could muster. If he had lived and served 2 terms as allowed the North American continent would be invinceable and economically a superpower with a very good standard of living over and above what we have now. I accept the fact that the U.S. (Business and Goernment)controls our Canadian economy as much as it does. Somebody has to as the homegrown clowns we have in office are truly clueless and without conscience in their business dealings and trade agreements. I'm still trying to find out why a Canadian built car costs more here than South of the border. :??:
Old 09-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #59
5th_bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
I'm still trying to find out why a Canadian built car costs more here than South of the border. :??:
The same reason why an Italian bike cost more in Italy than in the USA: government taxes.
Within a year or two though the financial advantage for the Americans is gone, because their insurance premiums are much higher.

Gentlemen I enjoyed your reflections on differences between various countries on this page however is there any way we can help out poor Viirin? The way he has been treated does not help the common good, only his insurance company.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:00 AM   #60
alantf

It seems to me that everyone would benefit by using the Spanish system. After an accident, one of the drivers produces a copy of the accident form. One driver fills in the yellow section, one fills in the blue, common information goes down the centre (white) a drawing of the accident, and a description of what happened. Both drivers then sign it, so that it becomes the story of the accident, unable to be changed if one of the drivers subsequently changes his mind. Each gets a copy (carbon copy underneath) & can then make a photocopy for his own files, & send one to his insurance company, who then can't back out of responsibility. If both parties can't agree, then the police are sent for, & will make an immediate decision on blame.

[attachment=0:23h6mw6g]img012.jpg[/attachment:23h6mw6g]