Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 06-17-2010, 01:55 AM   #1
ncff07

Lane Splitting

Saw this somewhere else and thought Id post it here since its been discussed before. This is in Cali where lane splitting is legal. It aint worth the risk.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-17-2010, 02:30 AM   #2
3-D Video

Re: Lane Splitting

Lane splitting is so much a part of riding here in Europe that some jack-ass on the Périphérique got pissed and scraped the side of our car with his keys, must have thought we were too close to the dividing line for his comfort. And they don't just move through traffic, they go full bore through jams and back-ups. Totally nut!
Old 06-17-2010, 05:07 AM   #3
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

He was going too fast. The max legal limit for lane splitting is +5 mph from the flow of traffic, up to the speed limit.

I'm of the opinion that if you are careful, observant and not just a little bit lucky, lane splitting can be safely done in the right circumstances. Only if the traffic is aware that splitting is happening and people are generally okay with it. Also if everyone is in a decent mood and doesn't let other traffic or motorcyclists driving upset them. And if all the other drivers are happy and are being courteous with their time and attitude.

Needless to say, those variables must all match up just right for it to be performed safely. Otherwise....it probably shouldn't be done.

...except at corners and stoplights.

...and drive thrus.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:16 AM   #4
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
The max legal limit for lane splitting is +5 mph from the flow of traffic, up to the speed limit.
I don't think there's any legal limit in Europe. If I'm wrong, I hope one of our other European members will put me right. :2tup:
Old 06-17-2010, 09:35 AM   #5
dhgeyer

When I was taking a day off riding in Fairfield, CA, there was a CHP station right around the corner from my motel. I was out for a walk and noticed it. I stopped and asked about lane splitting. What I was told was that:

1) It must be between lanes of cars (no shoulder riding either side)

2) It can't be done in a "reckless" manner - judgment call by cop.

No mention of specific speed differential. I'm just reporting what a cop told me. They often don't know the specifics of the law themselves. The cop also told me that, generally, the only time they have trouble with it is when riders on sport bikes go way too fast through traffic, really asking for trouble. Again, I'm only reporting what this fellow said - I have no bias against sportbikes.

I did it once while I was out there - at a long set of lines waiting at toll booths. Traffic was essentially stopped, and I went through very slowly. That was wonderful! Wish we could do it here.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
The max legal limit for lane splitting is +5 mph from the flow of traffic, up to the speed limit.
What ?? Where ??
Certainly NOT in California, where the practice is "legal" only because it has not specifically been prohibited and has not been made illegal.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:28 AM   #7
New GZ250

I live in California, and statistics show there are no more accidents lane splitting, I find that hard to believe but that is what the state says. I have never split lanes and don't plan to. In fact I don't even split lanes at a stop light where traffic is stopped, I consider myself a very conservative biker. Even when I was young a foolish I didn't.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:56 PM   #8
Moedad

In the summers here, it's the cagers splitting lanes between the motorcycles.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:58 PM   #9
Moedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncff07
Saw this somewhere else and thought Id post it here since its been discussed before. This is in Cali where lane splitting is legal. It aint worth the risk.

Guy was going too fast, and wasn't paying attention. He earned that get-off.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:28 AM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedad
In the summers here, it's the cagers splitting lanes between the motorcycles.
Should open season on those clowns. They have no idea how dangerous it is to squeeze a bike over to a different path of travel.