Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 10-15-2008, 10:17 AM   #11
Quimrider

Send a message via AIM to Quimrider
Re: Head gasket replacement?

Ok so maybe I exaggerated a bit I do about 2/3 highway 1/3 city. 95% of my riding is 45mph + However, unless the wind is at my back 65-70mph is usually WOT with the taller 16t sprocket. Which of course isn't quite as hard on the engine as WOT at 75mph+ with the stock 15t sprocket.

I'm quite perplexed about the leaky valve cover. Maybe the 7ft-lb torque spec in the service manual is wrong? That doesn't seem very tight for a part of the engine that receives quite a bit of vibration. I hope it's not the case but I suppose it's possible my cylinder head is warped. Awe screw it!!! I'll just throw on that big bore kit and be done with it! :lol:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-15-2008, 10:28 AM   #12
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimrider
I'm quite perplexed about the leaky valve cover. Maybe the 7ft-lb torque spec in the service manual is wrong?
No, I don't think so.
Are you sure there isn't supposed to be a "real" gasket there? (I could go look at my service manual but no time right now).

For something like that, like the lug nuts on a car with disc brakes, the sequence of tightening is as important as the torque. First all barely finger tight, then all at about 1/4 tight using a "star" pattern, then 3/4, then full.

Also when using sealer only, both surfaces must be squeeky clean (brake cleaner is good) and sufficient cure time must be allowed.......I'm guessing 24 hours.

If all else fails, I think I'd be getting a new cover......on the off chance that yours warps in a funny way when it gets hot.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:55 PM   #13
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

You guys are making me want to tear apart my engine.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:21 PM   #14
Quimrider

see details in this thread if you want to read about the oil leak There isn't a "real" gasket. I was surprised about this and it explained why I couldn't find the part number for a gasket that doesn't exist. The service manual says to use some special Zuki gasket goo. I cleaned it up with gasket remover and then cleaned off the gasket remover with brake cleaner for shiny clean surfaces. The aviation gasket maker I tried only lasted about 3 weeks. The RTV silicone only about 2 weeks. I checked for a warped cover. I hope I'm doing something wrong and don't have a warped cylinder head! At least it's a slow annoying leak and nothing imminently dangerous.

I only finger tightened the screws after applying the RTV silicone and let it cure for 24 hrs before following tightening instructions in the service manual.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:55 PM   #15
mr. softie

Funny, but my '99 GZ has paper gaskets under the valve covers. They stay stuck to the engine.

Good luck wrenching on your bike!

Old 10-15-2008, 11:24 PM   #16
Quimrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. softie
Funny, but my '99 GZ has paper gaskets under the valve covers. They stay stuck to the engine.

Good luck wrenching on your bike!
We're not talking about the access covers to adjust the valves. We're talking about the "valve cover", the top half of the cylinder head. The part that the rocker arms are attached to.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:43 AM   #17
mr. softie

:oops:
Old 10-16-2008, 09:50 AM   #18
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimrider
We're talking about the "valve cover", the top half of the cylinder head. The part that the rocker arms are attached to.
OK, here's part of the problem: The valve cover is NOT the "top half of the cylinder head".

The valve cover attaches to the cylinder head. The cylinder head does not have 2 parts. :biggrin:
Old 10-16-2008, 09:44 PM   #19
Quimrider

:rawk: WOOO HOOO problem solved! There is a nut just below and in between the exhaust pipes. I didn't notice this before, it was loose. I snugged it up and all is good. No more pooting! :lol:
Old 10-23-2008, 07:09 PM   #20
theneanderthal

Send a message via AIM to theneanderthal Send a message via MSN to theneanderthal Send a message via Yahoo to theneanderthal

Cool!

Fart fixed by tightening the exhaust is way better the a head gasket. I haven't looked
specifically at the GZ but most bikes have have a bronze or similar gasket in this area.

Might be time to replace it.