Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 02-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #11
blaine

Re: Clutch Adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
If adjuster is most of the way out,it is time for replacement,as cable is stretched and can snap without warning.
Mmmmmm, can't say as how I agree 100% with that. My Geezer has nearly twice as many miles (kilometers) as his & the clutch feels fine. Every new cable will stretch with wear, & I had to take up the slack in my clutch cable within a few months of buying the bike. If the previous owner never bothered doing this, then this might be how his problem occurred. I still maintain that if a visual check shows no problems, & the cable is well lubricated, taking up the slack at the engine end should be the first step.
I agree with you 100%.But if cable is old and you need to keep adjusting,it's going to leave you on the road.I stated this,as some people might keep adjusting the cable,not realizing that the cable is ready to fail.
:cool:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-07-2011, 01:53 AM   #12
cayuse

Mine might be stretched, I'll have another look tomorrow. OTOH, they're only $14 or so from Bikebandit so I'll pick one up with my next order. I'll just feel better on that Duffey Lake Loop ride this summer. Better safe than sorry!

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA
Old 02-07-2011, 02:00 AM   #13
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayuse
Mine might be stretched, I'll have another look tomorrow. OTOH, they're only $14 or so from Bikebandit so I'll pick one up with my next order. I'll just feel better on that Duffey Lake Loop ride this summer. Better safe than sorry!
Sounds like a plan. With all the dealers dropping out of site you would be more than hard pressed to find a new cable on the road.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:54 AM   #14
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayuse
Yes, fit a new cable, then you know for certain that it's not going to snap in the near future. Just don't forget that the new one will stretch with use, & will probably need adjusting at the engine end within a few months. :2tup:

BTW, just want to edit & correct my earlier posting of how to adjust the clutch cable at the engine end (must've been thinking of another bike :blush: ) On the gz it's the outer that's adjusted. Near the clutch operating lever (on the engine), the threaded part of the outer is held in a bracket by two nuts. Slacken the nuts, move the outer, then tighten the nuts in their new position.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:12 PM   #15
Blitzburgh7sb

My cable is not frayed or damaged in any way at the pivot point. I did adjust at the engine as alantf suggested. Thank you. I was then able to re-adjust at the pivot point so that the screw is not very far out. Dont know if this is the original cable or not. There is no more slack and shifts well with no initial jerk as it had before. Still seems to engage a little too far out but i no longer feel like I am riding the clutch. I do plan to buy a new one soon....better to plan ahead on a 15 dollar part then stuck on the side of the road losing my serenity. O_o