Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 08-20-2011, 01:14 AM   #1
tcrave

My Suzuki gz250 just died, need help!!

I was riding my gz250 to work a few days ago and about half way, the bike just dies. I figured I was out of gas because i knew I was running low, so I turned it to reserve and tried again...no luck, wouldn't start. I pulled it off to the side of the road, switched it to PRI for a few seconds, then back to reserve. It kept on cranking over like it wanted to start, but wouldn't. Then, it started leaking fluid. It looked and smelled like oil to me, but then I realized that the oil window was showing full.

So, I rolled it into a parking lot and went to get it after work. When I showed up, I had my gf meet me with a tank of gas. I poured the gas in the tank and tried to start it....nothing happened. The lights would come on, but all I could hear is a clicking sound. Then, gas started to leak like crazy! My buddy showed up with a trailer to take it back to my house, and then we finally figured out that it was leaking from a tube that comes from the carb and only happened when you rolled on the throttle. It spilled a lot of gas, but finally stopped. My buddy and his dad tapped on the carb lightly a few times because they said the floater might be stuck...still no luck.

We got the bike back to the house and I just let it sit on my trickle charger all night. Came back to it the next morning and still could only get a clicking noise....then all the sudden I see a wisp of smoke coming from the engine/carb (not really sure where, looked like from the carb). I let it set for a few minutes, then noticed if I repeatedly pushed the starter button that it eventually would start to crank over.

So, now it will crank over, but still won't start. I checked the oil level and now it is showing empty...yet i don't see any oil spots on the ground.

Anyone have any suggestions??? I am lost...

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-20-2011, 04:57 AM   #2
blaine

Re: My Suzuki gz250 just died, need help!!

STOP!!! IT sounds like your crankcase may be filled with gas.You need to drain your oil & check & go from there.If you continue to try and start the bike without determining if there is fuel in the crankcase,you will damage the engine.If no fuel in the engine,than you will need to check the air filter,and drain the air box.
:cool:

Old 08-20-2011, 11:33 PM   #3
tcrave

Thanks! I checked and there is fuel in the crankcase. I drained some of it out and it smells of fuel bad. I also checked the airbox and there was a bunch of oil in it as well.

I think I am going to make a more detailed topic to see if anyone has an solutions, or if you do

Old 08-20-2011, 11:38 PM   #4
tcrave

Crankcase filled with fuel...help!!

So my bike quit running on the road and wouldn't start back up. It wouldn't turn over at all, but I finally got it to. Now, it won't start at all. I tried again today and finally got it to start for 2 seconds and then it quit. Under the advice of blaine, I quit trying to start it and started taking things apart.

To my dismay, when I started draining the oil out, there was fuel in the crankcase. I started taking the gas tank off to make things a little easier and noticed that when the petcock was "on" the fuel just kept running out of the hose when I took it off....and since the fuel is only supposed to come out when the bike is running, this tells me that something in the petcock may be messed up.

I also looked in my airbox and noticed that it has a good inch or so of oil in it, so I drained that out.

Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this??? Is the bike ruined??

Also, before all this happened, fuel was leaking like crazy out of the fuel overflow tube coming from the carb whenever you rolled on the throttle. My buddy took a little flashlight and tapped on the carb where the float should be and it quit leaking fuel there....but I still have the problem of fuel being in the crankcase.

Thanks!!!
Old 08-20-2011, 11:38 PM   #5
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrave
Thanks! I checked and there is fuel in the crankcase. I drained some of it out and it smells of fuel bad. I also checked the airbox and there was a bunch of oil in it as well.

I think I am going to make a more detailed topic to see if anyone has an solutions, or if you do
You need to change your oil & filter.Clean out your air box,and replace the filter if it got soaked.You will need to take your carb off,and give it a good cleaning.I would also install a inline filter.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:41 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Sounds like you need to fix a stuck float in the carb and change oil as soon as possible. Gas in the oil is not a good thing.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:44 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Re: Crankcase filled with fuel...help!!

No need for 2 threads on the same subject. Stick to the first thread and we can help..........honest.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:51 PM   #8
blaine

You need to change your oil & filter.Clean out your air box,and replace the filter if it got soaked.It sounds like the diaphragm ruptured in the petcock,.You can buy a rebuild kit,or replace the entire petcock.You will need to take your carb off,and give it a good cleaning. I would also install a inline filter.I don't think you done any damage to the engine.The crank case filled with gas,because the float in the carb is not strong enough to hold back the flow of fuel once the petcock failed.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:41 AM   #9
tcrave

Sorry!!! New person error! My apologies! I'll see if I can report it and see if the mod can merge the topics or delete one or something.

I don't want to do any more damage than is already done, so I am going to take every precaution I can. I already have an extra oil filter, so I'll definitely be changing the oil and filter. I got the air box off...well, I got it loose, still trying to figure out how to get the darn thing out of the frame, maybe once I get the carb out the air box will come.

I'm planning on cleaning out the air box, taking the carb apart and cleaning everything in there...I've never done it before, but it doesn't look too hard, guess we will see.

I don't really care whether I buy a new petcock or fix the one I have....which is cheaper/easier/recommended?

Anyone have any suggestions on where to get a carb rebuilt kit and a petcock? How about an air filter? The oil filter gave me a lot of troubles to find and I never did find an air filter....tried finding a carb rebuild kit and not very successful...

Thanks for you help and suggestions!!!

One more thing....how do I get all the fuel out of the crank case? I'm sure even if I drain it that there will still be residual fuel left...I also know fuel dries up pretty fast...should I just leave the oil cap and plug off and let it dry?
Old 08-21-2011, 01:44 AM   #10
tcrave

Thanks!! Sorry again for duplicate topics. Will be doing the suggestions! Is there a difference between rebuilding a carb and cleaning one? Where do I get a kit? Where would you suggest getting an inline fuel filter at? How would that make a difference? It seems to me that a fuel filter would just filter the fuel...not really stop it from flooding the carb and getting in the crankcase...by that, I mean that I am ignorant on the subject, lol.