Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 12-22-2011, 01:07 PM   #11
EzyRider

Re: GZ125 chain replacement

I'm and Englishman through n through!

Well the bike is now booked in for an MOT first week in Jan so will get the guy to have a look over and see what he thinks of it and go from there!

Cheers for the help

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-22-2011, 02:24 PM   #12
Gz Rider

Old 12-22-2011, 03:09 PM   #13
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzyRider
I'm and Englishman through n through!

Well the bike is now booked in for an MOT first week in Jan so will get the guy to have a look over and see what he thinks of it and go from there!

Cheers for the help
Sounds like a good start to determining the condition of the chain and sprockets.

I would suspect the 125 and 250 have the same gearing and parts for more economical and manufacturing ease. The 250 has about 18/19 HP so the 125 would make 10 HP at most. I would be sticking with the stock gear ratios as I think Suzuki has a good idea about that.

12.57 in = 31.93 cm.

Sunstar make most if not all OEM sprockets for Japanese bikes. If you do need new parts don't worry about the Sunstar quality if the package says Sunstar instead of Suzuki.
Front sprockets should always be made of steel although some rear sprockets can be aluminum because they do not wear as fast as the front. Stick with steel, it is cheaper.
Chain choice is O-ring or X-Ring. O-Ring is OEM and will work well. X-Ring is a bit superior but don't bother unless you can get it for the same price or a small difference .

Now we can wait till after the MOT and then start all over again with good/bad news to work with. :lol: :lol:

Old 12-22-2011, 03:52 PM   #14
EzyRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
The 250 has about 18/19 HP so the 125 would make 10 HP at most. I would be sticking with the stock gear ratios as I think Suzuki has a good idea about that.
That's surprising about the 250, the 125 has 14.9 horses (or something along those lines) if I remember correctly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior

Now we can wait till after the MOT and then start all over again with good/bad news to work with. :lol: :lol:
It's going to be a bit like that I think...Though I'm hoping it wont be too bad as it's the bikes first MOT.
I haven't noticed the rear sprocket looking particularly bad, but then haven't really looked that hard at it. I might just do it as a set, then I know it's all good. That and an oil change at the least after it's MOT n she will be much happier.
Has felt a lot smoother after oiling the chain last weekend!
Getting my brother to knock up a pair of those axle stands I've seen on here over the xmas break then it will be tinkering time again
Old 12-22-2011, 04:37 PM   #15
mrlmd1

How many miles are on the bike and why do you think the chain and both sprockets need replacing?
Has the chain been cleaned and properly oiled? Did you measure it to see it has stretched beyond it's recommended length? Surface rust, if it has been dry, is not necessarily a reason to replace a chain. If the sprockets are not worn, they don't have to be replaced either. Have someone who knows something about bikes look at it first, you may be wasting your time and your money.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:51 PM   #16
Gz Rider

Old 04-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #17
rynr

sprockets and chain are different in GZ125 than 250

sprockets (for example JT sprockets): JTF410.15 and JTR1794.45
chain: DID428D132 - you can use standard or o-ring chain, using x-ring chain is not needed in bike that has 10 hp
Old 04-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #18
PimpS

Hello guys!

So, could anyone tell me what chain do i need to buy for my gz250? The guy in a store. told me that i don't need x ring, and that the chain for gz125 fits my gz250? Hmmm...
I believe him for x ring - no need for, since bike has only 20 hp, but the chain and sprockets?

Thanks!

PimpS
Old 04-02-2012, 03:03 PM   #19
alantf

The chain for the 250 is a size 520, with 110 links.

If your English is good enough, you can use the "search" facility, and you'll probably find all you need to know.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #20
Water Warrior 2

The X-ring chain is better no matter what the HP. It is all about the chain having sealed in lubrication and the length of time it will last. The internal pins are always lubed and dirt, grim sealed out. Internal pins are the reason for chain stretch as they wear.