Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 11-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #11
Water Warrior 2

Re: Rode a Honda NC700!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
WW ---It sounds like the guy that was bumping the rev limiter thought this was a sport bike.
Yup. A lot of bike testers who write for magazines are addicted to high reving sport machines.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #12
dentheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWR
It is only a 6500 rpm bike.

Very easy to red line with a quiet pipe.
If I recall correctly, the tach was showing 3000 rpm at 60 mph. I can see no reason to get close to redline unless abusing this bike. With speed limits now at 70 mph even on many backroads, and 80 on other highways, I am seriosly thinking of selling my Shadow in the spring and going for the NC700.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #13
Water Warrior 2

Go for it. The new Honda would make an excellant ride.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #14
dentheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
I do plan to go for it in a 3 or 4 months. I pay cash for things I COULD get by without.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #15
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
Quote:
I do plan to go for it in a 3 or 4 months. I pay cash for things I COULD get by without.
A very wise way to live.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #16
dentheman

I went to the dealer to look at the NC700 again. My HCI modular helmet (large) does not fit in that front storage area that supposedly will hold 'most full-face helmets'. It will hold some groceries, but the manual warns against storing items that are sensitive to heat. That causes me to wonder if that compartment is good for anything other than some helmets. At least there is an included helmet strap that attaches under the pillion seat and hangs out the side, according to the manual.

Also, I now see operator can select between 'normal' or 'sport' when shifting manually. Does anyone have any thoughts on what that would do?
Old 11-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #17
Water Warrior 2

Don't put ice cream in the front storage area. Hang the helmet on the side of the bike. I think the storage would be great for spare gloves, glasses, rain suit, flashlight, pressure gauge, pump, first aid kit etc.
I think the sport mode would allow the operator to raise the RPM of the shift points. Could be a lot of fun in the twisties. Try for a test ride in the Spring. The ABS would be/could be a life saver IMHO. I do seem to remember the brakes are linked too. The foot pedal activate the rear disc and one front disc. Honda has been perfecting this system for years and I've never heard or read any complaints about it.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #18
dentheman

Quote:
Don't put ice cream in the front storage area. Hang the helmet on the side of the bike. I think the storage would be great for spare gloves, glasses, rain suit, flashlight, pressure gauge, pump, first aid kit etc.
I think the sport mode would allow the operator to raise the RPM of the shift points. Could be a lot of fun in the twisties. Try for a test ride in the Spring. The ABS would be/could be a life saver IMHO. I do seem to remember the brakes are linked too. The foot pedal activate the rear disc and one front disc. Honda has been perfecting this system for years and I've never heard or read any complaints about it.
I will definitely go for another ride before I purchase, just to see what those shifter settings are all about. The brakes are interconnected and I checked them out during my last ride. If I really got on the front, rear, or both brakes I could feel the ABS apply and release many times a second. Of course I could not lock up the wheels like I can easily do with the rear wheel of my Shadow.
I don't understand what you mean by raising the shift points since both of those modes are for manual shifting only (I THINK), so the shifting would be done by the operator whenever he wanted... I THINK! BUT I AM NOT SURE. I will have to look into this further. A FEW MINUTES LATER: As I think about it, there would be no sense to having these modes for manual shifting, but it would make sense when in automatic. Isn't technology great...always something new to learn.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #19
Water Warrior 2

Stop the press's. Just 2 minutes ago I was looking at a pic of a CB500X. Yup a 500. It is the little brother to the 700. Next Spring could be very interesting in your local Honda dealership. I know I want to see one up close and personal.
The pics were from a photo shoot in Italy with 3 new 500 models from Honda. Finally bikes that aren't mega sized and overly costly.
Time to start searching the internet.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:55 AM   #20
alantf

I know that on cars, this sport/normal/ economy system is in the automatic mode. On my friend's Jaguar it just allows more or less revs before shifting.