Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 06-18-2008, 05:45 PM   #1
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Out of gas.

Just got in the house after pushing my bike 2.5 miles home. Went down into north Tulsa today to check out a motorcycle shop and was over-confident (read: ignorant) in the amount of gas in the tank/reserve. Apparently, the "reserve" only holds a couple of teaspoons of gas, because once it started sputtering, switching over to reserve got me only about 30 more yards down the road. My tripmeter read 191.2 when I stopped initially. It now reads 193.9.

Lesson well learned: Fill up the tank often.

85 degrees / 75% humidity/ Full sun = bad post-ride recovery.

It was going so well too.

:oops:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-18-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
Badbob

Maybe you only thought you had it on reserve. You might want to check your owners manual. Reserve is .8 US Gallons which will get me about 50 miles.

I've done that.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:16 PM   #3
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Very interesting point Bob.

Did everyone know that you can run the bike for over 190 miles (mostly "full" tank) with the switch in the reserve position the WHOLE TIME?

Yes...it's possible, and it makes you feel stupid.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:23 PM   #4
Badbob

Its not the kind of thing you forget twice. The good part is that you only had to go 2.5 miles.

I start looking for gas at about 150. Just in case. The way things are you might pull up to a pump running on vapor only to find its out of order or there is no gas because the delivery is late. I had that happen. If its 50 miles to the next pump your going to have to wait. I think its better to leave some room for options.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:26 PM   #5
Sarris

Oh Crap!

Been there, done that. I got kinda used to a fuel injected bike with a fuel guage or low fuel light. I ran out on my first tank on my GZ because the Suzuki dealer had it on reserve when I picked it up and I didn't check it. Thank the Lord that it stalled at an intersection with a gas station, so I rolled to the pump.

Very valuable lesson learned. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than smart.

LOL

:lol:

Old 06-18-2008, 06:29 PM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
Did everyone know that you can run the bike for over 190 miles (mostly "full" tank) with the switch in the reserve position the WHOLE TIME?
Well, no, apparently EVERYBODY didn't know that !! :lol: :neener: :oops:
Old 06-18-2008, 07:01 PM   #7
patrick_777

Yeah, obviously. Maybe I should have said "everyone ELSE"...
Old 06-18-2008, 07:42 PM   #8
Moedad

I ran out of gas on a 70+ mile ride on Saturday. Flipped it to "reserve" and rode a mile to the closest gas station. I have this question: How much gas are you guys able to fit in your tanks? Mine was empty and I filled it until the auto shut-off on the nozzle kicked in, then added a little more until I got up to what seemed to be close to the bottom of the fill neck. It was barely over 2 gallons according to the pump. Am I not filling it enough? I have a CA bike with a 3.4 gallon tank.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:04 PM   #9
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedad
Mine was empty and I filled it until the auto shut-off on the nozzle kicked in, then added a little more until I got up to what seemed to be close to the bottom of the fill neck. It was barely over 2 gallons according to the pump. Am I not filling it enough? I have a CA bike with a 3.4 gallon tank.
Let's see....3.4 minus .8 leaves 2.6....I think! So you are a little shy of the 2.4 I "think" you should be getting.
You are NOT filling up while sitting ON the bike and holding it straight up, are you? That would be bad for 2 reasons!!

You can actually get more in if it is on the side stand....and you can fill it until the fuel just touches the filler neck.
One or both of those things should get you an extra .2 to .4 on a fill.
There is always some unused space left at the top.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:38 PM   #10
JIBTEXHNKA

Send a message via AIM to JIBTEXHNKA
quick question: i know the GZ had a .8 gallon reserve, and 3.7 main tank... by "main" that in effect means "total," right? so 2.9 gallons until you hit reserve?