Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 12-05-2008, 06:59 PM   #11
Easy Rider

Re: small bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo
Those additional 400cc's really only amount to +10 horsepower vs the GZ.
And what percentage gain is that? Just shy of 100, I think.
How about the available torque; what kind of an increase in that?

What percentage gain was it that you made to your bike?

Sometimes the bare numbers tell the story; sometimes it is the relative increase (% gain) that is more telling.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-05-2008, 07:03 PM   #12
Easy Rider

Quote:
Right, i too have seen very small framed women riding anything from a sportster to a road king (local employee at Cycle Gear). Its all about confidence level.
And experience and training. How many 100 lb. women have you seen the FIRST time they grabbed a Road King ??? Trust me, for most, it is NOT a pleasant experience. I guarantee it wasn't for this (at the time) 150 lb., 5' 5" guy and a Gold Wing.
I'm sure it wouldn't be now either as the extra 30 lbs is NOT muscle !! :roll:
Old 12-05-2008, 07:05 PM   #13
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by primal
But, if the shoe fits, who am I to argue?
Indeed.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:20 PM   #14
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Those additional 400cc's really only amount to +10 horsepower vs the GZ.
And what percentage gain is that? Just shy of 100, I think.
How about the available torque; what kind of an increase in that?

What percentage gain was it that you made to your bike?

Sometimes the bare numbers tell the story; sometimes it is the relative increase (% gain) that is more telling.
Easy said it first. AVAILABLE TORQUE. The S-40 may seem shy on horse power but the torque is awesome compared to the GZ. Any uphill grade that gives the GZ trouble would be a dream with the S-40. Haven't ridden the S-40 but I have had a few test sits and I like it. I have however ridden a KLR 650 for a couple days and there was definitely enough power for the highway and some spirited riding at Deal's Gap. I am sure the Suzuki would be a much better pavement rider than the KLR with it's duel sport characteristics.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:53 AM   #15
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

So........................he shouldn't get one because its too much bike? I'm just trying to be encouraging and say 'hey if u want to move up, dont be discouraged by weight/hp etc ...'. Bigger bikes arent the enemy and CAN be ridden by anyone with the desire to do so. Thats the point i was trying to make. Not get into percentages and all that. I just do not get why i get knocked for trying to help encourage riders to move up if they so desire.

I made a big jump from 250cc 20 hp GZ to a 750 vtwin 55hp bike. After i did it and got a few days seat time i thought to myself, sh*t, it wasnt that big of a deal. Seemed intimidating at first and yes i was doubting myself getting on this 'beast' (at the time) of a bike. But in hindsight, it just was not that big of a deal.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook

Old 12-06-2008, 07:14 AM   #16
Sarris

Man, there are little 120 lb chicks riding HD Streetglides just like mine in my area. Little girls seem to like to ride the largest things..........

:banana:
Old 12-06-2008, 11:36 AM   #17
Easy Rider

Quote:
I just do not get why i get knocked for trying to help encourage riders to move up if they so desire.

But in hindsight, it just was not that big of a deal.
OK, you opened the door......I'll take a walk through it.

Here's the reason, plain and simple (from a feeble memory mind you, I'm not going searching looking for specific quotes):
It is not WHAT you say but HOW you say it. Relating your experience is fine as long as you keep it in perspective. Your experience and results may NOT be typical of ALL the riders out there. To represent that it IS ("IF I can do it, anybody can") is just simply not true and a dis-service to the person looking for advice.

To suggest or encourage a person to spend thousands of dollars on something without first doing some real, detailed PERSONAL evaluation is not a responsible thing to do. Whether it happened to YOU or not, the fact is that a lot of small people are just NOT able to comfortably handle a really big bike and some even get hurt trying.

So......saying "Go for it. It won't be a problem." to someone that you don't really know is NOT a good thing to do......IMHO.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:26 PM   #18
alanmcorcoran

Dupo,

I've been on the wrong side of the majority when it comes to advice (I felt that the MSF course was overrated and largely a waste of time.) Here's my two cents if anyone cares:

1) It helps to put your advice in context. I am a reasonably coordinated 50 year old man that has ridden bicycles for years, knows how to ski and reads books. If you can't tie your shoes without assistance, think rollerblades are for daredevils, and haven't read anything since high school, well, you probably SHOULD take the MSF course. But if you are similar to me, I think you can get a lot more out of a 25 dollar book and put your money towards a better jacket.

2) If you believe in your position and aren't taking it just to get attention, be contrary or start an argument, who cares if no one agrees with you. You are doing a service to the forum readers just to take the time to articulate it and there is a lot of value in that. A lot of these issues, (bike size, windshields, ATGATT, DIY vs dealer, mods) are not black and white and there is not necessarily one right answer. I, for one, found your description of your move up to a bigger bike to be very sincere, credible and likely to be similar to what I will experience. So, it is very valuable to me. I understand if I was a 70 year old woman that had never been out of her house, that your experience might not be the best one to model myself after.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:05 AM   #19
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
I understand if I was a 70 year old woman that had never been out of her house, that your experience might not be the best one to model myself after.
All very true but your perception is also "clouded" by your personal reality. :skeptical: ....or is it the other way around ? :??:

If you actually WERE a 70 year old woman (or a 17 year old kid) and not an above average intelligence, middle aged man......you might very well NOT understand that. O_o
Old 12-07-2008, 02:26 AM   #20
fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
Man, there are little 120 lb chicks riding HD Streetglides just like mine in my area. Little girls seem to like to ride the largest things..........

:banana:
A Harley-Davidson Sporster 883 Low is also on my list of possible upgrades in bikes. Here is the rest of my list:
Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD
Honda Shadow 600 (older model)
Yamaha V Star Classic 650
Buell Blast
Suzuki S40
Suzuki S50

I have sat on all these bikes. The vulcan, shadow, and star have the pegs too far forward for me. I can reach them but I feel uncomfortable. Because I have such short legs, my leg is really firm against the pipe guards. Don't care for that either. When I sat on the Suzuki S50 and kind felt the handlebars were high but okay. Too me if felt like the bike was really tall.

For me, it's down to the Sporster and the S40. I feel really comfortable sitting on both these bikes. I also tested a little bit of duck walking back and forth in the showroom. I like them because they are both narrow bikes (less than 28" inseams legs like this).

The weird thing is, it comes down to two bikes that are at opposite extremes of my list, when it comes to weight, power, and price. I am going with the S40 mainly because of the price.

If money was not such a factor (my job is not the best paying or most secure at this time) I think I would actually go with the sporster. I know the bike is over 580 lbs. in running order but I really felt comfortable on it. The weight is so low it was easy for me to take it off the kickstand and straighten up. More so that the shadow 600. The sporster's pegs, are positioned right below me, which makes me feel more confident. Maybe some day I will get the sporster, but for right now I have decided on the S40 for getting me around town, to and from work, and improving my riding skills.

Here is a pic of my on my GZ 250 at my sister's house. She does not live far from where I live.