Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 11-01-2009, 12:15 AM   #1
alazar14

I finally rode a GZ250!

Today at 6am I started the ridden portion of my MSF course and I happen to have chosen the GZ250 that they had there as my learning bike for 6 hours of riding.

I gotta say it takes sometime getting used to the closeness of the shift and footrest but other than that I had virtually no problems with the GZ at 6ft tall. The bike did feel a bit weak though and I am starting to see why people tell me I may want to gravitate for a 600cc cruiser as my starter bike even though it may have about 20,000 miles. Chances are ill use it much longer than the GZ. I still don't know though something about both the Yamaha Virago and the GZ250 I like a LOT and its not the small size so much as it is just knowing their MPG and capabilities on surface streets. Tomorrow at 6am I get to do my 2nd and last part of my MSF course and I plan to get right back up on that GZ again.

The GZ is very cheap bike (Iv seen it on craigslist for as low as $1300 with less than 10k miles on it.
but it does feel very underpowered (In comparison to my only other experience my 1995 Chev Camaro). So Most likely I may want to try out a Honda Shadow 600 since Iv always kinda loved the look of the shadow and reliability of Honda.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-01-2009, 12:41 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: I finally rode a GZ250!

The GZ will feel under powered because it is to a certain extent. That is why it makes a near perfect first bike and training bike. Lynda rode her GZ half way across Canada and back. She did have full confidence in her abilities, the bike's abilities and it also ran like a jewel. The GZ can teach a rider to use it's power and abilities to the best effect for happy riding. You do have to plan ahead in the mountains, on long hills and in snarled up traffic. This helps to build skills and knowledge without the fear of a bike taking you on a wild ride if you grab a big handfull of throttle. Prior experience helped her transition to a larger cruiser with much more power and weight.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:59 AM   #3
alazar14

Honestly I would not mind the underpower so much if it was not for the closeness of the shift leaver and the footrest on the left hand side. I wish I could put the shift leaver just 1 inch higher would make the world of difference and comfort. Other than that I can totally see myself on a GZ250 for 6-8 months without getting tired. But I do plan to use my motorcycle for daily commute every single day of the week...for that reason alone I am starting to consider something bigger than a 250.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:45 AM   #4
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

alazer,

That's actually a very easy adjustment to make on the GZ (and most bikes). You can ask your instructor to adjust it up for you. Mine was happy to adjust stuff for the students if it made them more comfortable on the bikes. "Comfort = safety" is a general rule.

As for your bike choices, you have to evaluate what you'll personally be happy with. The GZ excels at commuting. High mpg and a very linear power curve are it's best attributes. Like WW said, it won't get out from under you like some of the bigger bikes will.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:35 AM   #5
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by alazar14
Today at 6am I started the ridden portion of my MSF course
So MSF works the night shift??????? :??: :lol:

Old 11-01-2009, 07:27 AM   #6
alazar14

Yeah this weekend has been a bit hard on me. MSF hours were really funky.

Day 1

Classroom - 6pm-10pm

Day 2 Range - 6am-12pm

Day 2 Class room 1:30pm-4pm

Day 3 Range 6am-12pm
Old 11-01-2009, 11:34 AM   #7
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Originally Posted by alazar14
Today at 6am I started the ridden portion of my MSF course
So MSF works the night shift??????? :??: :lol:
Do you consider 6am, "night"?

They are pretty weird hours, but it looks like they just broke the class time into two 4 hour shifts with range time in between. It's pretty smart actually, considering the material.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:43 AM   #8
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777

Do you consider 6am, "night"?
Sure do! That means that you've got to get up at something like 4 in the morning, to get a shower, get breakfast, get geared up, & ride out to the course.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:59 PM   #9
diffluere

You get up 2 hours before going places? Mine started at 6am also. I woke up at 5:20, made coffee, gathered my things and hopped in the car. Of course, the course was only about a 4 minute drive from my house.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:08 AM   #10
burkbuilds

alazar14,
I'm glad you are getting a chance to ride the GZ in the MSF course. This is a great bike to learn on and get some experience with before moving up. Maybe if you can find a used one for a low price you could stay with it for several months and when you feel your riding skills are ready you could sell it for what you have in it and move up to something in the 600cc range for future driving. I know that the 70mpg is appealing, but if you try to run the GZ at 65-70 mph your mileage will probably drop into the mid 50's and you'd be no better off than if you were riding a slightly bigger bike. My Vulcan 500 gets about 60 mpg around town and about 52-54 mpg when I ride 70-75 mph on trips back and forth to Atlanta. The one time I made that trip on the GZ and had her WOT the entire trip it got in the mid 50's mpg and I certainly was not able to cruise at the top speed, going back and forth between 50 and 70mph most of the time on the hills around here. I guess what I'm saying is that you shouldn't let gas mileage be the only basis for your decision, riding styles, where you drive and how fast can make an enormous difference in mpg's.