Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 12-28-2007, 06:29 AM   #1
Aussie_Al

Send a message via MSN to Aussie_Al
Single pots or "V" twins

Heres a question that might get the purists ire up..... whats best.... a single pot 250 or "V" twin 250, (single pot 650 as in the S40 (that we DONT get in Aust'!!! :cuss: ) or a twin 650cc). Ive heard many and varied discussion, pro and con singles, let me thow the floor open to your comments......

Have fun, Al'

Exhibit "A" :2tup:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-28-2007, 10:05 AM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: Single pots or "V" twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_Al
Heres a question that might get the purists ire up..... whats best.... a single pot 250 or "V" twin 250,
Seems to me like you would be uniquely qualified to ANSWER the question rather than ask it ...........'cause you seem to have one of each already!!! :roll:

I am sorry (some days) that I didn't test ride the 250 twins before getting the GZ but I still like the style better.

So, you tell us, which of your bikes do you like better?

I suspect that the engine design is not the only consideration.......cruiser vs standard vs sport (Ninja) riding position would be important too (at least to me).
Old 12-28-2007, 11:33 AM   #3
trykemike

The question depends on the engine displacement.

bigger engines have a cut-off point where rotating mass and vibration dictate multiple cylinders.

Hey Al I have ridden both singles and twins. In my experience the singles had more low end torque than the twins , however ther twins had the higher top end due to higher max rpm ( shorter stroke ) . Also the twins may have 2 carbs for the same displacement so more power results. The single has better engine braking and a subtle vibe that indicates that it is THERE ! . The exhaust note seemed deeper with the single.

Most ATVs and the Trykes before them all had singles ( low end torque ). Motocross bikes are also singles.

Each engine type has it's own personality.

Maintenance : easier to tune 1 carb than 2. Only 1 set opf valves to adjust . Only 1 spark plug to change.

That's my take.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:20 PM   #4
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

FOr performance, and my only experiences have been with a Ninja 250 and an old '69 suzuki T250, the twin cylinder totally blows away the single.

I am getting much better fuel economy on the GZ than I ever did on my Ninja. (55 vs. 66+)

Single cylinder maintainance is much easier though. You never have to carb synch on a single. Also, valve adjustments and all that other crap are much easier on a single.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:03 PM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
I am getting much better fuel economy on the GZ than I ever did on my Ninja. (55 vs. 66+)
There is really no comparison between the Ninja 250 and any other 250cc bike. The Ninja is unique in it's engine design.

I think the OP was looking for a comparison of small engine bikes in the NON-sport classes.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:07 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

I can offer a slight comparison of the GZ and Yammer 250 Virago. Having ridden Happy Hobo's GZ on occasions and having ridden the Yammer for 4 days during M/C training I would prefer the GZ overall. The GZ has a bigger tank and fuller fenders that give it a presence and larger look. It has a single cylinder engine that is pretty much fool proof and a two into one exhaust due to the 4 valve head. The Virago has a neat looking V-twin with dual pipes but I did not enjoy listening to it out on the road. I found it too loud for my taste. Also having a smaller tank would limit it a bit for any long distance stuff if you wanted to really get there in short order. In my eyes the Virago also looks a bit flimsy because of the leaner look. I think the Virago has a little more performance at the expense of comfort and ease of operation. Either bike will get you there with a smile on your face and that is what it is all about.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:20 PM   #7
Aussie_Al

Well done all!!

You've pretty much taken the discussion on and answered all my questions...... Thanks.

Remembering that we're ALL riding a small capacity CRUISER and NOT hight performance 250. I agree that I like the FAT, LONG, LOW look of the GZ and she seems to be becoming a modern small classic.

The GZ 250 is pretty scarce in Aust' and mine always gets a surprising glance thats she's a Suzuki (WOW, looks like a little Harley!! (CRINGES ), and are all surprised by her capacity (really only 250cc??).

So it's (I gather) completely up to the individual and taste, I think all those that have owned or thinking of buying the GZ wont go too far wrong.

Thank you all, Al'
Old 01-01-2008, 07:24 PM   #8
Aussie_Al

Post Script.... "Easy Rider".....The Yammy isn't mine, she's my girlfriends, she wont let me ride it HEHEHEHEHE.... Of course im kidding but I like mine better :neener:

Al'
Old 01-20-2008, 08:27 PM   #9
Aussie_Al1

Send a message via MSN to Aussie_Al1
Post Post script, Just bought new left a nd right mirrors and complete exhaust system, shes almost better now than new :2tup:

Al'
Old 01-20-2008, 11:20 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

After seeing your pics of the bike I would assume you went to aftermarket parts to change the appearance and sound.