Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 08-13-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
Water Warrior 2

Shortened Yukon trip.

Okay, we are back after cutting short the ride to the Yukon. First let me say it was an ambitious ride for 2 old folks. With all the planning and preparations there is no way to control forest fires, road construction delays, weather and my old back that decided I needed to slow down to a halt.
We did manage to ride as far as Bucking Horse/Mile 175 of the Alaska Highway. The entire planned ride would have been 5000 kms but ended at 2880 kms (1780 miles) by the time we got back home.
Not a super long trip but fairly exciting at times and filled with idjits on occasion because they have to first to the scene of the disaster or be first to the gas pumps. Did get some nice pics but not many of them. Met and talked to some really fascinating folks on the way too. Folks love to talk to travellers and they add so much charm to any given area with their personal stories and experiences. That seems to be a common truth anywhere we have been.
Now off to find my pics and make some decisions and comments. Be right back.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-13-2010, 03:45 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Shortened Yukon trip.

Can you say smoke ? That is the sun shining through the smoke. A bit hard to breath and see through but we managed overall. Thankfully the much needed rain dampened the fires and cleared the air for a while to give the fire fighters a break. Question..............what happens when fire fighters take a break ? Answer.........they fill up every available room in a given area or town. We finally found the one last room after much searching. It came with it's own ant colony for entertainment. lol.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:08 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Bijoux Falls is just a few minutes South of this rest stop and 90 seconds more into the nicest little picnic area with tall trees and friendly dogs. Quiet yet close to the highway. A nice place to suck down a bottle of water and listen to the birds.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

One of the sunny days. A good place to stop and stretch the legs a bit. More water of course. Lemon tea is also a hit with my taste buds.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
blaine

Excellent pictures.Looks like you had a exciting trip. :roll: :cool:

Old 08-13-2010, 04:49 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

The bane of all travellers. Road repairs, upgrades and construction are common with up to 20 minute delays. We did get to chat with a fireman from Minn. who was riding to Prudoe Bay. He had more agressive tires waiting further North to tackle the tougher roads and possible weather problems. Good planning is a must.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:03 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

A metal decked bridge at Taylor B.C. Only the first few hundred feet are exciting............ :lol: . Heading north is slightly uphill and gentle acceleration lightens up the front end to make the front end less worrisome. Just let the bike do it's dance and smile. Heading south is downhill, the acceleration thing is a little iffy with a left curve right after getting off the bridge. All in all a good experience to add to the skills and pass on to the less experienced among us. Really no different from a grooved road surface but would be slippery in the rain.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:17 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Lynda watched from the highway while I snapped a couple pics. This was at the North end of Dawson Creek. Then we went back into town and played tourist, bought T-shirts and talked to friendly folks. Was a beautiful day for a stroll, a bite to eat and a nice room with a relaxing shower.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:30 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

The Mile 0 sign post in the middle of the intersection is the real thing. Not the original post though. The original post was wooden and stolen during Halloween by pranksters who replaced it with an outhouse. This one is here to stay.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:52 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Reflections on water. What can be said that a pic won't convey much better. After this stop I mounted the camera on the bike and a bug promptly smashed into the lense covers and jammed them closed. I didn't realize that until I got a few pics of dark. I don't look at the camera while riding but just push buttons and pray for good results.