Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 05-29-2014, 05:06 AM   #61
tnastvogel

If that's the case and the choke is somehow stuck on, check the new plug and see if it's fouled. If it is, then that's a possibility.

Try greasing the starter circuit.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-29-2014, 06:27 PM   #62
mainlinecoffee

I just briefly flew over this thread but for what it's worth,I havnt used choke sence I rebuilt the carb. If it winds high and dies I would assume it was vac leak but not ruling out jetting float position or sticking. Mine still flutters and idles high when it gets hot.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:19 AM   #63
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

It's his choke. Someone has fiddled with it before and it just needs to be repaired to factory operation.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:00 PM   #64
osborne

I've attached two photos to this post of the choke mechanism full on and off. Could someone maybe get a measure of their own and post it? The pics show the measurement I need. And as an aside.......I've been through the choke from the carb to the switch and makes no sense to me that the switch returns so forcefully to the off position by itself. The spring on the carb end of the line doesn't appear to be distorted/stretched/tampered with or in any way problematic.

But I'm wo0ndering if cutting a few loops off the spring would ease the tension and stop the auto return on the switch?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CHOKE FULL OFF.jpg (87.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg CHOKE FULL ON.jpg (82.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 06-23-2014, 03:47 PM   #65
TrevorG

A few weeks ago Raul posted a pic of a piece he said you may be missing. sounded pretty confident in his diagnosis. Did you ever check to make sure that part is there? It's a little rectangular metal plate with a screw sitting directly underneath the choke lever on the underside of the handlebar.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:30 AM   #66
osborne

I did check and replied to raul. The small plate and the spring it holds in place are there on mine.

The bitch of this is that my local rice guy wanted $82.73 for a solenoid for this bike. {I got one on ebay for $10 bucks or so}.....so I'm almost afraid to think what he'd jam me to fix this choke problem. Prolly more than I paid for the bike!

Last edited by osborne; 06-24-2014 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:54 PM   #67
osborne

OK........still working this damned choke bug. I replaced the choke cable with a new OEM cable this afternoon. While it did idle lower than before with some up and down in Rpms, it started with no choke applied and the spring return on the choke lever was as strong as ever. After 8 minutes or so it stalled out and wouldnt start. Emmediately pulled the plug and it wasn't "wet" but it was black and sooty. Zero smoke from the exhaust while it was running though.

2nd point.......I examined the small spring in the left hand grip housing. It would appear to be there to ride against the bottom of the choke lever {the internal "C" shaped end of the choke lever} and provide some tension countering the plunger spring's return. It doesn't seem to be making contact as in o0r out the return on the lever is the same. I even tried a small bearing on top of the spring, giving it extra reach to contact the choke lever. Still no effect on the return of the lever by itself to the off position.