Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 04-24-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
osborne

More idling issues.....

Ive read through several of the idle issue and vacuum leak threads here and it sounds like my problem is a leak. My question is.......

Apart from the large {aprox 2.5"} hose connecting the air box to the carb at the rear of the carb......I can only locate two other air lines connecting to the carb.

1. is at the top rear of the carb {right side} and that one runs back to behind the airbox and just stops there....open ended.

2. the other is thinner and is attached to the upper right side of the carb.......just above where the throttle cables attach to the rotating, spring loaded bit. This one is about 4" long and has a slightly widened end which for the life of me I cant figure out where it goes. Is there a diagram anywhere or can someone explain where it goes? Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by osborne; 04-24-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:05 PM   #2
mainlinecoffee

If I remimber correct there is a fuel overflow line to the airbox there is a vaccum line to the Petcock and possibly a breather to the slide in the carburetor. Can you post a pic?
Old 04-24-2014, 07:44 PM   #3
osborne

in the morning Ill have a pic up

Old 04-25-2014, 01:05 AM   #4
TrevorG

Yeah. Having just worked on this exact issue myself, the one on the top going out over the air box is just an overflow line, and the one in the back of the throttle with the widened end is a vacuum line that attaches to a nipple in the back of the petcock. If it is a leak, it will be from one of the rubber boots attaching the carb to either the airbox or the engine, or it will be from that line coming out the back going to the petcock.

I solved my problem by pulling the carb and giving it a good cleaning, then spending extra time making sure the carb was properly seated in the two rubber boots on either side and clamping those suckers down TIGHT.

Last edited by TrevorG; 04-25-2014 at 01:07 AM.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:48 AM   #5
osborne

Thanks.......Ive been through the carb 3 or 4 times now.....cleaned the jets and orifi pretty thoroughly. I changed out the OEM petcock for an ebay aftermarket unit. I don't believe there is a tit for that airline.

its here....mine is the bottom left unit.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171284715565

Gonna try closing off the air line soon as the sun comes up and see if that helps.

One other question......the choke lever on the left switch housing....the spring tension has it all the way forward. That is, one has to pull it back towards the rider seemingly to engage it. Its so damned awkward Im wondering if its somehow reversed?

Last edited by osborne; 04-25-2014 at 04:56 AM.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:00 AM   #6
blaine

Yep.Back towards you engages the choke.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:14 AM   #7
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine View Post
Yep.Back towards you engages the choke.
Meaning yours isn't messed up. This is how it should be.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:51 AM   #8
osborne

Really? That's got to be the worst bit of engineering Ive ever seen on a bike. You have to pull the clutch in and pull it back at the same time. Anyone ever try turn it around so your thumb pushes it forward to choke it?
Old 04-25-2014, 10:22 AM   #9
TrevorG

What? You don't have to do it at the same time. Pull the lever forward and it should stay there on its own. If it snaps back into place when you let it go then thats a different problem.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:51 AM   #10
osborne

Let me explain. On mine, it rests at the fully forward position....relative to the bike. I have to pull it back against spring tension and letting it go it snaps forward again. Using one hand to pull the clutch in while also pulling the choke lever back towards me is strange. To my way of thinking its counter intuitive.