Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 05-17-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
burkbuilds

Sometimes Cages don't even look.

I was in the left lane today going about 45 mph and was alongside of a full size pick up truck with two women in it. The driver, never signaled, and never glanced at her side view mirror, she just came over into my lane. I hit my brakes hard and then my horn, but she never even glanced anywhere, just seemed to continue talking to the lady in the passenger seat. I was practically even with her door when she came over and there was a high curb on my left so no where to go to evade her. I followed her for about a mile after that and the entire time I never saw her head turn and look anywhere but straight ahead. Sorry for the rant, but some people should not be driving, anything. I could have been wearing strobe lights and I don't think she would have noticed.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-17-2010, 11:37 PM   #2
GZ Jess

Re: Sometimes Cages don't even look.

Every time I am on the bike as a passenger or riding myself someone cuts me off! EVERY SINGLE TIME! It is really scary and I spend all of my energy watching everyone else! I'm glad you were safe!
Old 05-18-2010, 12:13 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Don't ride beside a cage ever. Hang back a bit or speed up and get ahead of it a bit. I know that may be difficult in some places but try to find a piece of road to call your own without being beside another vehicle.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:23 AM   #4
burkbuilds

WW, that is very good advice, unfortunately, in Atlanta Traffic, you are almost always beside somebody, if you get behind them in a different lane, they just cut over in front of you and someone else pulls up beside you. Traffic here is horrible, when I finally graduate, there won't be enough money to entice me to move into a crowded city! Even my small home town is getting to busy for my taste, and there are only 60,000 people in the entire county there. Atlanta is a really strange place, only about 500,000 people actually live in the city, but over 2 million commute in and out every day, crazy traffic.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:15 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

2 million commuters sounds really ugly. Do you have a Stebel air horn yet ?

Old 05-18-2010, 11:59 PM   #6
burkbuilds

No, but I was definitely wanting something loud at that moment when the truck came over into my lane! Up until now, I haven't really thought much about it, but now I'm thinking it would be well worth having an air horn.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:48 AM   #7
burkbuilds

WW, you convinced me. I just ordered a Stebel Nautilus Air horn and wiring kit for my bike.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:16 AM   #8
Water Warrior 2

You will love the air horn. Word of warning though, do not test it out in a confined space. They are that loud. Mine died due to operator error but I was more than satisfied with it. Bought a Fiam Freeway Blaster and was really disappointed when comparing the 2 for attention getting results. That was about 3 months ago and I think I wasted my money. Air horn time is in the future for safety's sake. ................And forest rats really pay attention. I even saved a bear cub from sure death when I scared him back into the bushes when he was trying to cross the highway with heavy traffic.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:32 PM   #9
burkbuilds

You should get a job marketing for them WW. You could change their slogan to "I saved the world with my Strebel Air Horn". Or, "Buy a Stebel Air Horn and save a baby bear cub". Or how about, "With a Strebel Air horn, your life isn't the only one you might be saving". Or maybe, "Live Responsibly, buy a strebel air horn and save endangered species from extinction". :biggrin: On the other side of that type of thinking, did you know that if not for the invention of the automobile, Possums would have taken over the world years ago. O_o
Old 05-20-2010, 01:01 AM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Actually I have had a lot of chuckles with the air horn. A wandering cell driver had a hard time hearing her cell with my air horn howling at her.
Also scared a couple folks so bad they almost flipped their phones out the window.
Will be ordering a new Stebel in the next few days. Got to thinking about my own comment about forest rats and our up and coming trip to the Yukon this summer. Loud horns save lives. :lol: