Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 02-22-2017, 07:21 PM   #1
Pmhearns

Head gasket issue.. HELP!!!

So I figured blown head gasket... tore apart the head and found this!! The cylinder has 2 oil gullies that appear to fending the head... I look at the old gasket and head, much to my surprise, no holes. The new gasket we ordered has the holes. The one on the bike does not. Any one know which its supposed to be? I looked at the diagram foe the 2000 and it doesn't show holes.... so why would the cyldener and the gasket have holes?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170222_190639.jpg (97.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20170222_190731.jpg (93.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20170222_190711.jpg (97.5 KB, 18 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-23-2017, 04:39 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

I'm sure some one with the answer will be along shortly. I do not have an answer but just an idea in my mind. The oil circulation may be for lubrication of internal parts. If not, then the oil circulation could actually be for a bit of oil cooling of the top end. There is a lot of heat generated up top and this may be a design to increase reliability. Over the years many bike builders have used oil cooling to suppliment air or liquid cooling.
Now that my curiousity is up and running we can both wait for a definitive answer.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:29 PM   #3
Pmhearns

I understand the purpose of the oil gullies but why is there not one in the head yet there are clearly passageways in the jug? Positive pressure builds behind the passages causing oil leak and 'blown gasket' symptoms. The old gasket clearly is wrong for the jug, but appears correct for the head. Are these suppose to just fill with oil like you said and allowing more surface area behind the fins to cool the oil?

Im going to wait to reassemble until I get a decent answer lol.

Also, does the oil possibly 'ride' the cam chain and sling up into the head? Coating the cam shafts and Springs and what not? Seems likely because there isn't gullies built into head...

Old 02-24-2017, 02:33 AM   #4
Water Warrior 2

I really have no idea what it all boils down to. I never had the need to tear down the GZ and likely would never have noticed the gasket difference or the oil gullies if that is what they are.
My actual experience with a broken GZ is a big "0". We never had any problems in 3 seasons of riding with the exception of a headlight bulb going out. Lynda bought the bike virtually brand new, not even half way to it's 1st oil change. Lynda did the riding and I was in charge of adding stuff.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:56 AM   #5
Pmhearns

So... no one huh? OK well I'll provide some more info as I got into it. Oil rides up 2 of the head studs. There are 2 small gullies in the through holes for the studs. Underneath the cam shafts is where the oil is injected into the head. Hence there are 2 'washers' and 2 'gaskets' to install on the 4 studs. Make sure you install them correctly! As for the 2 holess in the jug? We will see if it's OK to block them off. With the correct pcv system in place I can't see there being enough oil pressure to blown out the head gasket at the location.