Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 02-28-2009, 02:10 PM   #11
Easy Rider

Re: 16 Tooth Sprocket + Needle Shim Combo = spark plug fouler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. softie
2) Turn up your idle a few hundred RPM using the throttle stop screw (basically you want a fast idle). This will make it easier to hear small changes in RPM.
Good writeup.

I have usually found that the final, fine adjustment is easier if you decrease the idle speed back to normal.....or slightly below.

I don't think this is going to be a factor for Canuck though. I believe something is amiss with his needle adjustment. Either he went too many notches or didn't get something back together exactly right.

The other posssibility is that the Canadian carb. is jetted different and he really didn't need to do the mod in the first place. I don't think we have heard from anybody else having a similar problem caused by the needle mod. Might be something else causing it too.....like the choke not going completely off or a clogged air cleaner...........?????

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-28-2009, 04:00 PM   #12
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider

The other posssibility is that the Canadian carb. is jetted different and he really didn't need to do the mod in the first place.
According to my owner's handbook (Spanish bike) the Canadian spec is the same as the Spanish.
The only difference is the lighting (to comply with Canadian regulations), therefore it is HIGHLY likely that he didn't need to mess with the carb. If it is the same as mine, he certainly didn't. It seems like he was reading about the mods to the American carb, & just assumed that his was the same. As you, yourself, pointed out, the European carb is slightly richer.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:28 PM   #13
Canuck

If the choke doesnt go completely off while your riding can this cause extensive damage in the future ... or also cause the spark plug to foul ?

how does this happen ....an old spring mechanism inside the carburator from the choke cable warped and not returning fully??

In this case would you replace or use something to clamp the spring tighter and put it the needle then screw back into the carb ? or need a whole new choke cable altogether?

Old 02-28-2009, 10:30 PM   #14
Canuck

I had posted LONG ago about my Carburator issues so i got one off Ebay from a guy in Illinois

Works beautiful and the bronze cap is covering the main jet screw from the bottom?

I'm wondering if i should take that off and check its adjustment before i REVERSE the washer from its current position back to the original on the main needle.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:43 PM   #15
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck
If the choke doesnt go completely off while your riding can this cause extensive damage in the future ... or also cause the spark plug to foul ?
No and yes, in that order. It will only affect the mixture at idle AND would pull up the idle speed too, likely making it impossible to set the idle speed with the throttle stop.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:50 PM   #16
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck
Works beautiful and the bronze cap is covering the main jet screw from the bottom?
No that covers the IDLE jet. Probably not worth messing with unless you are having trouble getting it to idle smoothly (when hot). OTOH, the plug is about impossible to remove when the carb is ON the bike so if you have it off, that would be a good time to pop it out.

At this point, I think I would advise putting in a new plug and inspecting it again after a few hundred miles. Always the chance of screwing something up big time whenever you take something apart so I wouldn't go back into the carb unless I was pretty sure I needed to.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:59 PM   #17
Canuck

So after i thought about it, Im considering putting the washer back on top of the needle.

doesnt take much to reverse, Take the screws out of the top of the carb take off the black cap and gently remove the needle and put the washer from underneath to on-top of the needle.

Might be why my spark plug is getting fouled. Ill check the color of the plug again as well but im guess im running to rich with the needle shim mod.

Dont know why or how cause i did like the mod at first. In the end i think it does more harm then good.. IE Lower mileage and a mix too rich.

Oh well.