Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 05-02-2019, 11:20 AM   #1
GZ250 Dan

2001 Gz250

I am a new GZ250 owner. I have a question. Ever since I bought my bike I have always thought 60mph in 5th gear sounds like the rpm is too high. Since there are no tech it concerns me that i will be over reving. I'm new to motorcycles all together. Am i underestimating the rev limits? It seems like going 70 would blow the engine.

Story so far......I bought it a few months back, first time ever on one I rode 35 miles home and I was hooked. This is a 2001 and it had 2004 miles on it. This bike was clean. Now it has 4,500 miles. I have changed oil 3 times now when I did some work on it. When I throttle up hard it almost sounds like there's a knock or rattle in the engine, normal acceleration it dont sound that way and it runs great all around. This may be normal engine noise. What do you guys think?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-05-2019, 01:44 AM   #2
wacio

On fifth gear - the rpm are very close to mph x 100. So 50 mph = 5000, 80 mph = 8000 rpm, etc. As far as the rattle - it is most likely normal. Note that this is air cooled engine so there is more noise than in liquid cooled engine. Good indication of the state of the engine is - how easy it is to start and what is oil amount/condition after some riding. If you need to add oil and it gets dirty quick - it would indicate potential problems.
Also I would advise to check valve clearances (should be done every 3000 miles on this engine).