Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 03-28-2012, 02:10 AM   #1
jack-_-hammer

2 problems dont know if its normal

On my old 600gsxr On a cold night or a summer day it would start right away, So just out of curiosity Is it normal for my Gz250 on a cold morning to take a while to start i usually have to put the choke which i know that's normal but i have to press the power button 5-7 times is that normal? Another thing is when i'm riding once the bike is warm. Is it normal for the bike to lose power while i'm on high revs? it usually does it 1st gear 2nd gear and sometimes 3rd gear once i get to 4th and 5th i dont really notice it. Just curious Previous owner had the bike sitting for 3 months. I once left my gsxr sit for 6 months and when i started the bike i didnt notice anything different. My friend advised me to use some carb cleaner i'm probably going to do that tomorrow.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-28-2012, 04:35 AM   #2
alantf

Re: 2 problems dont know if its normal

Yup...........Carb cleaner is your best bet. For some reason, Suzuki put the crappest of crap carbs on the Gz. Once you get it running properly, you'll find that you'll need to add carb cleaner to the tank every few fill ups, to keep the carb at peak performance. :2tup:
Old 03-28-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I concur.

Just add carb cleaner and see where that leaves you. It's a common issue. Small passages and just a little bit of varnish or other gas tank trash can lead to some head-banging issues.

If the cold starting problem persists or gets worse, then you need to look into a valve adjustment.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
For some reason, Suzuki put the crappest of crap carbs on the Gz.
There's nothing wrong with Mikuni BS carbs, they are an excellent performing carb. The reason GZ's run so lousy, is not the carb, but the carb's EPA compliant lean jetting.
2001 KX500
2007 YZ450F
2001 GZ250 (Wife's !)
Old 03-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack-_-hammer
On my old 600gsxr On a cold night or a summer day it would start right away, So just out of curiosity Is it normal for my Gz250 on a cold morning to take a while to start i usually have to put the choke which i know that's normal but i have to press the power button 5-7 times is that normal? Another thing is when i'm riding once the bike is warm. Is it normal for the bike to lose power while i'm on high revs? it usually does it 1st gear 2nd gear and sometimes 3rd gear once i get to 4th and 5th i dont really notice it. Just curious Previous owner had the bike sitting for 3 months. I once left my gsxr sit for 6 months and when i started the bike i didnt notice anything different. My friend advised me to use some carb cleaner i'm probably going to do that tomorrow.
Sounds like you are experiencing upper rpm lean out. Also sound like there is some blockage in the main needle jet. There is also a "questionable" vacume line connection that recieves vacume from the carb to the fuel petcock tap. If this connection at the fuel tap is "loose" the diaphram inside the fuel valve will not remain fully open and also cause upper rpm fuel starvation.
2001 KX500
2007 YZ450F
2001 GZ250 (Wife's !)

Old 03-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Clam
The reason GZ's run so lousy, is not the carb, but the carb's EPA compliant lean jetting.
Gotta disagree My European bike doesn't have the lean jetting, but I had all the problems associated with the carb, when I first got the bike (NEW!!!). A few doses of fuel additive later (I can't get carb cleaner, over here) & it ran like a different bike. Never ever had these carb problems on my other bikes, with different carbs. Don't even know what make the other carbs were, because I never had to touch them.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:50 PM   #7
jack-_-hammer

Is there a specific carb cleaner you guys recommend. I may have to take her to the shop.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:56 PM   #8
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack-_-hammer
Is there a specific carb cleaner you guys recommend. I may have to take her to the shop.
Two of the best are,Berrymans b12 and SeaFoam. :cool:

Old 03-29-2012, 08:39 AM   #9
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Berryman's is 1/3 the price of SeaFoam unless they are running a special and you can get SeaFoam 2 for 1 sometimes.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #10
Rionna

How do you use the SeaFoam and should you use it even if you're not having any problems for preventative maintenance?