Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 03-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #11
blaine

Re: 2 problems dont know if its normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rionna
How do you use the SeaFoam and should you use it even if you're not having any problems for preventative maintenance?
I use 1 oz per gallon,once a month. :cool:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #12
mrlmd1

Either one - one oz/gal of fuel, dumped into the tank. For preventative maintenance, maybe once every 3-4 fillups.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #13
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I use Marvel Mystery Oil fairly consistently, just because the bottle looks more old school and I like nostalgia.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #14
jack-_-hammer

The bottles come in 16 OZ cans how do you tell your putting 1 oz? do you just guess or use something to measure then pour in?
Old 03-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #15
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Just get a measuring cup of some sort from the dollar store. I'm not all that scientific with it. I just pour in what I assume to be about a shot glass worth and let it ride. With the Marvel stuff, there are little OZ markers on the side as you pour, similar to a quart marker on an oil bottle.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #16
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
I use Marvel Mystery Oil fairly consistently, just because the bottle looks more old school and I like nostalgia.

I notice that it says "top cylinder" lubricant. I remember, back in the days of leaded petrol, on the petrol station forecourts in England, they had pump cans, rather like oversize pump oil cans, of "upper cylinder lubricant". We used to put in one shot per gallon. Don't know what was in it, but they reckoned that you were putting back the good things that refining took out. That was in the days when the lead used to lubricate the valves etc (the old side valve engines) Don't know if it did any good, but it certainly did no harm
Old 03-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #17
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Honestly, I just like it cause it smells like oil and a cherry mint.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:43 AM   #18
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq

I notice that it says "top cylinder" lubricant. I remember, back in the days of leaded petrol, on the petrol station forecourts in England, they had pump cans, rather like oversize pump oil cans, of "upper cylinder lubricant". We used to put in one shot per gallon. Don't know what was in it, but they reckoned that you were putting back the good things that refining took out. That was in the days when the lead used to lubricate the valves etc (the old side valve engines) Don't know if it did any good, but it certainly did no harm
Mystery Oil was a common additive in the early 70's after the ban on lead additives in fuel. Lead was the primary lubricant for the valve stems, and the valve seats. I used to race motocross in the 80's so I used to add some 2 stroke premix oil in my older cars' fuel for valve lubrication. Many guys with vintage muscle cars will add Mystery Oil in the fuel and drive the car prior to dormant winter storage to keep the cyl and rings from developing rust.
2001 KX500
2007 YZ450F
2001 GZ250 (Wife's !)
Old 04-09-2012, 12:59 AM   #19
b1pig

i agree with the leaning out at higher rpm. my wife's GZ was lean across the rpm range. adjusting the carb as per the writeup on this forum GREATLY improved rideability and power. fuel economy suffered, obviously, but you gotta give something up, i guess. my wife's bike also sat up and the carb gunked up, requiring a removal and thorough cleaning. i just pulled the jets out and sprayed alot of carb cleaner through it. i think i might have run pipe cleaners through some of larger ports as well. put it back together and the thing ran perfectly.

make sure the clamp on the carb throat is snug, too.

one way to check the vacuum port on the petcock, remove it from the back/center of the petcock and plug it. put the petcock in "prime" and you can take it for a quick ride. if the lean-out problem is gone, then the diaphram may be leaking.... check the vacuum line for dry-rot or cracks also.

also, another thought.
if the bike was sold in a lower altitude and you purchased it and live at a higher altitude, this can certainly affect the performance. if i remember correctly, there are jet sets intended for low or high altitude bikes. not sure if this was USA only.