Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 10-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #11
Water Warrior 2

Re: 2001 GZ won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqrimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
If it starts the plug is firing. When you start the bike try to back off the choke a bit(slowly)as it warms up. I think you may just be not familiar enough with the bike yet.
Oh, before I forget. If/when you jump the bike from a car be sure the car is NOT RUNNING. Bad things can happen.
ah crap. The car was indeed running when I jumped the bike. What kind of bad things happen? Also how long am i suppose to let it sit on the choke to warm up? it was a cool day, not necessarily cold.

again, thanks for all of your inputs, i am definitely taking into consideration everything in trying to troubleshoot this thing. cheers
First off the choke is actually a fuel enrichener rather than a real choke as we know it but the end effect it the same. If/when the bike starts the engine will warm up and the rpm will increase with the enriched fuel mixture. You have to back off the choke a little at a time as the rpm increases. This is a learned response and it will be up to you to judge the rpm. Do not just let the engine race at full choke, just slowly reduce choke as the rpm increases. It is just a little dance step to learn. If you let the engine run at full choke for too long it will just shut off due to an over rich mixture when the engine gets warmer. That happened a couple times on Lynda's GZ and to restart it she just shut off the choke, opened the throttle 1/4 and hit the start button. The added throttle opening allowed the extra air to clear the rich fuel mixture.
On to the bad things that could happen jumping from a running car. I will let Alantf explain that. He is our #1 electrical guru here and his knowledge is invalueable to us. He is a retired Welshman living on an island off the coast of Africa.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-02-2012, 04:48 AM   #12
alantf

Quote:
He is a retired Welshman living on an island off the coast of Africa.
A "Taffy" indeed !!!!!! :poke2: The only good thing to come out of Wales is the main road. The sign says "Welcome to Wales", Well..... You're welcome to it! :whistle:
Old 10-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #13
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
He is a retired Welshman living on an island off the coast of Africa.
A "Taffy" indeed !!!!!! :poke2: The only good thing to come out of Wales is the main road. The sign says "Welcome to Wales", Well..... You're welcome to it! :whistle:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: My first laugh of the day. And it's only 9:00 in the morning. Thank you Alantf. Now please explain to our new member about the ugly things a running car can do to a GZ while boosting/jump starting.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #14
alantf

Basically, using a car battery is fine. It's just 12v to 12v. It's when the car's running that the problem occurs. The cause of the problem is not the battery (voltage), but the car's charging system. It's putting out much more current (amperes) than the small bike battery can handle, so it's liable to fry the bike's battery. Think of it this way - you can use a high current to charge a car battery, with no problems, but only around a maximum of 2 amps (Suzuki recommend 0.75 amps) to charge the bike battery.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:05 AM   #15
Rookie Rider

Arent these guys great ?

Old 10-03-2012, 12:45 AM   #16
Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Rider
Arent these guys great ?
:plus1:
Old 10-03-2012, 12:47 AM   #17
Water Warrior 2

Alantf, question for you. If you have a running car hooked up to a bike is there a chance other electrical components would be damaged if the key and kill button are on? I know it is still 12 volts but.....................?
Old 10-03-2012, 05:41 AM   #18
alantf

Quote:
If you have a running car hooked up to a bike is there a chance other electrical components would be damaged if the key and kill button are on?
There certainly is. "Theoretically" a fuse should blow, and save the circuits, but who knows what can happen, with a sudden power surge?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #19
sqrimp

thanks for the schooling guys, I'll be taking friday morning off from work to snoop around on the bike. I'll report my findings when I can
Old 10-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #20
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
If you have a running car hooked up to a bike is there a chance other electrical components would be damaged if the key and kill button are on?
There certainly is. "Theoretically" a fuse should blow, and save the circuits, but who knows what can happen, with a sudden power surge?
Which brings up another potential disaster in the making. What if some one has replaced a small fuse with a larger fuse. A melted wiring harness would be nothing to look forward to as an afternoon's entertainment.