Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 02-11-2015, 11:47 AM   #1
Harry4444

2002 GZ 250 dies while driving

Hey Guys,
New to the forum here! My 2002 GZ250 cuts out on the freeway every now and then and I have to hit the starter to get it to start again. it just dies and lugs down the engine and won't restart by the momentum..? Any help would be great... I've ordered a new rectifier but I don't know if that's really the issue... just an idea.

thanks again!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-11-2015, 10:52 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry4444 View Post
Hey Guys,
New to the forum here! My 2002 GZ250 cuts out on the freeway every now and then and I have to hit the starter to get it to start again. it just dies and lugs down the engine and won't restart by the momentum..? Any help would be great... I've ordered a new rectifier but I don't know if that's really the issue... just an idea.

thanks again!
Stop the rectifier purchase. That likely isn't it. Don't throw parts at the bike till you really know the problem.
How long are you on the freeway before it shuts down and how fast are you going? Sounds like a temporary fuel starvation situation. If the vent in the gas cap is partially plugged you will get a vacuum in the tank and stop the gravity feed to the carb. Next time it shuts down just pop the cap off for a moment and try to start the bike. When popping the gas cap off just listen real close for a whooshing sound of air entering the tank.
Also give us a little info on the bike. Any maintenance you have done and mileage.

Last edited by Water Warrior 2; 02-11-2015 at 10:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-12-2015, 10:47 AM   #3
Harry4444

2002 with 3600 miles. owned it for 1200 miles and haven't done any maintenance to speak of. The reason I'm thinking rectifier instead of a fuel supply issue is that the bike doesn't seem to have any consistency with when the problem happens. it'll cut out going 40 after be started up, cut out going 70 after 20 minutes on the freeway, at stop lights, etc.. but it will start right back up when I hit the start but won't start from just letting the clutch out and essentially push starting it in 5th if it cuts out on the freeway....

I just pull the clutch in, hit the starter and then i'm back in business....

Old 02-12-2015, 05:41 PM   #4
raul10141964

may be one of the safety switches
bad rectifier will drain the battery
Old 02-13-2015, 05:41 AM   #5
alantf

If it is one of the safety switches, it must be the side stand switch. The other safety switches are only used to let power flow to the starter motor(and the starter motor is not in use when the bike is running) but the side stand switch cuts the motor if it's down when in gear. Can't really see it being that, though, because you'd have to put the stand up and down a couple of times (to clear the fault) before it would restart.

BTW... Don't try "push starting" in 5th. A lower gear is better.