Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 02-22-2011, 11:21 PM   #1
Zdoes

Z n' Me (story and looking for parts)

So I'm new to ridin', GZ 250's, and forums. I bought Z (2000 GZ 250 w/ 7000miles) in August 2010 and it was my first motorcycle ever. The following month I left my job in PA and I rode out across USA, just Z n' me. Of course, I had the service manual with me and there were several fixes along the way. I rode for 2 months and put 9,553 miles on the bike. This bike handles amazingly, had great mileage (even with my loaded saddlebags + my 6000 cu. in. pack it was getting 65mpg), and I was even able to get it up to 85mph (going downhill, w/ wind in AZ). But sadly, it died on me...only 30 minutes from my home!!

In TX I met a guy who had the gauges for the valve clearance. All of them were clear, except the left exhaust was a little tight. I decided not to adjust. Fast forward several weeks to the last day of riding, I start to hear some crazy noises but decided to forge ahead because I was almost home. Catastrophic failure occurred, the valve hit the piston head, which bent it, broke it and drove it into the cylinder head. And everyone on this page knows our bikes are one and done...

I have joined this forum because I was hoping I could find some parts. I am looking for a cylinder head as well as a piston, or if that's too selective I will buy an engine off of someone.

Also, if anyone is interested to hear some stories or some great roads to check out across America hit me up. Some greats were Highway 129 (or "Tail of the Dragon"), Highway 50 through CO, and Road G from CO into UT (takes you past a BLM called Ancients Canyons) to name a few.

Login or Register to Remove Ads