Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 04-16-2008, 04:05 PM   #11
LilNinja77

Quote:
So true. I've had several instances where quick reactions and having a good place to go have saved my life.

Most recently, just making my way through a parking lot along the store front, some SUV decides to come out of one of the lanes in the lot--right into me. He never even looked at what was coming from the right. I laid on the horn (before I got the air horn blaster) and swerved off into the lane reserved for firetrucks. He looks at me like, "What the hell is your problem."

Another thing I learned from this is that it's a good idea to let it go and just know people are going to do stupid things, then act like it's your fault. I followed him to where he eventually parked, and we had ourselves a confrontation. Not worth it, in hindsight. Lesson learned.
Yep, parking lots are like mine fields of idiots just waiting to ruin a good day. Your idea of letting it go and pretending it's your own fault is very smart, cause it'll just make you try to learn better ways of avoiding those morons. In the end it won't matter who had the right of way, we (as riders) are always the party who will play the losing hand in the event of a collision, so we might as well just learn to be very evasive creatures. Ride like every single cager out there is trying their hardest to kill you, and just maybe you'll make it home safe and sound, that's my creed. Someone on the "other" forum I'm active in posted this a while back:
"When I am a master of motorcycle ninjistu, I will be as the housefly. The actions of the earthly world will unfold with liquid slowness because they are seen a thousand times faster than I had once seen them. I will react and streak away from a car as a fly flees the clumsy hand- with impunity and grace."

My personal favorite parking lot incident was at a Walmart several months ago. I had loaded up my luggage with groceries and was preparing to head home, so I backed out of my space and fired her up. Just as I was starting to move, I saw something bright out of the corner of my eye off to the left. Not knowing what it was, I slowed down to see if I could see it again. About that time a gold ford explorer with big shiny rims came flying by from in between some parked cars about 2 bike-lengths ahead of me, going at least 25 mph. The explorer shot over through two more lanes of cars and made a sharp left turn, and hauled-a$$ out to the intersection, running the red light and never looking back. Who knows what was going on, I sure don't and in the end it wouldn't matter even if I did. What matters is that I got lucky by noticing something seemingly unimportant and it very well could have saved me from a lot of pain, or worse considering I probably would've been sandwiched between two cars if I had gotten hit. I rode over to the other lane he had barreled through to see if anyone else needed a change of undies :tongue: , and sure enough there was a young lady with two little girls walking beside her who had been almost as close as I was. They were a bit more shaken up than me (I guess riding gets you used to coming close to death), but nobody was hurt so I went along my way and rode back home. Oh well, all in a days' ride I suppose.
Ride safe

~By a route obscure and lonely,
haunted by ill angels only~

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-17-2008, 02:25 PM   #12
Comike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilNinja77
Yep, parking lots are like mine fields of idiots just waiting to ruin a good day. Your idea of letting it go and pretending it's your own fault is very smart, cause it'll just make you try to learn better ways of avoiding those morons.
Whoops, I made an awkward sentence there. What I meant to say was: people will always do stupid things and try to act like it was your fault, but you just need to let it go because in the end, if no one is hurt, that's all that matters. I wasn't saying to pretend like it's your fault when someone else screws up.

:chop:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilNinja77
In the end it won't matter who had the right of way, we (as riders) are always the party who will play the losing hand in the event of a collision, so we might as well just learn to be very evasive creatures. Ride like every single cager out there is trying their hardest to kill you, and just maybe you'll make it home safe and sound, that's my creed. Someone on the "other" forum I'm active in posted this a while back:
"When I am a master of motorcycle ninjistu, I will be as the housefly. The actions of the earthly world will unfold with liquid slowness because they are seen a thousand times faster than I had once seen them. I will react and streak away from a car as a fly flees the clumsy hand- with impunity and grace."

My personal favorite parking lot incident was at a Walmart several months ago. I had loaded up my luggage with groceries and was preparing to head home, so I backed out of my space and fired her up. Just as I was starting to move, I saw something bright out of the corner of my eye off to the left. Not knowing what it was, I slowed down to see if I could see it again. About that time a gold ford explorer with big shiny rims came flying by from in between some parked cars about 2 bike-lengths ahead of me, going at least 25 mph. The explorer shot over through two more lanes of cars and made a sharp left turn, and hauled-a$$ out to the intersection, running the red light and never looking back. Who knows what was going on, I sure don't and in the end it wouldn't matter even if I did. What matters is that I got lucky by noticing something seemingly unimportant and it very well could have saved me from a lot of pain, or worse considering I probably would've been sandwiched between two cars if I had gotten hit. I rode over to the other lane he had barreled through to see if anyone else needed a change of undies :tongue: , and sure enough there was a young lady with two little girls walking beside her who had been almost as close as I was. They were a bit more shaken up than me (I guess riding gets you used to coming close to death), but nobody was hurt so I went along my way and rode back home. Oh well, all in a days' ride I suppose.
Ride safe
Nice intuition there. And I like the ninjitsu quote. I actually do practice martial arts, and I can tell you there is quite a lot of it applicable to riding. Humility, awareness, speed, technique. You have to listen to your gut when the alarms go off, and you have to rely on your skill to handle the situation that arises. When I'm on the bike, I soak up everything in a radius around me with all my senses. It's actually making me a better car driver, too. And, believe it or not, a better martial artist, and a better guy to walk my girlfriend down the street at night. To me, the key is awareness. On a bike, you have to couple awareness with being seen. And even then it's still a risk. It all boils down to the fact that you are responsible for your own life out there, in every way, every facet, and every nuance. Riding really IS a practice in meditation.

This past weekend, I was in a parking lot at Lowe's behind a big van with a handicapped plate on. I was far enough behind that I could move if I needed to. Anyway, the guy sees the open handicapped spot and slams on his brakes. I was ready for that, so I slow to a stop about a bike length behind him. What I DIDN'T expect was that he was going to to try to back up and park in the spot next to it, closer to the building. Reverse lights come on at the same time he backs up. I'm throwing my head over my shoulder to look behind while furiously pushing myself back. I laid on the horn (thank God for those freeway blasters) and he stopped for a second. Relived, I thought it was over. Nope, he slammed on the accelerator again, coming back faster than I could push myself away. I had JUST enough room to open the throttle and get past him to the left (which I was avoiding because I couldn't see around him). Fortunately, nothing was coming and I got around and parked.

On the walk towards the building, I passed he and his wife--they both looked at me and smiled and nodded. They never even saw my bike behind them. I waved back, smiled, and let it go. You really are on your own out there. And you can never rely on luck. I pray every time I ride. I do my part, and rely on God to do his.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:06 PM   #13
LilNinja77

Oh oops, guess I read that the wrong way...oh well, either way it works :tongue:
Yes meditation is a good way of rationalizing the whole process of trying to stay alive while riding. I agree about it making you safer and more aware in your other pursuits as well, you just intuitively begin to become more keen to the things going on around you, regardless of whether you're riding at the moment or not. Stay safe out there!
Ride safe

Old 04-18-2008, 09:25 AM   #14
Comike14

This is kinda cool:

Last night on TV, I saw my first public service announcement about motorcycles. It was a commercial with a bunch of riders saying "I watch out for you..." "I watch out for you..." "I want to get home to my kids" "I want to get to work" "I want to stay alive" "I watch out for you..." "Will you watch out for us?"

And the governor walks out and says to keep an eye out for motorcycles. Pretty neat--I guess they're noticing the number of people on two wheels increasing because of the gas prices.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:25 PM   #15
badfun

Send a message via AIM to badfun
I'd have to agree even today it was rainy and 45 this morning I saw numerous bikes and scooters commuting.
I always liked this PSA from England.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:51 AM   #16
JIBTEXHNKA

Send a message via AIM to JIBTEXHNKA
all this "pretend like it's your fault" talk seems a little backwards to me. if an SUV almost blindsides you and you wave it off like it wasn't his fault, he's going to drive away thinking "stupid biker" and do the same thing the next day. he needs to realize that what he did is NOT okay. i'm not saying you should follow him and get into a big argument, but use your horn and let him know that he almost hit you. he might still give you a dirty look, but he'll know it was his own fault and maybe, just maybe, he'll look a little closer next time.

people drive like idiots because they know they can get away with it. something as simple as honking your horn in disapproval at leasts lets them know that they did something wrong. whether or not they do anything about it is up to them.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:31 AM   #17
LilNinja77

Your post was one of the most contradictory statements I've heard in a while. If that hypothetical SUV almost blindsides you and you honk at him, then the driver is REALLY gonna say "stupid biker" and do the same thing the next day....perhaps on purpose. Using your horn isn'/shouldn't be a way of letting people know they did something wrong, it's merely a tool to get yourself noticed in an emergency, in the attempt to try and not get run over. Most car drivers aren't going to recognize you honking at them as a sign that they were at fault for something, and this is because most car drivers honk at eachother when they are mad or in a hurry and drivig like jackasses. Personally I rarely use my horn in that kind of situation, my time and energy is better spent by riding evasively and looking forward to the next jackass who is waiting to kill me. I'm not saying for you (the rider) to actually believe that the SUV driver wasn't at fault, I'm just saying that in the end it won't do you any good regardless of who was "right" or who was "wrong". In the end you (on the motorcycle) will always come out as the loser in a collision, so you are better served by honing your own traffic-avoidance skills than by simply passing blame on an inattentive driver. And you're right, people drive like morons because they know they won't suffer any negative-feedback as a result.........and there's not a damn thing you, me, or anyone else who is riding a motorcycle can do to change that while we are out there riding......horn honking, middle-finger raising, stop-light yelling......none of it is gonna actually change anything about how that driver percieves things while he/she is driving. You'll be much safer by just using those experiences as opportunities to improve your riding skills.

I'm not saying this is something you would do, but I'd like to share a quick story that was posted on the Ninja 250 forum not terribly long ago. A young rider got side-swiped by a car coming home from work (at least this is how I understood the incident). He made the classic mistake of following the car, I suppose in the attempt to confront the teenage driver....I dunno, no one really knows except for the rider. Well no one can ask him what happened, because the female driver called her father while on the way home, and Mr. Man proceeded to shoot the motorcyclist as he rode by the driveway/house. He didn't get off the bike and start yelling, he obviously couldn't have posed a threat (he was on the friggin motorcycle!!!).......he got shot in the back while riding away.

I'm not saying any of this is try and debate with you, I'm saying it because I've personally known people who actually look for chances to F#$% with motorcycles on the road. Right or wrong doesn't matter out there on the road, just worry about making it home safely; those idiots who seem to try and hit you can't be stopped.....all you can do is keep on avoiding them. Be safe out there and ride to be seen!
Ride safe

Old 05-27-2008, 08:58 PM   #18
5th_bike

Hmm, two years ago I had a driver safety course and the instructor was really 'horn happy', she said that the horn is a wonderful instrument to let other people know that you're there. You got it - use it.

About two weeks ago I was about to pass a car, the driver signaled to get over, while starting to cross the line, into my path, so I honked and the driver went back in his lane and waived like 'sorry' and I waived back like 'ok'.

It's just how you use it, one or two short honks to let them know is fine, but once you go to the seconds of aggravated honking, insulting gestures etc. you're asking for trouble. And if the jerk just pushes through so you have to break or avoid them, I always think some day they will meet someone just like them, and there will be some damage.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:06 AM   #19
JIBTEXHNKA

Send a message via AIM to JIBTEXHNKA
obviously, if the driver is just looking to cause trouble honking will only just make things worse. but for the other 99% of drivers who are just clueless or aren't paying attention, a friendly honk at least makes them aware that they almost hit you. they're not going to change anything if they don't even know they did something wrong. i didn't mean to sound like you should lay on the horn and glare at people.

you should definitely do your best to ride defensively and avoid close calls, but when someone changes lanes right into you or turns without looking and you have to swerve around them, letting them know you were there by honking lets them know that they could have hit you and maybe next time they'll pay more attention. they might get a little upset at the time but i'm out there to stay alive, not to make drivers feel good about themselves.

if i was driving my SUV and i almost blindsided anyone (car or bike) and they just sped up/slowed down and nothing happened i wouldn't think much of it and the next day i'd be just as stupid. but if they tapped the horn a little i'd wake up from my car-induced coma and i'd realize i did something stupid.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:40 AM   #20
LilNinja77

I think I see a little better where you're coming from, my apologies if my own post sounded a bit too antagonistic :oops: . Although to 5th_bike I would say just to remember that not EVERYTHING the MSF instructors say is an absolute truth. I say this as a personal friend to a couple MSF instructors, a lot of the things they teach/say are merely guidelines. I'm not saying don't use your horn, but I am saying don't use it to the point of actually causing dangerous situations. Also, don't expect it to fix the situation, I've seen too many people who think that by honking their horn that somehow they'll be able to move the driver who just cut them off. I dunno, maybe the cage drivers are just extra-stupid around here or something, but honking (even a friendly honk) just seems to cause more trouble than it helps around here. Then again, it doesn't help that my bike appears to be a sportbike.........seems like that alone is enough to paint a big red bullseye on your back.....actually one of the reasons I'm considering trading in and getting something new.

I've had all manner of things thrown out of windows at me (fast food, lit cigarettes, milkshakes, misc. garbage), been spit on at stoplights by other drivers, have found my bike keyed and spit on in a parking lot, have had a crazy backroads redneck try and run me over.........and I can swear to you that if I hadn't been on a Kawasaki Ninja (or any other sportbike) none of this would've happened. People just don't like sportbikes around here, it's Harley country and people get defensive about it. At first I could handle it without it bothering me, but it's getting old and frankly more dangerous than I prefer.

To clarify, since my big mouth sort of ran around some, in most normal everyday situations of merely inattentive drivers, I'm sure a quick friendly honk would be a good idea. I do like to send out a quick "honk honk" when I'm about to cross by a blind intersection/turn, just in case there's someone waiting to pull out. Sorry again if I came off a little :cuss: earlier. Have fun out there.
Ride safe