Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > GZ250 Media

Old 06-04-2011, 08:28 AM   #11
geezer

Re: Finally got it running last night!

im not to thrilled with the fuel mailage either. i get 66 mostly 55mph plus so maybe if someone wer to ride nothing but city streets only going 40 or so they could get the suzuki claimd number of 80mpg

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-04-2011, 12:40 PM   #12
Water Warrior 2

The claimed MPG is under ideal conditions with a professional rider. Suzuki claims my my Vstrom will deliver 66 miles per gallon on a U.S. gallon. Yeah, like that will happen soon. For a rider in my neighborhood ideal conditions means twisties, hills and the chance to outrun the cages uphill with the twist of the throttle. Toss in sunshine and a blue sky and life doesn't care about MPG.
It's all good.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:11 PM   #13
advant63

Quote:
I love my little 380 but, have always contemplated a bigger GT. Have you owned/rode both? Just wondering what the 550's like in comparison.
cooteboy, i haven't ridden any other triples, but the 550 will plug along at 60 or 70 all day. i've changed a few things to make it more rideable,
such as gs450 wheels(tubeless), fork mod, uni filters in stock box, dual disc w/ katana rotors, smaller rear sprocket, superbike bars, h.i.d./ l.e.d lights.
the only thing it won't do is go 125 miles on a tank of fuel.
i run with vintage brit bikes so it doesn't get pushed to hard. :poke2:

geezer, something gives me a feeling you may stretch your throttle cable a little tighter than the average gz'er. your mileage will vary.

my u.s. spec gz was claimed to be 85mpg. it was so lean... well there's no analogy for it. it was just so lean.
i've done the needle mod and idle adj. and would recommend it if only to prevent head crack/ valve burn. not to mention blue pipes.
thanks to jaime for his pictorial. he made it child's play.
i have a 130 and 132 main jets but don't know if i'll try them. my wife is happy with it now.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #14
geezer

advant63, while i am fast through the twisties i know how to baby a vehicle to get max fuel economy. but i am 220 lbs and live in a very hilly area and i commute 40mils throught most of those hills everyday to work so sure i probably am unintentionally pushing it, but sometimes i have to downshift to 4th and hold parthrottle to get up hills no way around that. anyway please pretty please tell me all the mods you did to your bike.seems like a faily large jet to use there. i just moved up one setting to a 125, shimed the needle and have screw at 3 turns. whats your elevation? are the mods realy making a difference for you? have you inspected you sparkplug sence you did this? cool dude let me kno
Old 06-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #15
advant63

geezer i am in southern ontario= flat as nebraska. 230 meters elevation. i'm on the stock jet, just shimmed and i don't know where the idle screw is other than where it ran best. probably close to yours. the larger jets were to take it to the next level with the air filter and muffler opened up. my wife is considerably lighter than either of us and as a new rider she doesn't push it at all. i never rode it with the 15t sprocket. i guess load and terrain make the difference.