Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 01-27-2017, 12:29 PM   #1
Pmhearns

Carb rebuild

I have searched and searched on this forum and others alike but cannot find what I am looking for.

I am fairly new to carburetors, I have basic knowledge and by no means, consider myself educated at all. I am trying to 'clean and rebuild' my son's(17year old) carb off his newly purchased 2000 gz250. Each time we showed up at the guys house, it started up fine and rode but with choke on. After avoutb10 minutes of light riding I realized the carb was still on. I turned it off and it still raneeds fairly well. When I slowed to idle the bikes rpm slowly dropped and at times I had to shift up and let the transmission slow the rpm.

I figured ok, let's clean the carb. Bought an eBay kit(only one I can find unless I buy parts individual) I noticed on partzilla the diagram is different from the service manual. There are 2 rings on the pilot screw and the screw sits too far out for there to be a cover over it. The service manual only says ring and a cover... agsin, there is no cover because the needle sits proud of the orifice in which it sits. So is there only 1 ring or 2??

Lastly, the needle jet seat looks as if someone tried removing it and failed. The upper lip is all chewed up, and I can't figure out how to get that bugger out!

Any help?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-29-2017, 08:01 PM   #2
Flathead

Flathead here.
Glad you are here to ask questions.
I am trying to picture what you are talking about. The best thing would be pictures as terminology can be bad. Pictures are always better. I am glad to help. Look at this link then tell me your issues.
http://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemp...d3e/carburetor

Last edited by Flathead; 01-29-2017 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Trying to get an a URL for Pmhearns
Old 01-30-2017, 02:17 PM   #3
Pmhearns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead View Post
Flathead here.
Glad you are here to ask questions.
I am trying to picture what you are talking about. The best thing would be pictures as terminology can be bad. Pictures are always better. I am glad to help. Look at this link then tell me your issues.
http://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemp...d3e/carburetor

I miss spoke, apolgies,the diagrams are the same, still, the kitsi found only include 1 small one o ring. Listed as 23 and 24. There was no additional ring in there, only one severely boogered up one, a spring and the screw. Also, according to the service manual, mine being American, should have 26a(the cover) but the screw bottoms out before there would be room for a cover.

Anyway, I have since 'fixed' the carburetor and no leaks, and I can get it to idle. Until I stumbled accRoss a vacuum leak. It will in reserve fairly well, bogging occasionally and the high Rev happening rarely and slowly... if I run it in 'on' it sky rockets, I choke it and it slows then dies. I recently discovered also I likely have a blown head gasket which would causes these 'vacuum loss' symptoms I'm guessing?

Thanks for the response flat head

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-15-2017, 10:52 AM   #4
Pmhearns

Any comments? I replaced the main diaphragm and drained and took off petcock and cleaned and drained the tank and put fresh fuel. I adjusted the valves, they were slightly out but not so much... both on the lower side. Intake at .001 and exhaust. 0025. Bike had to push start, with a fresh battery(stator issue?)

Bike would only start with the choke off, if throttle is lethe go it dies. Smoke puffing out of the front and oil on the front of the jug. Pooling on several of the blades. Head gasketc blown causing massive compression loss being the bane of this 250?